The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 24, 2009, 01:36 AM   #1
cloud8a

Man shoots own wife and neighbor over barking dog.

http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/1553722.html

In this instance the individual that was shot jumped over the fence into the yard of the dog owner. Dog owner then shoots him and the bullet passes through and strikes the wife of the shooter in the leg. This has stupid written all over it.
Old August 24, 2009, 07:39 AM   #2
curt.45

Police said alcohol may have been a factor.
Old August 24, 2009, 08:51 AM   #3
Mannlicher

gee Curt, do ya think?

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old August 24, 2009, 08:54 AM   #4
pax

That story is very poorly written. It could be a case of justified self-defense, or it could be a case of drunken, hot-headed attempted murder. There's no way to tell from the news account. In fact, from the news account, it is difficult to even follow the thread of events.

Going to close this one, since there is so little information to discuss. If and when there is a more involved news story, someone please PM me and we can re-open this thread to discuss it.

pax
Old September 1, 2009, 02:45 AM   #5
pax

Ahh, more information has come to light. Cloud, go ahead & post the story.

pax
Old September 1, 2009, 03:07 AM   #6
Rich Miranda

I hope the neighbor doesn't have HIV or hepatitis. I'm not sure what the odds are of transmission, but they're better if he doesn't have either disease.

The moral of the story? Don't go outside after midnight to argue with the neighbor, especially if you have been drinking.
Old September 1, 2009, 04:42 AM   #7
Dannyl

please referr to rule No4

without going into the reasons for shooting, state of sobriety and (lack of?) justification, the shot was fired when his wife was acting as backstop...

Even if shooting was the necessary response, Rule 4 is there for a good reason.

It is important to keep that in mind at all times, as it is crucial to apply it when the time comes that you need to use your firearm (for a justified reason off course)
Brgds,

Danny
Old September 1, 2009, 07:35 AM   #8
cloud8a

Here is an update.

http://www.star-telegram.com/northea...y/1556348.html

It becomes increasingly clear that both of these individuals had borderline criminal thinking or zero thinking.

Last edited by cloud8a; September 1, 2009 at 07:39 AM. Reason: URL was bad. Now it is fixed.
Old September 1, 2009, 08:07 AM   #9
MLeake

Stewart is SOL on this one.

You can't challenge somebody to come over and fight, and then claim self-defense.

Well, you can make the claim, but the court won't give it to you.

Maybe alcohol was a major factor in this, but maybe the guy is always a moron. In any case, the attempted murder charge is spot on, if the facts of the article are accurate.
Old September 1, 2009, 09:46 AM   #10
TailGator

Too much alcohol, too much testosterone, too few neurons. Next case, please.
Old September 1, 2009, 02:02 PM   #11
Phoebe

And you all wonder why I want to know who is carrying into my house.
Old September 1, 2009, 03:00 PM   #12
#18indycolts

and this is a topic, why? There isn't any tactics or training invloved when you talk about idiotic behavior.
Old September 1, 2009, 03:17 PM   #13
cloud8a

Well I can think of a couple of tactics. 1. Keep a cool head 2. If you are drinking it might be best to leave your gun in its proper place. 3. Not everyone who challenges you to a fight has fists in mind. 4. You do not have the right to open fire on anyone any your property, even in Texas. 5. Do not ecept invitations to fight over barking dogs.
Old September 1, 2009, 03:54 PM   #14
#18indycolts

sorry cloud but those aren't considered tactics.
1. common sense
2. commonsense
3. commonsense
4. laws
5. commonsense
Old September 1, 2009, 04:00 PM   #15
akr

Just a drunken hothead that needs to take anger control classes.

NRA Lifetime Member
Old September 1, 2009, 08:47 PM   #16
yamaha24

I do not quite understand this guy at all, what I learned from this was when the booze comes out guns get put away PERIOD!! Wait a second already knew that one.. this guy's life has changed forever...
Old September 1, 2009, 10:14 PM   #17
Rich Keagy

Should have invited him to the party.
Old September 1, 2009, 11:59 PM   #18
cloud8a

#18indycolts

I believe common sense and laws are extremely important factors of tactics. Training does not just involve things like how to sweep a room. Training also covers how to respond when your neighbor is screaming at you and challenging you to fight from his yard. Alot of SD situations involve a Bad Guy in the process of committing a crime. But there are many that involve two or more innocent people at the spur of the moment letting tempers and poor judgment turn them into criminals in that moment.

I think one of the most important things here and something I would love to hear people touch on is, What do you do when you find yourself losing your temper and things are beginning to spiral. Most importantly if you are armed or your foe may be armed or both. Are there steps training wise that you could take to reverse a downhill situation? Even if you were the one that helped it get there.
Old September 2, 2009, 03:20 PM   #19
markj

Whos team won? and what the heck is fantasy football anyway? Sounds degenerate.....
Old September 2, 2009, 03:26 PM   #20
CK_32

No bueno
Old September 2, 2009, 03:43 PM   #21
Xanatos

Markj: Fantasy football is what the bullies who used to pick on D'n'D nerds play when they grow up. Almost ironic, but yes it is pretty degenerate unless there's money involved and you win.
Old September 12, 2009, 07:18 PM   #22
dec41971

LAW says, its illegal to drink or use drugs when you have a firearm in your possession, even if you have a CHP. Did this moron ever go to state approved handgun training? Wow, stupid is an understatement. He will be going to the pookie for a good reason too. Exactly type of idiot who should be banned from owning guns.:barf:

Training not required where I am but I went anyway, better informed than sorry. What about plain old commonsense? At 49 this is the way you act? I expect 15y/o to do this stuff not guys 3x that age. Wow!
Old September 12, 2009, 11:54 PM   #23
MLeake

What does a CHP have to do with anything?

The shooter, while a moron and a criminal based on the report, was in his own yard. Last I knew, no license is required to be armed on one's own property in Texas.

Not defending the guy, just saying a CHP would have no bearing on this case.
Old September 13, 2009, 12:25 AM   #24
treefarmernc

Alcohol set aside… This sounds more like a case of barking dog meeting biting dog with barking dog realizing that the other dog is about to tear him another hole . Don’t ask for a fight if you are not willing to take the beating.(fist wise)
Old September 13, 2009, 04:23 AM   #25
Double Naught Spy

What a neat little example of overpenetration. I am curious, however, as to the caliber used and the actual damage to the wife. The wife was struck in the leg, but did the bullet actually go into her or just cut her-producing a minor flesh wound (says she was treated and released).

Quote:
Even if shooting was the necessary response, Rule 4 is there for a good reason.
Too keep drunken brawlers from shooting their own wives? Rule number 4 is interesting, but there are laws in place as well, regardless of rule 4, that apparently would have kept this from happening had it been adhered to also, but it wasn't

Quote:
LAW says, its illegal to drink or use drugs when you have a firearm in your possession, even if you have a CHP.
Sorry, but no such law exists in Texas, certainly not on your own property.

Quote:
Did this moron ever go to state approved handgun training?
What Texas state approved training are you talking about?

Quote:
What about plain old commonsense?
Maybe you haven't been reading here long enough, but common sense isn't common in a lot of people and certainly isn't in those who drink and/or who are angry.

Quote:
At 49 this is the way you act? I expect 15y/o to do this stuff not guys 3x that age. Wow!
You must not read the papers much, especially the blotters. Age does not seem to be relevant when it comes to issues involving anger, stupidity, or maturity.

Quote:
Whos team won? and what the heck is fantasy football anyway? Sounds degenerate.....
Where have you been, too? People play it locally. People play it online. There are guys in the Sandbox with teams who compete against folks here.

It has been around for nearly a half century but has exploded with the application of the internet...
http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/Fall...y/history.html

And there are some serious sources for team information...
http://www.nfl.com/fantasy/free?camp...Football_Exact
http://games.espn.go.com/frontpage/football