The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 25, 2013, 08:09 PM   #1
jethrop

Smith 17-3 long barrel 8-3/8 what is it worth?

I have a 17-3 with box Serial Number 6K49xxx. It is beautiful condition I purchased over 30 years ago, and it was used at the time. It looks new still. Long barrel (rare?). Can anyone tell me the manufacture date and what it may be worth? Thank you.
Old January 25, 2013, 08:28 PM   #2
bamabiker

It comes from 1974.
A lot goes into value...condition, original box, papers, tools, etc. Does it have the original grips? Even the area of the country you are in can make a difference.
I don't see the long barrel very often but I would not call it rare and some don't care for the longer barrels.
With all that said if it is in excellent condition with no box or goodies I'd say
$500 to $600.
That is just my guess. I'm no expert.
Old January 26, 2013, 05:21 PM   #3
jethrop

Thank you. Yes, I have the original box with instructions, cleaning tool, and original grips. Also, has target hammer and target trigger. Appreciate the input. I think I will be putting online to sell.
Old January 26, 2013, 06:13 PM   #4
rockyrider

it sounds like an awesome piece .

I have only seen once with 6 inch barrels and I have 1 myself ,I'd pay all the money for that in fine condition .
Old January 26, 2013, 06:47 PM   #5
wap41

s&w

Check out the prices they are bring on gunbroker,I think you'll find they are bring more than that.
Old January 26, 2013, 07:18 PM   #6
bamabiker

Well now, since you have the box and all the goodies that came with it and if it is in excellent condition I would up that value to $700 to $750.
I bought a 6" LNIB (the guy said it had never been shot) for $575 but that was a couple of years ago. Prices have gone up since then. I've seen some very nice 6" K22s in the box recently marked $750 at local shows but the same guys have had them for a little while.
I don't look at gunbroker too much and prefer to keep a watch on what I see sell locally. There are some deep pocket guys on gunbroker.
Prices are all over the place these days. At the last show I went to a guy had a M63 marked $1250, with no box or anything.
Maybe I need to start collecting knives again.
Old January 27, 2013, 03:08 PM   #7
jason_iowa

I ended up buying a new one because used ones were more expensive.

I got a 4in stainless for 700 I would have paid that for yours as you describe it.
Old January 27, 2013, 07:31 PM   #8
Sevens

I've kept my eyes open at shows lately for a buddy who really, really had been wanting a Model 17. What I've seen are a LOT of 6-inch guns and very few of other barrel lengths. In price, they've got to have some very obvious wear or neglect marks to go much at all under $600, and if they are REALLY nice and with a bunch of original goodies, they go up & up.

There's a fine, active market for the revolver you are describing.

As for my buddy that wanted one... he called me from cloud nine last Sunday afternoon, with new of the 1971 vintage Model 18 he snatched from a gun show by trading a small pocket gun and a little pile of cash to go with it. He's still not come down from that high.