The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 1, 2017, 11:43 AM   #26
5whiskey

Quote:
The information must be kept by the retailer for ten years, after that there are no records.
Others have addressed the correction in length of time. I will also say that the records go to an ATF warehouse if the FFL closes or if the FFL purges records older than those required to be kept. The "records" are never allowed to be discarded or destroyed. It's my understanding (from a friend who is ATF) that the warehouse records cannot be digitally cataloged because of the law prohibiting registries, and a record must be searched for by hand. Needless to say, ATF gun traces on such records are quite slow. It may take longer than 6 weeks.
Old May 2, 2017, 04:40 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

I can tell you that NY state never forgets a pistol. I got a NY pistol permit in 75, (at age 18) and it had my Dad's pistols listed on it (for protection of the pistols, as well as my use of them).

I moved out of NY in 79. in 2002, NY sent me a letter, informing me that, since I was no longer a NY resident, my permit was now invalid, and THEY WANTED IT BACK!!! (a wallet sized, NON-Laminated piece of paper issued in 1975, and they wanted it back!!!!)

They also wanted to know where the pistols listed on the permit were....

I was tempted to tell them to go pound sand, but opted for thunderous silence, instead. Never heard another word from them about it...
Old May 3, 2017, 05:28 AM   #28
armoredman

I would have gone with the pound sand, myself. What are they going to do, send Bloomberg and his minions after you?
Old May 3, 2017, 10:25 AM   #29
Shenna9220

So the ATF is sending help to Baltimore to help with their current crime wave. They say they have a Van this is "connected to a national database" that will help solve gun crimes quickly. Just what is this "database"?

https://www.newsmax.com/US/alcohol-t.../01/id/787511/
Old May 3, 2017, 12:15 PM   #30
JWT

Absolutely incredible that NY would want a piece of paper returned after that amount of time, or after any time for that matter. We have entirely too many bureaucrats in government when they sit around and trace paper that ancient.

One wonders if they actually expected a reply.