The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 19, 2017, 10:01 AM   #26
pete2

If I ever buy another it'll be a light weight M 2 style, prolly a 500.00 DPMS or Bushmaster.
Old June 22, 2017, 04:08 PM   #27
hdwhit

I bought two S&W M&P-15 Sport IIs in 2016. They will go to my sons when they are each in a position to be able to securely take custody of it. So, what I looked for was a second AR that was identical to the first. And if I went back to buy another AR (for myself), I would probably buy another Sport II because of how pleased I have been with the first two.
Old June 22, 2017, 05:56 PM   #28
sevt_chevelle

Right now I have 3 working ARs. My first one was a Colt 6920, Ive swapped out the furniture installed a better trigger and for optics I run a Aimpoint PRO. My second AR I built, it's a SPRish build with a 18in stainless barrell Giessle trigger and a 6-24 optic. My third AR is a light weight build with a 16in middy pencil barrel and irons.

Currently in my state, deer hunting is shotgun or muzzle loader only, but they are looking to pass a bill that would allow you to use straight walled cartridges. If that passes I'll build a 450 bushmaster AR.

I also have 4-6 lowers laying about and 3-4 BCGs.
Old June 22, 2017, 07:19 PM   #29
JoeSixpack

Well Im still working on my 1st, 2nd, and now 3rd build all at the same time.

It started off with 2 builds.. 1 rifle, 1 pistol.
But the prices are so good right now I somehow talked my self into a 3rd build.. a 2nd rifle.

the 2nd rifle will be a "beater" gun, cheaper optic (been hearing great things about 20$ field sports), I'll feed it steel cased crap.
The 1st and 2nd will likely just be fed brass as I intend to get into reloading before long.

At first I was gonna try to go with a retro build for the 3rd build but It seems that is somehow going to be more expensive.. then the usual flat top, carbine butt stock setup most peopel want.. I guess it must boil down to economics of scale.

all 3 builds will be flat tops with some sort of quad rail.. the 2 rifles will be keymod handguards, not sure about the pistol yet.

all 3 builds will initially be pistol so I can legally convert between pistol/rifle.
all 3 builds will have red dots, the ranges I goto usually max out at 1-200 yards, 300 at the most.
Old June 23, 2017, 11:52 AM   #30
COSteve

My 1st AR (after the one I had in the Army in 1969) was an RRA mid-length gas carbine which I modified to a light weight barrel profile and shortened it to 14.7" w/pinned FH to use it as a lightweight irons shooter (5lbs, 15oz as below w/o mag). So much for my 1st AR.

Later, I decided I wanted a second AR to shoot longer range than practical with irons so I got myself an RRA A4, scoped it and added walnut furniture and a hand made walnut pistol grip to use it for 400+yd apple shooting (the walnut is a more unique way to add a bit of weight to make it more steady). BTW, a bag of medium apples is cheap and make great reactive targets that you don't have to police up at the end of the shoot.

The moral is that it makes sense to define a purpose for your AR and set it up to be optimal for that purpose rather than having a 'jack of all trades, master of none' AR that doesn't do anything well. Then, for a second, or third AR, pick a different purpose and set it up to be optimal for that purpose. That way you'll be more happy with your results.

Two different ARs, two different purposes. Both do what they were designed to do very well:

Old June 29, 2017, 09:11 AM   #31
TrueBlue711

My first AR was a lightweight 5.56 carbine build w/ a 1-4x scope. Pretty common build, good entry AR. I use it for close to medium range hunting in the desert for coyotes. My second build was an AR pistol in 300 AAC Blackout w/ a red dot. Great truck and/or bedside gun that I plan on suppressing too. I plan on making my third build a heavier 5.56 or 6.5 Grendel with longer barrel, heavier stock and more powerful scope for the purpose of shooting longer distances.
As long as each of my guns are different, I'm happy. I'm not one to have 2 guns that are almost exactly the same. But as I always say, to each their own!
Old June 29, 2017, 02:56 PM   #32
rpseraph

I have built both of my ARs.

The first is an 18" SPR build that has a scope and is set up for hunting Coyote (200-400 yds). RRA 2-stage trigger. Love it! Mix/match FDE coloring.

The second is a 16", red dot build. Tons of fun, set up for home defense and whatever else

LOVE putting them together
Old June 29, 2017, 04:12 PM   #33
g.willikers

If I had four ARs, I'd want to find a buyer with a friend.
Old June 29, 2017, 04:15 PM   #34
Skadoosh

I learned a long time ago...lightweight 16" builds from now on.
Old June 29, 2017, 09:37 PM   #35
jonnyc

My first was a crappy M16A1 back in the 1980s. I got it free and fortunately the govt. took it back when I was done with it. Spent most of my time in really sandy places and I hated the oft-jamming thing.
Now 30 years later and I'm working part-time in a gun shop. I get a great deal on bits so I decided to give the platform another try. I just built my second; a 16" mid-length in 5.56, with Magpul furniture and an MBUS rear sight.
For #3, I'm thinking I would like to go with an 18" 6.5 Grendel upper, or a complete 6.5 Gr. with an A2 stock.
Old June 30, 2017, 09:36 AM   #36
the possum

I'm not really an AR guy. I picked up a Windham Weaponry flattop carbine in between panics because the prices had come back down (paid $535 then), and intended to put it back just in case my daughter ever wanted one some day.

Then last fall when everyone was sure Hillary would win, I decided to buy another gun just to piss off the liberals. I wanted something with more power and capability than .223, but have no desire to limit myself to rounds that cost a buck a shot. So I got a S&W M&P-10 in .308. I settled on that one because it only weighs a pound more than a basic AR-15, and the pencil barrel (beyond the gas block) makes it seem even lighter and better handling for what it is.

But I still haven't shot either of them very much. It has never made sense to me to have three separate controls to do the same job as the simple charging handle on the hunting guns I grew up with. So my FNAR gets more attention these days. If I wanna do a bunch of blasting for cheap, my SKS and Mosin get the nod.
Old July 1, 2017, 04:58 PM   #37
turtlehead

edit
Old July 2, 2017, 07:23 PM   #38
FloridaGuy

My first AR was purchased back in 20?? when all the crap was going down about banning them. It is just the run of the mill AR. I have swapped out most of the original furniture so now it is a grey and black rifle.

My second AR was my first build. It is a SBR chambered in .300 blackout. It now is sporting a Vortex spitfire 1x scope.

My third AR was also a custom build with a 16" barrel and a Binary Trigger chambered in .300 blackout. It has a Vortex Strike Eagle scope mounted on her right now. This build was done in red anodized aluminum furniture with a black barrel and lower and upper.

My fourth build is going to be chambered in 5.56. It is going to have a 16" stainless steel fluted twisted barrel. All the furniture is going to be blue anodized aluminum.

Also planning a build either in .458 Socom or .50 Boewulf.

Authorized Blackhound Optics Dealer www.blackhoundoptics.com/CWFT
Old July 2, 2017, 07:28 PM   #39
stagpanther

Quote:
Also planning a build either in .458 Socom or .50 Boewulf.
Get strong parts--they are real pounders.
Old July 3, 2017, 07:14 AM   #40
dean1818

Having a second AR15 that shoots the 223, seems boring. (Thats just me)

I have a 223 and a 6.8

I have an upper that needs built..... thinking 358 Yeti

I am waiting to see how the load development goes....... (On the side of the pool, wanting to make sure the water.... is JUST right.... )

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old July 4, 2017, 09:06 AM   #41
Reloadron

What do you look for in your second AR-15? Or third or fourth?

For the most part all of my AR guns are about as Plain Jane as can be.

Left to right are a pair of Colt SP1 1970s rifles being my nostalgia blood, followed by a Colt Target Sporter and the only AR I own with a scope being a Double Star lower with a Kreiger custom barrel and the last being an Armalite AR10(T) in .308 Winchester set up for match with custom sights. I view the AR much like a truck or motorcycle in thet we tend to make them what we like and what reflects our taste.

While the AR10 has not seen a scope in 20 years I have the scope and original iron sights.

Unless another AR falls into my lap I figure I am done.

Ron
Old July 4, 2017, 11:51 AM   #42
mavracer

My first was a Colt AR15 A2 govt, I changed it to a flattop and installed a heavy barrel (before anyone flames me for jacking up a rare Colt this was 20+ years ago) I later took it back to A2 configuration with a White Oak service match upper and it's still in this configuration.
My second was an Olympic carbine that went thru a few mods.
Then I made the mistake of thinking I needed to build one and caught black rifle disease.
First was a Smith lowered 300 Blackout 16", it has gone thru a few changes and now wears a 14.5" barrel with a permanently attached linear comp/faux can.
Next was a RECCE inspired build around a 16" White Oak barrel again it's gone thru a few changes and currently is a Sota billet lower Stoner billet side charger upper has a Geissele trigger and Leopold 3-9X Mod 1.
Someplace in there I bought a Mini 14 target that's also been modified quite a bit and later sold the Olympic.
Then I decided to replace the Olympic and built another 16" lightweight only to realize again why I sold the dang thing in the first place, my RECCE would do everything better and only weighed a smidge more. So it was sold luckily in the 2008 banic.
Then I built a DPMS SASS inspired 308 on a Aero Precision upper/lower combo
Then a M4gery only to finely realize I didn't need this configuration and nearly immediately sold it to finance doing a retro A1 on my Colt lower and use a new Anderson Molon Labe etched lower for my service match, of course when I actually went to look at my old Colt I realized/remembered it was marked A2 and should stay an A2.
The Molon Labe lower was eventually built into a pistol with a Mk18 inspired upper and at the same time I built a even shorter 300 blackout pistol upper, was just going to use both on same lower but of course after they're built might as well toss another lower together for a complete gun.
Then service match rules were changed to allow optics so an A4ish optics ready match rifle was next.
Then while working up loads for the 308 realized I wasn't going to get 1K accurate velocity from the 18.5" SASS barrel and why have a 15# rifle bla bla bla screw excuses I want a 1k capable AR and I have 243 dies and ammo and no 243 since my brother tactfully acquired my old interarms Mk X and besides PSA has a really short 14.7" barrel for $100 shipped.
So the SASS barrel is sold and I now have a amazing CQB 308 AR and a 24" barreled 1-7 5R twist 243 built on a PSA upper/lower combo.
In the midst of financing this project I sold my 5.56 pistol to a buddy, well this buddy bought 3 of the Sota lowers, for payment for me swapping the lowers over on the pistol and his other 2 ARs he lets me have my lower back.
That lower is now a XM177 inspired carbine.
I've also in the process built my dad a ultra light carbine, my BIL a M4gery and my daughter a muddy girl carbine.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old July 4, 2017, 12:44 PM   #43
Kevin Rohrer

My first one was a regular, Colt AR15A1, like what I carried in the Army. My second one was quality built in another caliber: 458 SOCOM, which is my home defense rifle.

Happy 4th of July!

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old July 4, 2017, 01:34 PM   #44
Eazyeach

OP again, well I know I said I didn't like front sight posts on my ARs and I just sold a Colt 6920, but my LGS was selling Colt 6720s for $799. One came home with me. I like it so much better than my old 6920. Handles much better. Now it will be my HD rifle if I can get used to using my eotech with a front sight. And my BCM/S&W will wear a 2-7 leupold as a general use/plinking gun.

I think I've got my collection where I want it. For now.

Hk 416 /22LR pistol
S&W MP15-22
Remington r-15 vtr
BCM/S&W mid length
Colt 6720. Good times

Happy Independence Day!!
Old July 4, 2017, 04:27 PM   #45
DubC-Hicks

Honestly I build so many and end up changing them all later on, that I don't know what I even look for anymore. My first was a bare bones Spikes M4. Then I built a 20" rifle with 3-9x scope for varmint hunting, which I never did. Then sold the Spikes and built a 14.7 middy. Then sold the 20" and built an M16A4 clone. Then turned the M16A4 clone into an M16A2 clone. Then built a lightweight SPR style. And now I'm building a super lightweight 14.5 pinned and welded. All in 5.56 too, since I don't hunt much anymore and I like ammo and magazine commonality.

My next next might be a piston driven 6.5 Grendel, since Wolf is now making cheap plinking ammo.
Old July 5, 2017, 06:50 PM   #46
rpseraph

They are different enough that I could justify making them both
Old July 31, 2017, 08:54 PM   #47
pete2

My first is a Rock River 20" rifle.
Next comes a 16" Rock River upper on a Ruger lower with the Ruger 2 stage trigger. The upper and lower are on order, both on the cheap, upper 325.00 and the lower 228.00. I think an Ultradot Match Dot sight on it tho not decided yet.
Old August 5, 2017, 03:05 PM   #48
ndking1126

Quote:
My first AR was a 5.56 SPR type rifle, but I spent too much effort trying to make it a do it all gun. So, it does nothing great, and is too heavy.
Nathan, great point about wanting one gun to do too much. Looking back, the guns I liked the least were guns I was hoping would do a lot. The guns I like the most are the ones that do one or two things really well.

With that in mind, my first AR was a 16" 300 BLK with 1-4 Vortex Viper PST. Strangely, it seems to defy my first statement because it isn't great at anything but is still so much fun.

My next will likely be something in a heavy barrel for longer range (which is my favorite type of shooting). I have a 26" bolt action in 260 Rem, so it may be geared more to varmint hunting.. we'll see!
Old August 11, 2017, 04:06 AM   #49
Ibmikey

I have 38 AR's, all different and all fun shooters, waiting for my return from a couple months of hog shooting is an Aero special 1776 edition upper and lower that I will build into a light Carbine " truck gun". Most parts will be Aero and Magpul, have not quite decided on the barrel profile but Aero or Ballistic Advantage (owned by Aero) will be my choice. A 13" ALG, BCM or MI super slim rail should handle the heat issues from the barrel ( unless prolonged firing).
I enjoy assembling and shooting my AR's and none are exempt from modification if I find something new or intriguing.
Old August 12, 2017, 05:50 AM   #50
Emerson Biggies

I'd like to own an AR. I remember when you could buy a Colt AR for $208. At the time I figured that was too much for a simple rifle, even if it had a famous name. Then prices skyrocketed to over $1000. Now that the market has subsided I see the Del-Ton AR for $399.00 with free shipping. Can the lowest prices be far off? Should I buy now? Why would I want to build an AR when I can buy the finished product for less money?
Enquiring minds want to know!