The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 25, 2013, 12:55 PM   #1
Hollowlog

7.35 Carcano

I recently acquired a 7.35 M38 Carcano with Lee loading dies, brass, a couple boxes of hornady 128 grain spitzers and container of H4895. I checked all the loading manuals available at Sportsman's Warehouse and found not a single one that currently publishes load data for this cartridge. I managed to get a hold of two older books from a used book store, a Hornady manual dated 1967 and a Speer manual dated 1965. Both books carry the same 7.35 Carcano data, however, the suggested loads are quite different from the loads published in a data sheet provided by lee with the purchase of the dies.

So for a 128 grain bullet with 4895 powder: the older Hornady and Speer book suggests starting the load at 31 grains and don't exceed 41 grains and the Lee data sheet that came with the die set suggests I start the loads at 27.1 grains and don't exceed 30.8 grains.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or experience in loading this cartridge? or perhaps a more modern book with this cartridge?

Thanks
Old October 25, 2013, 03:40 PM   #2
Roughedge

128 Hornady Hodgdon H-4895
37.0grs
2500 FPS

21.0 Barrel

Found this in mine.
Old October 25, 2013, 05:33 PM   #3
pathdoc

There should be a copyright date on the Lee chart that came with the dies. Check it against your old books. I would be generally inclined to trust the more recent data.

I have run up against the same problem with .303 British but the other way around: Lee and several other sources begin where Hornady stops.

Cartridges of the World, 13th Edition (2012), lists the following loads which I gather are maximum and should be worked up to carefully. You may wish to acquire a copy of this book and check the figures for yourself in case I've screwed up and made typos, but here goes:

128gn SP: 38gn of IMR 3031 OR 40gn of IMR 4895.
150gn SP: 41gn of H380 OR 40gn of IMR4320 OR 38gn of IMR 4895.

COTW does not list specific sources for these loads. I merely present them "as is".

Lee's "Modern Reloading, 2nd Edition" has a wealth of loads too numerous to list here but states they are "reduced from (a) similar cartridge". You may or may not choose to trust those loads. Some of them are probably similar to those you got on the data card, which are no doubt selected for their suitability to be loaded with the "levelled scoop" method (which is also your choice to trust or not trust, as the case may be).

Tags
7.35 , carcano , italian , m38 , reload