The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 15, 2010, 08:14 PM   #1
pck823

Is it too late?

I mentioned this on another post...I received (as a gift) a very nice Beretta from a well-known and reputable dealer about 4 months ago. This particular model is exclusive to this dealer and is 1 of 100 exclusive to this dealer. The premium for this exclusivity was pretty hefty compared to the model it's based off of (the 686 I believe).

Until last week, it's been in the safe. Let's forego all the "you should have..." and the "why didn't you...." If I knew how, I'd put a double facepalm smiley right here. I KNOW I KNOW!! To the point...

After sitting out in the dove field for hours last weekend and starting to really get to know this gun, I noticed that the inletting of the stock is horrendous.

I know it's no Purdey, Boss or H&H, but for the money paid for this gun, I would have expected MUCH better fit and finish.

Do you think I have a real issue here or do I need to just take my lumps? I haven't reached out to the store that I bought it from yet, but was wondering what you all thought. Based on the reputation of this dealer, I am hopeful that they will help me out with this. I saw this model in a catalog, looked at it online and it was ordered online, so it was never fitted to me.

Ideally, the store would agree with me that the fit and inletting is sub-par and have the stock re-finished to improve the inletting and get the wood more aligned with the steel. The stock overhangs the receiver by .5-.6mm on both sides, and the trigger group sits sub-flush of the stock by a full 1mm.

Also, I realize now that this stock has too much drop for me. If they agree to re-finish, re-cut or replace the stock, would it seem like I'm trying to pull one over on them if I ask to have the stock replaced and to decrease the drop while they're at it? My end goal here is to get the inletting cleaned up, but I just figure that while they're at it, they could help me out with the drop as well.

I'll be calling them tomorrow but was just hoping to get some opinoins.
I bought an $800.00 Stevens as a gift to an employee this spring and the furniture fit was easily better than this. Again, I know I should have been more careful up front. Believe me, I won't make this mistake again!

Old September 15, 2010, 08:40 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I will give you $200 for it... But I agree, i wouldn't care for the F&F as is... a few dowel rods and various sandpaper grits... a little spar varnish and I would think I held the cat's meow in my grubby meat snatchers!

Brent
Old September 16, 2010, 10:50 AM   #3
oneounceload

Your stock is fine - it is what is called "proud", meaning it was deliberately done that way so there would be enough wood to allow a later refinishing.

Most better guns, including your Beretta, are made that way by design
Old September 16, 2010, 11:55 AM   #4
Scorch

Whether you paid a premium for it or not, it is still a standard production shotgun, and the wood is produced in a separate location from the rest of the firearm, then they come together for final assembly. There is likely no other fitting done, and typically the wood is left "proud" to allow for shrinking and possible future refinishing of the wood.
Old September 16, 2010, 12:22 PM   #5
BigJimP

Based on the photos - your stock looks fine to me...but if you think it needs some attention take it back to the dealer and discuss it.

Is he going to order you a custom stock - with less drop ...No, ...I can't imagine any dealer would do that - and yes, I think you're asking way too much. These are production guns / not custom guns ....they just have a few unique features ...not hand made custom stocks / the stocks are all standard dimensions and cut my machine. Changing the drop / is something they may not do wherever they make the stocks for this gun - it may or may not be set up as a custom shop vs a production shop...

Bottom line - you ordered it off the internet -- vs seeing it in the shop first and buying it. You can't pick the wood / when you order off the internet / or the fit and finish on the gun you get....and there in lies one of the issues about shopping for guns off the internet. I'm sorry to hear the gun isn't up to your expectations ...but that's why shopping off the internet / for anything other than a plain jane ...standard production gun ...is probably a poor idea / or at least a 50-50 proposition...

If you really want a custom stock ...there are quite a few stockmakers around ...but you're looking at around $ 1,500 - $ 4,000 depending on what you want for wood.
Old September 16, 2010, 12:34 PM   #6
pck823

I appreciate the comments...it seems its simply my unfamiliarity with guns like this that gave me some concern.

So, since this doesn't seem to be a manufacturing quality issue, is this something I should leave alone to allow for expansion/contraction of the wood or would I be safe (if I can justify the expense) to maybe have a new stock made that would clean up the lines and give me a more custom-tailored comb height?
Old September 16, 2010, 12:36 PM   #7
zippy13

My my Beretta's stock is patently proud, too; but, not as much as yours. Perhaps your question to the dealer should be: What are Beretta's tolerance standards, and does your gun exceed them?
Old September 16, 2010, 12:43 PM   #8
BigJimP

I think you should go back and talk to the dealer ...and discuss what you see ...maybe look at some other guns in the shop and compare. Especially if you don't have a lot of experience with Beretta O/U's ...

I don't know what you paid for this gun - care to share the price ? Do you have a good photo of the whole gun ...

I would probably say leave the stock alone / unless it cracks ..
Old September 16, 2010, 01:29 PM   #9
oneounceload

Here is a pic of a Beretta DT-10 their top of the line O/U (outside of their SO's, of course)

You can see how proud that wood is as well. That's a gun costing over $8000
Old September 16, 2010, 02:56 PM   #10
BigJimP

Another reason to buy a Browning ....
Old September 16, 2010, 03:00 PM   #11
BigJimP

I don't have a great close up photo of any of my Brownings ....

but honestly, they're about the same as the Beretta in terms of how they fit the stocks ( here are a couple of Browning Citori, XT's - one on top is standard out of factory / bottom one has an upgraded stock that I bought used a few years ago) ....

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...8&d=1226348855
Old September 16, 2010, 03:48 PM   #12
markj

Quote:
I received (as a gift) a very nice Beretta
Um if it was a gift, it may be rude to take it back and complain about a perfectly good stock.
Old September 19, 2010, 05:06 PM   #13
clemsonbloz

sounds like you need more birds, not a new stock
Old September 20, 2010, 11:54 AM   #14
gyvel

An $800.00 Stevens????
Old September 21, 2010, 07:05 AM   #15
pck823

+1 on the more birds comment! Well, again, I didn't know if what I have was typical or out of the ordinary. Seems like it's a typical F&F for this price point.

The Stevens was probably more like 600, but I walked out the door 800 light cuz I also bought a case, cleaning accessories, etc...as well.