The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Closed Thread

Old February 4, 2009, 02:26 PM   #26
Recon7

troll, troll you're a troll IBTL IBTL IBTL IBTL
we could do without some of this too.
Old February 4, 2009, 04:22 PM   #27
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Recon stop being a troll and uze proper capitole-I-zashun pleez

Brent
Old February 4, 2009, 05:34 PM   #28
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Yep, and what is the benefit of hurting their feelings? None. The grammar should be corrected and they should be banned if they refuse to comply. Public humiliation benefits neither them nor us.
If merely telling the violator that I don't understand their statement and ask to provide clearer context in the future is going to hurt his/her feelings, then there's serious underlying problems. Mutual respect for your fellow gunowner is one thing. But the need to walk on eggshells here is another. We're all adults here. If one is so offended by a simple statement then the problem isn't TFL's philosophy on the growth of their board, it's the person that's offended.

So, yes, I do think there's benefits to "hurting" feelings. It either teaches the person that they need to quit being lazy while posting here or they go somewhere else that allows it. You can't make everyone happy. I've surfed around different forums and I keep coming back here. One of the reasons is the atmosphere here drives me to better myself in the firearms community. I don't see this in very many other forums. How you present yourself matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloy
...but what happened to paragraphs and indenting the first word of each one? Now its all about typing a line per thought and then skipping a line. Maybe the bullet list is becoming the acceptable post format. Quotation marks around a word are used to show it means something "other" than what it means, when it really "means" the exact same thing?
Heeyyyy....you just described me! I'm shocked and appauled! Why don't you just call me out so I can blame you for my actions?

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 5, 2009, 05:35 PM   #29
tyme
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate45
"Bud spelers of the word unight, and remumber: cabron is most abundent elemant in hte youknwverse"
Is that a joke, because it's hydrogen not carbon...
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old February 5, 2009, 06:25 PM   #30
Wildalaska

Ah but isnt the universe made up primarily of dark matter?

WildcallmehawkingAlaska ™
Old February 5, 2009, 07:34 PM   #31
Mal H
Staff

No, dark energy, but that isn't important 'cause dark matter isn't an element as we know them.
Old February 5, 2009, 07:49 PM   #32
kayakersteve

Yeah

I agree - Just be nice about it because some people don't spell well and don't need to be intimidated anymore than they likely have been for their entire lives!!
Old February 5, 2009, 08:00 PM   #33
nate45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyme
Is that a joke, because it's hydrogen not carbon...
Very astute of you tyme, yes it was a joke, or an attempt at one anyway, not only are the majority of words in that sentence misspelled, it is also mispunctuated and the information contained within it is incorrect.
Old February 6, 2009, 03:40 PM   #34
grymster2007

Quote:
Ah but isnt the universe made up primarily of dark matter?
Lot's of scientists now believe there are infinite universes, accounting for every possibility. If this is true, there is a universe where you'd be right. It's just that it's not this universe, but rather one that runs parallel.... or maybe even perpendicular in your case
Old February 6, 2009, 07:29 PM   #35
TheNatureBoy

Reference post #28. I take issue with anyone who thinks "theres benefits to hurting feelings". The question I always ask myself is 'would I say this if I were face to face with the person'? With that being the case I post accordingly. If you are the type of person who sees a need to respond to people in a rude way it speaks volumes about the kind of person you are, your level of intelligence, and not that of the other person.

I'm all for proper grammar and punctuation. At the same time I acknowledge my shortcomings in this area. I do however believe that my posts, and most others are easy to read and comprehend. I don't need you (generally speaking) to be a english major. Don't remember it being a requirement for joining this site either. I do expect you to represent yourself as best that you can given your level of intelligence and education. I would be terribly disappointed and would end my association with this site if a persons best was not accepted and were asked to "go somewhere else that allows it". How can anyone hold others to a standard that they obviously don't meet?
Old February 6, 2009, 08:44 PM   #36
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Reference post #28. I take issue with anyone who thinks "theres benefits to hurting feelings". The question I always ask myself is 'would I say this if I were face to face with the person'? With that being the case I post accordingly. If you are the type of person who sees a need to respond to people in a rude way it speaks volumes about the kind of person you are, your level of intelligence, and not that of the other person.
That would be me, so here's my response:

1. I'm not talking about calling out for a correction for the occasional wrongly spelled word, punctuation error, etc. I think if you read the link provided by Antipitas regarding what the owner's (Rich Lucibella) philosophy is, you'll find that this isn't what the problem is.

2. Ever gone through 2nd grade? Ever disrupted the class? Ever have that teacher that smacks the back of your hands with a ruler right in front of the class? Hurt, didn't it? I bet you were a little embarrassed having that happen in front of your friends and Jennifer. You know, Jennifer. That girl you had a crush on. I'm willing to bet that you didn't disrupt the class like that again, did you? I don't think the teacher would have gotten as effective results by taking you out of the class room and gently chided you in private....

3. I never said anything about responding in a rude way, just up front.

4. Read VERY carefully: I will ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS have the guts to speak the same words I post here face to face. I don't hide where I live and I don't hide where I'm currently located. I'm willing to meet anybody within reasonable driving distance from my home at a neutral ground to hear me repeat what I post to their face. This offer will always stand with me on the grounds that it isn't taken that I want a physical confrontation. I will meet face to face to stand by and prove my word and to further the discussion in an adult manner. I'm currently in West Palm Beach for training until Feb 13th. So if anybody wants to take up my offer, by all means PM me.

Example #1: i cant beleve this is goin on and on and on what ruup2? whats the best gun ever you owned savage mossberg remington colt45 or what

Example#2: I can't believe this situation is ongoing. What is the problem? What's the best gun that youve ever own? Savage? mossber? Remington?

There's a distinct difference between these two examples. One I believe there's honest grammatical errors. The other I believe is just pathetic.

Quote:
I do however believe that my posts, and most others are easy to read and comprehend. I don't need you (generally speaking) to be a english major. Don't remember it being a requirement for joining this site either.
Most? Yes. But my first example is by no means an exaggeration of what has been posted here.

Quote:
I do expect you to represent yourself as best that you can given your level of intelligence and education. I would be terribly disappointed and would end my association with this site if a persons best was not accepted and were asked to "go somewhere else that allows it". How can anyone hold others to a standard that they obviously don't meet?
This the whole point. It isn't about a person's intelligence level or education. There's some members here that are up front about their English skills aren't exactly going to win them a scholarship to Oxford. However, it's obvious in their effort to communicate the best they can. And that's fine and dandy.

In a grey area, it isn't required for you to have an English major. However, it IS required that each and every member including staff to be held to a higher standard than some other gun sites.

Old February 6, 2009, 08:47 PM   #37
Wildalaska

Tutt speaketh wisdom, harken ye to his words

WildimsobiblicalAlaska ™
Old February 6, 2009, 09:03 PM   #38
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Tuttledontmakemeblushwild8

Old February 7, 2009, 07:07 AM   #39
TheNatureBoy

Tuttle8, there is no place for rudeness period!
Old February 7, 2009, 07:08 AM   #40
TheNatureBoy

I don't want this to turn into a back and forth kinda thing. Lets just agree to disagree and move on.
Old February 7, 2009, 07:25 AM   #41
P97

An excellent example of what happens to a Board when the Members moderate it, instead of the Moderators, is this thread.
Old February 7, 2009, 08:06 AM   #42
Sarge

Time permitting, I like to stop in here and read threads which interest me.

Rarely (thank goodness) do I find one or two posts therein which are all but decipherable.

If I'm really interested in that topic, I'll read on for a few posts in search of clarity.

What I do not want to find are folks with hall monitor complexes, further muddying the waters with their Cartman-esque tirades.

I seem to recall something about "More signal, less noise."

I am 100% in Peetzakiller's camp on this.

Use the 'report' button for posts which offend your grammar sensibilities- and spare the rest of us from having to read through material which adds nothing to the topic at hand.
Old February 7, 2009, 01:26 PM   #43
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Tuttle8, there is no place for rudeness period! I don't want this to turn into a back and forth kinda thing. Lets just agree to disagree and move on.
Ummm....OK. But it would sure be nice to know what the hell you mean by being rude. I already gave a very detailed response to explain my point. All you stated, with an exclamation point that references yelling, is no place for rudeness even after my response.

The context of your very own post seems to negate your point. Not that I care, but don't you think yelling at a fellow member correcting him is rude in itself?

If you don't care to respond that's fine by me. I'm willing to continue discussion in order to achieve better understanding.

Old February 7, 2009, 05:28 PM   #44
shortwave

IMO,Peetzakilla has the absolute right line of thought. A few of the members here seem to have a problem with the "how-to`s" of self-policeing and are downright rude. If we really want to self- police this forum how bout pm`ing someone when they make a mistake or don`t spell something correct. Rather it seems as though a few get their jollies trying to make someone look bad for everyone else to read:barf:. Thats not self-policeing. Just because some aren`t as intelligent or computor savy as other`s doesn`t give anyone the right to be rude. No, there isn`t a benefit in hurting feeling`s. There is a benefit in correcting someone without being rude. I for one hope the mods. start coming down hard on those(that can spell and are computor savy) who are not intelligent enough to understand that there are less fortunate people in the world. Thanks Peetza for this thread!
Old February 7, 2009, 06:41 PM   #45
grymster2007

Quote:
A few of the members here seem to have a problem with the "how-to`s" of self-policeing and are downright rude.
Dude; you're using the grave accent key where an apostrophe would be appropriate.
Old February 7, 2009, 06:50 PM   #46
EricReynolds

I agree with Peetzakilla completely. I don't have a real problem myself as I'd like to think I have good grammar. This is however, something I see pretty regularly on the forums. I agree that members should have enough respect not to over abbreviate or use a lot internet jargon. Proper punctuations is also importatnt. A mispalced comma can completely change the context of what is being said. When I see people unable to write like they've taken English in high school, it does irk me. I think it shows a lack of education, but I don't feel compelled to straighten anyone out. Often people are less than cordial when do. Sometimes just plain rude. Tuttle8 feels it to be his pace to correct people in public. That's fine, but we don't have to be mean about it. I have read posts from members that were clearly meant to humiliate. That's not right. We ought to remeber that we're adults here. Citing the lesser points of others can sometimes tend to do the same for oneself. Like the absence of maturity.
Old February 7, 2009, 07:05 PM   #47
shortwave

grymster, Thanks 'Dude'. See how polite and easy that was.
Old February 7, 2009, 07:10 PM   #48
EricReynolds

Shortwave, you need to start out your sentence with a capital letter. The words thank and dude should not have been capitalized. What's wrong with you? Are you a stupid idiot?! This is The Firing Line, we don't tolerate that sort of thing around here. Get it straight or don't bother! Just kidding folks, a sarcastic demonstration on what not to do.
Old February 7, 2009, 08:18 PM   #49
Creature

Quote:
Tuttle8, there is no place for rudeness period!
I consider it the height of rudeness to not use proper grammar and punctuation when posting. What then?
Old February 7, 2009, 08:45 PM   #50
grymster2007

Quote:
grymster, Thanks 'Dude'. See how polite and easy that was.
Just correcting poor grammar in my usual polite and professional manner!

That was easy!

Last edited by grymster2007; February 7, 2009 at 08:46 PM. Reason: correct my grammar
Closed Thread