The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 9, 2011, 10:57 PM   #1
bassfishindoc

Need a new watch - for hunting

Hey everyone, I am in search of a new, durable, nice looking watch. My old one bit the dust and I need a new one. I know everything here is supposed to be firearm related and this sorta is because you have to be able to keep time while hunting and while at the range . I really liked the LumiNox watches until I went to BPS and tried one on, no way I am going to spend $250 on an all plastic watch that just felt cheap, plus I have read some bad reviews. So what do you guys where, any suggestions are welcome plus links are great! Thanks!
East Tennessee State University Quillen College of Medicine
Old January 10, 2011, 03:34 AM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Invicta. Ebay.
Old January 10, 2011, 08:39 AM   #3
wogpotter

I bought a Casio Pathfinder several years back & it's still working perfectly after several camping/ outdoors trips.
The built in compass altimeter & barometer are kind of handy as well as is the self recharging feature.You do have to calibrate the compass, altimeter & barometer periodically though if you want accurate information from them. Its a simple process (the second time) & even though they say the instruments should not be used for navigation they are a handy quick reference if toy get turned round in the woods or loose track of how far up the mountain the trail is.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old January 10, 2011, 08:40 AM   #4
Doyle

I've worn a Casio G-shock for more than 20 years. I'm on my 2nd one now because I busted up the first one changing the battery (batteries last me about 5 years). I've had it more than 140ft down while diving and shoved into pig/deer guts while hunting. It has never let me down. At a replacement cost of about $60, if it does go bad I'll just buy a new one.
Old January 10, 2011, 10:05 AM   #5
egor20

bassfishindoc

Any Seiko dive rated watch should suit you, I've been wearing one version or another for 25 years, ever since I was a little E-2. .

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old January 10, 2011, 10:19 AM   #6
Yankee Bill

I've been using the el cheapo Timex Ironman series for 20 yrs. or so. For the way I hunt, about all I require that a watch has is a Indiglo feature so I can tell time when it's dark, and a calander. I do have a hunting buddy that has one of those dedicated hunting watches though, with the moon phases and all on it and it is pretty slick.

YB
Old January 10, 2011, 07:35 PM   #7
ozarkrecluse

I've also wore a Seiko for years (almost 40 years - where has the time gone..). It's one I'd definitely recommend.
Old January 11, 2011, 02:20 AM   #8
bamaranger

don't laugh

I recieved an LL Bean field watch, about 20 years ago as a gift. Its been back to Bean 2-3 times due to rough use or my own stupidity, but has otherwise been a reliable and durable time piece.

Don't even know if they still make/sell the unit, Bean holds little attraction now as it sells mostly clothing to yuppies and preps these days.

But 20 yrs ago they sold a good watch and still fix'm as needed.
Old January 11, 2011, 08:18 AM   #9
twhidd

I'm rather partial to my Seiko 5. It's an automatic self-winding design. They come in several styles and can be had for around $100. It's not a Rolex, but there's just something about the mechanical watches that fascinate me.
Old January 11, 2011, 01:21 PM   #10
Norrick

Something solar powered with a seconds hand. Illumination would be important if you are doing very early/late work. I would go leather, fabric, or some sort of synthetic straps.
Old January 11, 2011, 03:16 PM   #11
rdmallory

Bertucci

Bertucci

Stainless or Titanium
No watch pins to break.

digital or analog Time Date.

Inexpensive

Built like a tank.
Old January 11, 2011, 03:36 PM   #12
Jim Watson

Hmm.
Bertuccis look a lot like my old CWC and Marathon watches lost in the fire.
Old January 18, 2011, 11:04 PM   #13
Walter

Luminox watches

Bassfishindoc, I would urge you to give the Luminox watches another look, unless price is the ultimate issue. The "plastic" case you mentioned is actually a poly-resin that is tough as nails, and lightweight, to boot. Much like a polymer-framed handgun.

I've been wearing a Luminox 3901 SEAL model for 5 years, and I have never
worn a better, more dependable watch. It keeps perfect time, is waterproof down to 200 meters, and you can see it in the dark. REALLY see it in the dark, since the tritium glows 24/7 for about 20 years.

I have NO affiliation with Luminox, other than I own one. But I learned a long
time ago, as a combat rifle Marine in Vietnam, that knowing what time it is can sometimes be a matter of life or death, literally. And I have found the Luminox to be a watch I can trust. And did I mention it glows in the dark?

That's actually the reason I bought mine. When I wake up at two or three in the morning I want to know what time it is. A glance at my wrist is all it takes.

Walter