The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 7, 2013, 03:16 PM   #1
omeratwood

Bushmaster Two Stage trigger

Just got another new Bushmaster M-XM15-E2S with a factory two stage trigger. The initial stage "take-up / creep" felt a little rough but the action worked fine. So I removed and polished the hammer notch where it contacts the trigger sear, as well well as the trigger sear itself. I used a felt cloth and "HotFash" metal polish. WOW! What a diffrance! The first stage is now very smooth, however now there is not a defined end to the first stage as it just travels and breaks. But here is the problem: If I release the trigger fast after it fires.. it disconnects fine. But if I release the trigger slowly? IT FIRES AGAIN! It did not do this before I polished it?
Anyone out there have any knowledge about these two stage Bushmasters?
Is there a simple fix to delay the disconnector to insure the trigger sear will not slip?
Old February 11, 2013, 01:27 AM   #2
cdbeagle

My FFL got out of the marines a year ago and then started gunsmithing school. He builds custom AR's for people and really knows his stuff. FWIW he told me to never mess with the trigger on an AR and I went with his advice. Instead, when I bought AR's for my son and I the first thing I did was purchase Timney triggers for them. They are fantastic. The cost of the triggers has delayed purchasing optics but I think it was well worth it. If you want to purchase another stock trigger I have two DPMS triggers and will sell you one.
Old February 11, 2013, 11:57 PM   #3
hagar

The Bushmaster NM triggers have a very poor reputation for exactly this reason. After about 800 rounds they wear to the point where they would double (or worse). You just made it wear faster. Put a Rock River Arms in there, or if you can afford it, a Geiselle or Timney.
Old March 2, 2013, 06:25 PM   #4
omeratwood

Okay I just ordered a Geisselle SSA Enhanced. Pronounced: "Guys-Lee" or "Guys-Lay" is a strange name, but have good reviews. Yea I've already repaced the BM factory 2 stage temporary with a Mil-Spec 5 lb. pull until the "Guys-lee" trigger assy. Arrives.
Good to know about others having the same issues. I had to replace the receiver tube also.