The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 9, 2007, 11:30 AM   #1
jtaylor

Uberti, Beretta or Taurus ??( Colt Lightning Rifle )

I'm set on getting a Colt Lighning Rifle clone. I have a few Uberti's ( BP and SAA ) and the quality is great, but the Uberti Lightning holds only 10 rounds, compared to 13 for Beretta and 14 for Taurus.
The Beretta is made at the Uberti factory, but has a few different specs.
Aprox costs, Beretta Goldrush rifle, $1300, Uberti Lightning Rifle, $1100, Taurus Thunderbolt, $550, ( Half the price of the others!!! )
I like the Beretta the best so far since it has good reviews and nice figured walnut and rich case color.
Basically, I'd like more info on the Taurus, from anyone who has owned or used one. For it's price, I'd go that route. The Walnut looks pretty plain and unimpressive on some, great on others. Does it feed well? It will slam fire, but the Uberti's and Berettas won't, so they must have a different design.
Any advice will help, I'm still unsure which one to get!
Old October 9, 2007, 02:12 PM   #2
SundownRider

The Taurus had some teething troubles, as any new gun in that market will. Some people have had nothing but trouble, others (myself included) have nothing but good luck with them. Would I buy another one? No, I don't want to ruin my luck. Would I endorse them? Sure, but I am only endorsing MINE. The Stainless versions look interesting, and with use will slick up right nicely. Down side is they only seem to be available in one caliber.
Beretta's Gold Rush is a good rifle, nicely put together, but for the price I can buy an original.
Uberti/Cimarron/Navy Arms are of good quality as well, and available in more calibers.

Speaking of calibers, I have heard the best rounds for this type of gun are the "dashers" 44-40, 38-40.

Your mileage may vary.

Good luck. They are extremely fun to shoot, and faster than any levergun if you do your part.
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them...They make the battle. Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior... and He will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)
Old October 9, 2007, 05:18 PM   #3
jtaylor

Thanks. I'm looking at a Stainless one. that's another selling point for the Beretta, although it loses it's original looks with stainless.
I'll have to go find ne and check it out somehow! Otherwise, I'm ok with waitng and getting the Uberti or Beretta. It's odd that the Uberti says it only holds 10 rounds when the others are 13 or 14, It may be a misprint on their site. They say both the rifles and Carbines only hold 10.
Old October 9, 2007, 09:52 PM   #4
jtaylor

I meant Taurus, the Taurus comes in Stainless, not the Beretta.
Old October 9, 2007, 10:12 PM   #5
jtaylor

Here's a question, do you think that the Uberti butt stock will fit on the Taurus? I can get a finished Butt stock with plate, in nice figured walnut for $175. I found a used stainless Taurus for $430, so if I can fit the nicer wood to it, It'd be very nice!! The wood finish on the Taurus just doesn't look too good otherwise.
Old October 11, 2007, 10:22 AM   #6
SundownRider

You'd be surprised at some of the wood you might find under the finishes on the Taurus. I took off the dark stain on one and the figured walnut hiding underneath was gorgeous. The earlier models (serial number starting with Y) had great wood, but as production heated up they went to lesser quality. I personally love the wood on my Thunderbolt.

Can't say if the other stock would fit. You can try it, but I would spend that money on ammo. There's a takedown procedure somewhere if I can find it I'll PM it to you.

Check out the article on www.gunblast.com on the Thunderbolt (you'll need to check the archives)

Good luck, and happy shooting. If you get a range report, I'd like to hear it. Mine was accurate enough to be boring. I used a 200 gr RNFP bullet, sized .452. Some have had better luck with 250gr bullets.
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them...They make the battle. Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior... and He will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)
Old October 11, 2007, 06:07 PM   #7
jtaylor

Thanks for the help. I was on my way to pick up the used Taurus SS model and I found a great deal on the Beretta at a Local shop.... Go figure. It was too good a deal, a few hundred less than I've seen anywhere.
I bought the 24 1/4" rifle, oct barrel, 13 round in .45lc. They had the Carbines in stock but have to order mine from their supplier. Everything I read about the Taurus is good, but same with the Beretta. The maker of the Beretta is Uberti, so I was glad to find that out, all my Uberti's are amazing quality. They all needed minor tuning ( main spring, trigger... ) but all are built well and have nice grips.
I do reload, just started a month ago with a Dillon AT-500, but it's almost fully uprgaded to a RL550-B so far. I'll have to watch the OAL it seems for the pump guns.
I still really like that stainless Taurus, I'll have to keep an eye out for them.
I'll post again when this Beretta is in and I'll put up a picture. I had a hard time finding any info or pictures online, other than the one from Beretta!
I hate when a seller is selling a firearm and gives you the stock press release picture from the manufacturer! I'm just picky about the woods on my guns I guess...
Old October 11, 2007, 11:08 PM   #8
Crosshair

The problem with the Taurus is that the barrel is just too darned long at 26". They should take off 6" of that at least. Mabee make a 20" and a 26". I want something a little shorter.
Old October 12, 2007, 12:29 AM   #9
jtaylor

The Carbine I saw seemed too short. The Beretta/Uberti's are in 24 1/4" Which seems just right.
Anyone recommend any specific loads for these? I reload for my SAA, 250g Laser cast RNFP with 7.5g Unique and some with 8.5g Unique. Those may be fine for the rifle too, but I bet it can take a heavier load, maybe 9, 9.5 g.
Old November 27, 2007, 10:11 AM   #10
Jbar4Ranch

The word from the dealers/distributors is that Taurus has discontinued their Thunderbolt and Gaucho single actions, but I haven't been able to absolutely confirm that. Despite their rather dismal reputation, I bought a blued Thunderbolt a couple days ago, NIB, from Sportsman's Warehouse for $465, and it has digested its first hundred rounds without a hiccup. The Taurus was only made in .45 Colt, the .357 version never made it to market.

SASS 47015

Last edited by Jbar4Ranch; November 27, 2007 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Sportsman's Surplus > Sportsman's Warehouse
Old November 27, 2007, 11:51 AM   #11
jtaylor

You know, after I finally went to see the Taurus thunderbolt in person, it's pretty nice. The wood finish is awful, looks like those toy rubber band guns you see... But, the fit and action and overall quality is fine. A great gun for the money, I want to get one in Stainless eventually if available.
Old November 27, 2007, 11:58 AM   #12
Jbar4Ranch

From what I've seen, the stainless runs about a hundred bucks more than the blued version. We also have a stainless one at the store, and it's exactly $100more than the blued one I brought home.

SASS 47015
Old November 29, 2007, 01:10 AM   #13
Grizz Adams

If you really want a nice one that works, check out USFA. A bit more expensive, but worth the money. "The sweetness of a bargain is soon forgotten by the bitterness of poor quality."

http://www.usfirearms.com/cat/lightningrifle.asp

Kinda big site, so stroll around a bit!

Hey JBar, hows it going?
Old November 29, 2007, 09:56 AM   #14
Jbar4Ranch

AWA has a good reputation too, or anything with the initials EP on it. (Eldon Penner, the Lightning guru)

SASS 47015
Old December 10, 2007, 04:44 PM   #15
DensityMan

Does anyone have any links or anecdotes to provide on the performance of the Lightning replicas (especially the Uberti) using "hunting loads" in 45 cal.?

Most everything I've been able to find has been focused solely on cowboy shooting using only cowboy (low powered) loads...

I am fascinated with the Lightning replicas and have had a chance to man-handle both the Uberti and the Taurus; but have not had a chance to fire either, nor have I found anyone locally with any knowledge of their tolerances. For my money the action, fit and styling of the Uberti beat the Taurus, but it is also twice the price. To be fair, the fit was a close race, but the finish tipped the scale to Uberti. /shrug

It's been guessed at by the local gun guru that the Lightning replica could handle the Winchester 225 gr. Super-X® Silvertip® Hollow Points, but looking for a little confirmation. I want to take advantage of Indiana's newly loosened rifle/cartridge laws next season AND play with it at SASS events; so just looking to make sure it isn't made simply for show and able to handle 225-250 gr. loads for hunting deer.

Thanks,

DM
Old December 25, 2007, 09:38 PM   #16
therizzzo

Hi, my first post. I sell guns for a living - specifically CAS guns. I've handled the Taurus and Uberti versions of the Lightnings - both are decent shooters. The best of the Lightnings out there IMHO is the Pedersoli version. Of course, it is a bit pricier than the Uberti and a LOT higher than the Taurus. Build quality and finish(deluxe versions) and superb on the Pedersoli. I haven't handled a USFA yet so I can't comment. But, the Pedersoli version is highly recommended by me.
Old December 25, 2007, 11:38 PM   #17
Mike Irwin
Staff

In my case, whomever brings out a .50-95 first.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 26, 2007, 10:32 PM   #18
therizzzo

There probably won't ever be a 50-95 in a Lightning. The Uberti built 1876
Centennial's are nice. And Ten-X has the ammo available.
Old December 28, 2007, 11:20 AM   #19
DensityMan

Quote:
It's been guessed at by the local gun guru that the Lightning replica could handle the Winchester 225 gr. Super-X® Silvertip® Hollow Points, but looking for a little confirmation. I want to take advantage of Indiana's newly loosened rifle/cartridge laws next season AND play with it at SASS events; so just looking to make sure it isn't made simply for show and able to handle 225-250 gr. loads for hunting deer.
Anyone here actually have experience shooting one of the Uberti models with hunting loads in .45 colt?