The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Closed Thread

Old January 29, 2010, 04:21 PM   #1
cottontop

Brass or steel frame?

I have been considering getting started in the C&B addiction. I am curious about the difference in performance and durability of brass compared to steel frames. Do the brass frames not hold up as well? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old January 29, 2010, 07:35 PM   #2
robhof

robhof

This has been covered several times, do a search for more details, but in short, the steel frames are stronger and can take repeated firings of full charges with no damage, the brass with repeated full charges will stretch and work loose as well as deform the blast shield. There are many very old brassers still in use and with light to moderate charges they will last many years.
Old January 29, 2010, 10:29 PM   #3
cottontop

Thanks for the reply. I will do a search for related topics when I get home, it's a little more difficult on my blackberry. Common sense was pointing me in the direction of your answer.
Old January 29, 2010, 11:44 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

Mary Ann

RC Cola

Tastes Great

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old January 30, 2010, 12:15 AM   #5
DrLaw

Also Mary Ann, also Royal Crown, but really, really like Canfield's Swiss Cream and Vernor's.

So in other words, properly taken care of, it is 6 of one and a half dozen of the other as concerns brass and steel frames.

The Doc is out now.
Old January 30, 2010, 04:32 AM   #6
arcticap

View the poll results and comments:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...highlight=poll

Quote:
Colt replicas, brass or steel frame cap and ball revolvers, which do you prefer and i
Old January 30, 2010, 11:32 AM   #7
cottontop

static removed

Last edited by 4V50 Gary; January 30, 2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: noise deleted
Old January 30, 2010, 02:26 PM   #8
mykeal

It's even sadder that some people can't take good natured ribbing with a sense of humor. There were no personal attacks or denigration in anything that was written by anyone, until the OP decided to start name calling.

The issue of brass vs steel framed revolvers gets debated virtually every day on this and several other forums. It's entirely reasonable that it would occasionally be the subject of some joking. It's entirely unreasonable that someone would use that to begin a personal attack on people whose purpose was humor without putting anyone down.
Closed Thread