The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 27, 2017, 07:19 AM   #26
Brit

My Glock 19 with TruGlo fiber Optic sights are good to go at 50 yards. And I always carry one of them. (I have two set up the same)

To guess when you might need a self defense pistol, is kind of impossible?
Seven yards, 70 yards? Who knows. But I know a 5 shot revolver in a pocket is not for me!

Sixteen rounds of superbly accurate 147g Ranger T, is a nice comfortable hip padding! The 17 rounds of NATO 124g Hardball, in a spare magazine. That's nice too.
Same gun, same place, always.
Old January 27, 2017, 07:51 AM   #27
MandolinMan

You might take a look at the Ruger LCRx 3 inch version in 38 special +p. I got one myself on a trade awhile back, and its unbelievably light. With practice, it'll definitely make those 40-60 yard hits.
Old January 27, 2017, 06:03 PM   #28
ShootistPRS

I am comfortable both carrying and using my carry guns and I carry at all times (while I'm awake). If I am going someplace that I think is more likely to increase the risk of attack, I will stay home or find a less risky place or time to go. Having a gun is not a good reason to endanger yourself.
Old January 27, 2017, 10:24 PM   #29
Deaf Smith

Quote:
originally posted by: walks with gun For many years I've carried a four inch sometimes three inch revolver or some form of 1911, but do to health reasons I've been thinking I'm going to maybe go with something much lighter. I wish I could be happy with a little pocket 380 or 38spl but always feel the need for something more accurate and capable of making regular good hits at 40-60 yards if necessary. Rural farm type area, I've had more trouble with feral dogs and critters than anything else but there is still no shortage of meth heads in the area. Anyone one else make their regular carry option on the possibility of the occasional longer shot.
No, use the same gun and then to paraphrase Herger the Joyous and Benjamin Martin: "aim smaller".

Deaf
Old April 16, 2017, 12:02 AM   #30
chaim

I see this thread is a couple months old, so if you are no longer thinking about this, I apologize for the bump, but in case you are still looking...

Quote:
For many years I've carried a four inch sometimes three inch revolver or some form of 1911, but do to health reasons I've been thinking I'm going to maybe go with something much lighter. I wish I could be happy with a little pocket 380 or 38spl but always feel the need for something more accurate and capable of making regular good hits at 40-60 yards if necessary. Rural farm type area, I've had more trouble with feral dogs and critters than anything else but there is still no shortage of meth heads in the area. Anyone one else make their regular carry option on the possibility of the occasional longer shot.
I do not expect to need to take a long distance shot. Ignoring the should you that so many here have commented on, most self defense needs are short distance anyway (sometimes extremely close distance- I'd worry more about how a gun is at contact distance than long distance, part of why I used to carry a snub when in a carry state since it won't go out of battery if I'm so close to my attacker that the gun is pushed up against him). At longer distances, the chances of getting away/hiding behind cover or concealment is better, and I'll do that if I can. Still, with the occasional mass shooting hitting the news, and occasional concerns of a DC sniper like situation, I do see more and more people online considering guns that would make distance shooting more realistic.

All that said, practicing for distance shooting with your self defense gun is probably a good idea. You never know what is coming, and the better prepared you are for anything, the better. Also, if you are proficient with your gun at 50, 75, 100 yards, the more likely you will be accurate at the more likely 1-5 yards of the typical defensive shoot.

So, all that said, considering your problem of wanting a gun you can shoot relatively long ranges, but needing a smaller/lighter gun due to health reasons, here are some suggestions. You don't need a 1911 or a service revolver to hit at 50-100 yards. With enough practice any gun will do. Still, I see from your post you want something easier than a 2" snub or a pocket .380. If you need to cut back for health reasons, I'm assuming weight more than size is the issue. So, why not a polymer 9mm (if recoil is a problem), or if you prefer a larger caliber a polymer .40 or .45? I'm not really a Glock guy (I don't own any) but since they seem to be the standard in polymer, a full size 9mm Glock 17 weighs only 25oz unloaded and even fully loaded with 17 rounds of 9mm it is just over 32oz (still several ounces lighter than your empty K/L frame revolver or steel framed 1911), the smaller G19 is under 24oz unloaded (and around 30oz loaded). The .40S&W versions don't add much to those weights (an ounce or two), and even the .45ACP pistols are pretty reasonable. If you really do want to go small, my SIG P290RS is nearly a pocket gun, yet it doesn't recoil too badly, and it is as accurate as a bigger gun. A more traditional SIG P239 (hammer fired) or Kahr K9/K40 could be a terrific option if you want something small/light but you prefer metal over polymer.
Old April 16, 2017, 01:20 AM   #31
random guy

I think better practical accuracy is an asset at any range. Even at close range, you may not be offered that picture perfect torso shot.

Some guns are easier to shoot well. This is a fact. Those with good mechanical accuracy, good triggers, decent sights and an ergonomic grip will have a very real advantage. This is useful when you don't have time to prone out and take 5 seconds or more to make the shot.

That said, a well made .380 (thinking of a PPK) or .38 snub should be up to the challenge if the shooter is, including familiarity with the exact gun/ammo combo and POI at extended ranges.

Other pocket pistols don't even have proper sights at all or have an atrocious trigger. Seems like quite a hurdle for 50yds or more.
Old April 16, 2017, 10:53 AM   #32
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'm thinking long slide Glock or other polymer framed pistol.
Old April 16, 2017, 06:58 PM   #33
James K
Member In Memoriam

Maybe I am belaboring the obvious, but few people get to choose the range at which a self defense gun might be used, and the one who does is usually the initiator of the action, in this case we assume the "bad guy." The one who is acting in self defense (i.e., the "good guy") may choose not to respond but he/she does not determine the range.

That being said, IMHO, even a small gun, like a favorite of mine, a 3" barrel Chiefs Special, can give good service out to 100 yards or more, but a good deal of holdover is needed to hit at that distance. I think the OP's best choice is not to go with a new gun but to practice at longer ranges with his .38 Special, or better an equivalent size .357, until he has a good chance of hitting an enemy at whatever distance he considers will be the most likely for danger to present itself.

Jim
Old April 17, 2017, 12:42 PM   #34
Cheapshooter

If I am truly in danger of someone attacking me from 40-50, or more yards because of "meath heads" near my farm, I'm packing my AR15. If it's ferrel hogs I am planning to dispose of it would be my L1A1 FAL.
My opinion is that handguns are for "close encounters of the in my face kind".
Fortunatly in my situation I can not think of a need for shooting at anything much farther than 5 or 10 yards maximum in self defense. Any further would be less likely than being struck by lightning on a sunny day, or winning the lottery without buying a ticket.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 17, 2017, 04:16 PM   #35
shafter

Even if the attack occurs at close range, you will still be quicker and more accurate with a larger gun. Especially under stress.
Old April 17, 2017, 07:06 PM   #36
James K
Member In Memoriam

You don't get the option of choosing the range of self defense - and you don't always get to choose the gun YOU have when things go in the tank. On your own property in an isolated area is one thing; but strutting down a city street in full battle gear with an M16 at the ready might result in a few questions.

Jim
Old April 17, 2017, 08:20 PM   #37
lockedcj7

July 29th, 2012 - Vic Stacy was a private citizen, minding his own business. He came to the aid of a 3rd party, using a 6" Colt Python in .357 Mag. to take down a murderer at a distance of 57 yards. He did not have any trouble justifying his actions.

It can, and does, happen.
Old April 17, 2017, 08:37 PM   #38
DT Guy

Seconding what John K said; I have no idea what range my (hopefully never-to-occur) self-defense shooting might occur at; the range will be the choice of my attacker, since I'm not going to go around initiating shoot-out's.

If the attacker has a rifle, I don't expect them to allow me to waddle back home and retrieve a scoped AR. I'm going to have to fight with that I have.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old April 18, 2017, 02:50 PM   #39
Koda94

the real question isnt what range you might defend at but what range you practice at. 50yds isnt unrealistic in todays world of mall shootings.

the OP is asking about lightweight pistols that are decent shots at around 50yds... not unrealistic in most calibers but might be toughto find something thats lightweight compared to a simple traditional self defense pistol, maybe one of the newer single stack glocks?

I would preferrably suggest one of the "officers commander" series 1911 myself, smaller and lighter than a full size 1911

https://www.fusionfirearms.com/pisto...nder-carry-cco

also available in 9mm might be even lighter?

Quote:
but do to health reasons I've been thinking I'm going to maybe go with something much lighter. I wish I could be happy with a little pocket 380 or 38spl but always feel the need for something more accurate and capable of making regular good hits at 40-60 yards if necessary
Old April 18, 2017, 08:35 PM   #40
walks with gun

Well, I might have fallen onto the answer of my question, I bought a pretty nice S&W model 15 from my father so he could help fund another gun purchase. I've had a couple others and a half dozen or so other K frames but always traded them off in pursuit of the perfect pistol. This M15 really shoots, has suitably enough power for most of what I'd likely run into and is about 12 ounces lighter than my Commander. I think with a multi angle pancake holster, it might just be what I'm looking for. Thanks for all the ideas and keep them coming.
Old April 18, 2017, 09:23 PM   #41
Grumpy_Bottom

Any reason a FiveSeveN wouldn't work? It's light, easy to carry, and the 5.7 should carry plenty of energy out to that range by comparison to it's contemporaries, no? Long slide and sight radius as added bonus. Other thought would be a 10mm Glock long slide, though it wouldn't be my personal preference as I just can't get comfortable with the grip angle.
Old April 18, 2017, 09:30 PM   #42
walks with gun

The only things wrong with the Fiveseven FN is it's way out of my price range anymore, the thing is probably terribly loud, my ears ring enough and the gun is so fugly I could;t see myself carrying it but it might be interesting to try.
Old April 18, 2017, 09:40 PM   #43
TXAZ

I see so many issues with trying to make a 40-60 yard shot with a pistol, under stress, with the loss of fine motor control.

If I felt like I needed to actively engage a target at 40 yards or more on a daily basis, I'd carry an AR with a red dot sight.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old April 18, 2017, 10:08 PM   #44
walks with gun

Rifles and carbines are dandy but if you've ever tried to string out barb wire in the woods or use a chainsaw for hours at a time or work with stock, you'd probably leave the long gun behind too.
Old April 19, 2017, 11:37 AM   #45
Tactical Jackalope

OP, I side with you 100% on this matter.

Actually the reason why I carry what I carry.

I go with Trijicon HD XD sights. The front sight post doesn't get covered by the front sight post like the original HD sights or the even worse XS Big Dot sights.

You'll get people saying "Oh but I don't need to be taking shots at distance anyways!"

Well....Why would you assume you won't? You more than likely won't get in a gun fight. Why are you carrying the gun to begin with? That slim chance that it could happen, right?

Same with my method of carry. I don't want to handicap and hinder myself of something that is in fact a possibility.

Your standard grocery store has a 20+ yard isle.

I separate from loved ones at times. Example, when I wait on my balcony for my wife to find parking. At 11 o'clock at night. My area isn't bad but like all areas, isn't crime proof either.

So in the event of a possible long distance shot. I'm capable of taking aim and shooting and have practiced and trained from 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60 yards. Need to punch out farther just to see if I can.

So, yes.

Edit: My Glock 19 has HD XR sights and I'm about to get them on my M11 and P229 as well as every other firearm I have for self defense use.

I've been carrying the M11 religiously. So I have to get to ordering the HD XRs for that ASAP.
Old April 19, 2017, 11:59 AM   #46
walks with gun

Constantine, just out of curiosity, have you ever tried shooting a handgun from a much higher position like your balcony. I'm wondering if a person would have to aim a little (high or low) I can't remember. I guess I should go experiment a little. It kind of ticks me off sometimes when folk get the idea that the ONLY range you can defend yourself is at 7 yards and will only practice at that range, who the heck has a range finder mounted on their pistol. If someone was shooting at them from 8 yards would they stand there and wait for them to step closer.
Old April 19, 2017, 01:05 PM   #47
Tactical Jackalope

Yeah, I understand why you feel that way.

Everyone creates their own self-defense scenario and they stick to it as if its the only scenario that exists or something.

As for shooting from a balcony or something, the aim is the same if there is a stationary target. If they're moving towards you, you aim lower on the threat, moving away from you and up, you aim a little higher on your threat.
Old April 19, 2017, 01:23 PM   #48
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Well....Why would you assume you won't? You more than likely won't get in a gun fight. Why are you carrying the gun to begin with? That slim chance that it could happen, right?
Because as you admit you more than likely won't get in a gun fight, and the likelihood of the distance being farther than a few feet, let alone a few yards is exponential much less.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 19, 2017, 02:39 PM   #49
Koda94

Odds are you wont need to reload either, so why bother worrying and training for that too?

Might as well not even carry a gun...

<sarcasm>

Good on folks that train for more than just 7yds.....
Old April 19, 2017, 02:53 PM   #50
DT Guy

Another reason you practice (well, reason for me to practice) is to know what shots I can and cannot make; you have to push both speed and distance beyond your capabilities, both to improve your skills and to know the shot you CAN'T make.

Think of it this way: you're caught in the 'worst-case-scenario' situation that lots of folks are terrified of, and someone is holding your loved one hostage. They're moving, and the aggressor is only exposing his head above your loved one. Knowing what shots you can make, and what shots you can't, is a product of practice, knowing your abilities and limitations, and then using the tactics needed to stay within them so you can make the shot.

I would always PREFER to have a rifle; even at 10 feet and with one old, crippled attacker, I'd prefer to have a rifle. Rifles > pistols for anything buy carrying. That said, I seldom HAVE a rifle, so I need to know the shots I can make with my carry guns.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos