The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 13, 2012, 04:26 AM   #26
Jeff22

recommended reading

http://gunsite.com/store/page7.html

Buy the Gunsite TACTICAL PISTOL HANDBOOK and also THE MODERN TECHNIQUE OF THE PISTOL by Greg Morrison.

And search on Amazon.com or Alibris for a copy of COOPER ON HANDGUNS (the 1974 edition is longer and better, the 1979 edition is OK)

If you plan to go to Gunsite in the future, that will get you started. Practice the pistol drills in the Tactical Pistol Handbook in preparation.
Old April 13, 2012, 09:04 AM   #27
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg23
...Does Gunsite require students to shoot from the Weaver stance ?? ...
A little more on this question.

I noticed that my friend, 9mmepiphany answered the question over on THR. He recently took the 250 class at Gunsite, so his information on that class is more current than mine. On the Weaver, he wrote here:
Quote:
...I really liked that even though they teach shooting from the Weaver (and it isn't like a lot of other places I've seen teach it), they don't insist that you shoot from it...they do ask you to give it a chance. I went there to see how they taught it and to give it an honest try as a defensive technique...it took about 3 days to really get a feel for it....
Anyone interested in Gunsite might want to read his entire post.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old May 2, 2012, 08:45 PM   #28
VERDAD

Be Careful

Many firearms instructors will tell you-beware of those that travel, grab a brief case, go a couple hours from home and you are suddenly and "Expert"

I am in no way directing this statement at any of the names previously mentioned, but there are some traveling shows with zero street cred, zero real skill, collecting cash because they are a "new name" in town.

Multiple instructors, multiple options for technique, different ideas, we all continue to learn from one another. Whatever you choose, training and trigger time shouldn't hurt! Enjoy
Old May 4, 2012, 12:44 AM   #29
Jeff22

selecting training classes

I've been going to firearms training classes since 1980.

Most years I've gone to one class. Some years I go to two or three, depending upon schedule and geographical location and my cash flow.

One criteria I have always used is, has the instructor published articles in gun magazines, or written a book, and does their point of view make sense?

Not all of the instructors I have trained with were widely published, but it is one thing that I look at.

Another option is to research on the various firearms related forums (The firing line, lightfighter, getoffthex, etc.) and read after action reports from class participants. AARs can alert you to classes you might want to attend and also tell you what to expect, what gear to bring and what skills to practice ahead of time.