The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 12, 2010, 06:37 PM   #26
gunpro55

Sportsman Steel Safes

Three of my friends have Sportsman Steel Safes and we love them! They have really heavy doors like old bank vaults with step-like seals. Way better and heavier than gun safes I saw at gun shows. Go take a look. They're really good. www.sportsmansteelsafes.com
Old July 12, 2010, 09:30 PM   #27
a1abdj

Quote:
They have really heavy doors like old bank vaults with step-like seals.
If they had doors like old bank vaults, they would be a lot heavier than they are. Just because something looks like something else, doesn't mean it's anything like it.
Old July 13, 2010, 02:17 PM   #28
JonnyP

Don't forget Sturdy Safes

I have a Sturdy Safe (just google them). Couldn't be happier. It's commercial grade and big enough to hold all the guns I reasonably want or would ever inherit. It has fire lining, 7 gauge steel all over, and a reinforced plate around the lock mechanism. I have it bolted to the floor in my garage. They don't advertise, but their website convinced me they were the best for the money. And their customer service is the absolute best.

Good luck in your serach.
Old July 13, 2010, 08:03 PM   #29
Willie-Boy

a1abdj,

Obviously you are very well versed in this subject since it appears you're associated with Zykan Safes. Can I ask about a brand that has not been mentioned. Please let me know your thoughts and opinion.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Mesa Constitution Safe
Model: MBF6032E-P

Standard Electronic lock, A Fully upholstered gray interior and Massive 1 1/2" Diameter LIVE locking bolts make this safe a must have. Standard textured black finish, Decorative brass five spoke handle

Mesa's Constitution safe is designed to protect your valuables against fire, theft, and accidents. Safes use live locking bolt technology and pry resistant metal to ensure the most secure protection of its contents. The security safe accomplishes a peace of mind that you and your family are safe from the unthinkable. "Better Mesa Safe Than Sorry"

Specifications

1 HOUR FIRE RATING-Battry Operated ELECTRONIC LOCK protected by a hardened DRILL RESISTANT plate-Interior shelving walls and door FULLY UPHOLSTERED-Massive 1 1/2" diameter LIVE LOCKING BOLTS- FOUR ANCHOR HOLES- STEEL DOOR with an overall thickness of 3 3/4" enclosing fire resistant material-All Shelf Model-Meets or exceeds CA dept of Justice Firearm storage device requirements 14.4 Interior Cubic Feet

59" x 32" x 22"

Assembled in China
Old July 13, 2010, 09:41 PM   #30
a1abdj

Mesa offers a variety of imported safes, and this gun safe appears to be a typical imported unit. I don't see anything special about it, especially considering the price. They give a lot of vague information, such as "overall thickness", when neglecting to give you specifics about its construction. This type of stuff sets off warning bells with me.

We just started selling a private labeled safe that will compete with the AMSEC BF series (that we also sell). It is a B rate commercial safe (1/4" body, 1/2" door) that is built out as a gun safe. It doesn't appear to cost much more than the Mesa you mentioned.
Old July 15, 2010, 11:46 PM   #31
Btn

Can you tell us more about this B rated safe? It's certainly a great price for a B rating but how well made is it? And how does it compare to the Amsecs you sell?
Old July 16, 2010, 10:52 AM   #32
a1abdj

Quote:
Can you tell us more about this B rated safe? It's certainly a great price for a B rating but how well made is it? And how does it compare to the Amsecs you sell?
If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Essentially, we were looking for a safe that could sell at a price point beneath the AMSEC, as we have other similar safes that sell for more than the AMSEC.

Both the AMSEC and our new safe are built heavier than most all other safes in their price range. They both have a 90 minute fire rating achieved by using a "cement" fill that also ads to their strength.

The AMSEC has the edge when it comes to the door. The AMSEC uses a solid 1/2" plate, where our new safe uses multiple plates for a cumulative thickness. The AMSEC also has a nicer fit and finish, and a really nice interior.

The new safe has the edge when it comes to the body. The AMSEC uses an 11 gauge outer wall with thinner inner wall. This new safe uses dual 10 gauge plates for the outer and inner walls for a total of 1/4" worth of steel in the body.

Both safes use UL rated locks. The AMSEC uses a mechanical relock system and locks on three sides. The new safe uses a mechanical relock system in addition to a glass plate relock (found on higher end commercial safes), and locks on all four sides. The new safe also uses some longer bolts that are reinforced on the door better, which would give better pry resistance.

The easiest way to make a less expensive safe is to get rid of the expenses that have nothing to do with the security of the safe itself (paint, interior, etc.). That's what we have done here. The safe itself is a good safe, but it's bare bones. Utilitarian, but nothing fancy.
Old July 16, 2010, 02:24 PM   #33
sserdlihc

I made the mistake of not buying a safe big enough for the future.
Old July 16, 2010, 08:44 PM   #34
ttheel

Quote:
I made the mistake of not buying a safe big enough for the future.
My brother purchased a Browning Medallion gun safe several years ago. He started to buy the standard width but at the last minute decided to go with the wide body. He told me the other day that it was one of the most wise decisions he ever made as it has filled up quicker than he thought it would but it still has some room left. Of all opinion's on gun safes this is the most mentioned topic I have researched..."buy a bigger safe than you think you need."
Old July 16, 2010, 09:07 PM   #35
a1abdj

Quote:
Of all opinion's on gun safes this is the most mentioned topic I have researched..."buy a bigger safe than you think you need."
Whether or not this is good advice depends ultimately on the value of the total contents. Keep in mind that a larger gun safe is just as easy to break into as the smaller model.

Sometimes multiple smaller safes are better than a single larger safe. This is also true in situations where you need to spread out the weight, or are dealing with concealment issues.
Old July 17, 2010, 08:18 AM   #36
Rifleman1776

Simple, like anything else, get the best you can afford.
Some of us cannot afford top of the line.
Mine is a Grizzly ten gun. I am confident it is secure. Downside is that it does not have insulation for fire protection.
Old July 17, 2010, 03:20 PM   #37
ttheel

Quote:
Whether or not this is good advice depends ultimately on the value of the total contents. Keep in mind that a larger gun safe is just as easy to break into as the smaller model.

Sometimes multiple smaller safes are better than a single larger safe. This is also true in situations where you need to spread out the weight, or are dealing with concealment issues.
I have never heard a single person say that they regreted buying a Large safe but I have heard many folks say they regreted buying a smaller size safe than they could have.
Old July 17, 2010, 03:29 PM   #38
a1abdj

Quote:
I have never heard a single person say that they regreted buying a Large safe but I have heard many folks say they regreted buying a smaller size safe than they could have.
That's only because they are looking at it from a space standpoint.

The first people who regret stuffing everything into a single large gun safe are those that have their safes in a fire. When they should have purchased a second safe with a real fire rating, they figured the manufacturer was correct that they could use the safe for all of their valuable paperwork, photographs, etc. These things are usually destroyed in gun safes that have been in a fire.

Although there are similar reasons that can be applied for residential security, look at the commercial stuff next time your out. For the most part, everybody uses multiple safes or single safes with multiple compartments to spread the risk.
Old July 17, 2010, 06:21 PM   #39
Btn

I currently have a safe that is almost full and I am going to purchase another one. My primary reason is to upgrade my protection since my collection is now worth more then I originaly anticipated.

My new safe will go in the corner of my basement and the old one will be bolted down right next to it. That will limited access on 3 sides. And although this safe will have fire protection, any important documents will go inside a smaller Sentry type fire safe, that will reside in the larger safe, for extra protection.
Old July 17, 2010, 09:30 PM   #40
ttheel

Quote:
And although this safe will have fire protection, any important documents will go inside a smaller Sentry type fire safe, that will reside in the larger safe, for extra protection.
This is what I have always thought to be a good idea. Double protection for important papers or valuable jewelry.
Old July 19, 2010, 11:19 AM   #41
Willie-Boy

Quote:
That's only because they are looking at it from a space standpoint.

The first people who regret stuffing everything into a single large gun safe are those that have their safes in a fire. When they should have purchased a second safe with a real fire rating, they figured the manufacturer was correct that they could use the safe for all of their valuable paperwork, photographs, etc. These things are usually destroyed in gun safes that have been in a fire.

Although there are similar reasons that can be applied for residential security, look at the commercial stuff next time your out. For the most part, everybody uses multiple safes or single safes with multiple compartments to spread the risk.

What about the Theftgard 12/24 Gun Safe? Is it adequate for bot theft and fire, etc.?

Here is what I was sent:

Theftgard Features
12-gauge steel body
1in. steel bolts
3/16in. steel plate door
Group II lock with five-year limited warranty
UL tool attack listed
Straight brushed chrome handle
Scroll graphic on door
Duo Interior with gray carpet
Rugged textured finish
Elevated floor to facilitate removal of guns

1200 degrees/30 min. Standard Fire Protection
1200 degrees F/30 min. fire protection

One layer of 1/2in. fire-resistant material in the body
Two layers of 1/2in. fire-resistant material in the door

SPECIFICATIONS:
Dimensions: 60" X 30" X 22"
Cubic Feet: 23
Weight: 510 lbs.
Gun Capacity/Configuration: 12/24 Duo
Fire Protection: 1200° F/30 min. fire protection

Thanks Bill
Old July 19, 2010, 02:23 PM   #42
Btn

Don't make the same mistake I did and get a 12 gauge safe. I feel like I could probably punch through it, even with the fire lining.
Old July 20, 2010, 04:32 AM   #43
BODAME

Gun Safes

I have 2 Liberty - Lincoln Models
My next one will be the same.
Old July 20, 2010, 06:03 PM   #44
Adirondack

Quote:
Jimmy P wrote "I have a Sturdy Safe (just google them). Couldn't be happier. It's commercial grade and big enough to hold all the guns I reasonably want or would ever inherit. It has fire lining, 7 gauge steel all over, and a reinforced plate around the lock mechanism. I have it bolted to the floor in my garage. They don't advertise, but their website convinced me they were the best for the money. And their customer service is the absolute best."
+1 on Sturdy. The more I learn about the industry and the false claims of a lot of these manufacturers, the more I respect the honest no nonsense approach of Sturdy Safe.
Old July 22, 2010, 09:52 AM   #45
housedad

I went Fort Knox for 2 of my safes. I have a large collection. But even they were not enough room. I picked up a safe at Sams club. Couldn't be happier with it.

Check out the cannon safes. Here is the link. Some are made in the USA

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/search/...CategoryId=all

http://www.cannonsafe.com/about-cannon/
Old July 22, 2010, 01:57 PM   #46
Btn

What gauge steel are the Cannons?
Old July 22, 2010, 03:18 PM   #47
housedad

Most are 12 gauge bodies, The safari line has 10 gauge
Old July 22, 2010, 06:40 PM   #48
handlebar

I have the Cannon Oxbow series (comparable to the Patriot) that I bought from Buds gun shop. Cost was 699 delivered. I have it bolted to my garage wall and my garage floor. I never open it when the garage door is open. I built a plywood cabinet around it and mounted old license plates on the door-which has 3 padlocks on it. I have had it about 2 years and open it often (it has a dial lock which I prefer). The tumbler is also key locked and can't be opened if it is locked. It serves my purpose.
Old July 22, 2010, 10:16 PM   #49
rtpzwms

Cannon Traditional Series:

HIGH SECURITY DOOR:
Massive 2-1/4" double-steel composite door
1.5" Active-locking bolts - top, side and bottom
High-security commercial grade Type 1 electronic lock
Surefire multiple re-lockers
3 layers extra-hard, 60+ RC steel hard-plate protects the lock
Double-steel reinforced door frame
Deluxe 5-spoke handle
BODY:
Unibody construction with rounded edge
Multi-step paint process
Deluxe graphics package with hand finished pinstriping*
Pre-drilled bottom for bolting to floor
Heavy 10-gauge
Old July 28, 2010, 01:09 AM   #50
rtpzwms

Does anyone have a website for Canon/Oxbow Safes? All I seem to find on them is that its made for Bud's Gun Shop by Canon. It seems that this is not the same as Cannon Safes. There is no mention of Oxbow series on the Cannon Site.

This is the best I've seen so far:
http://www.securitysafeoutlet.com/catalog/index.php

I would like to see a picture and a data sheet on this.