The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 29, 2012, 10:11 PM   #1
baddarryl

Rem 1100 FTF

My 1110 won't feed the last round of a mag. It ejects fine, but the incoming shell seems to make it about 1/2 in out of the mag and hangs. Jams there due to pressure from the carrier. I did have a Smith solve a trigger issue by putting a carrier in it a while back. Has never worked since. I took it back once, they supposedly fixed and tested it, but still fails to feed that last round. I don't have a lot of confidence in that Smith now.

I took the mag spring out and cleaned everything real well, but it wasn't dirty or gunked. I am thinking the mag spring is worn out? 1979 model I bought used last year. Very clean, but I have no idea how many rounds have been through it. Ideas? Thank you.
Old May 29, 2012, 10:30 PM   #2
Virginian

Ideas? Yes. Your "smith" screwed something up.
Old May 30, 2012, 12:01 AM   #3
zippy13

Quote:
I don't have a lot of confidence in that Smith now.
Who could blame you?
Like chicken soup for the infirm, a new mag spring couldn't hurt.
Old May 30, 2012, 06:08 AM   #4
Virginian

Carrier shouldn't move until after the shell coming out of the magazine trips the carrier latch. Before that it has to be out of the way completely so that shell can exit the magazine. Sounds like maybe you have a too tight fit on something with the carrier, and or a bad or gunked up carrier latch spring.
Old May 30, 2012, 08:06 AM   #5
baddarryl

And the carrier latch is the funky looking piece on top of the carrier looking down on the gun from the top toward the very end of the stock side of the carrier? Correct? The carrier gets out of the way for ejection, but that last shell doesn't make it even close to the latch. Just the same, as I said it is very tightly jammed in there like the carrier is trying to close or is too tight. That still doesn't explain why the first shells work. Under normal circumstances does the shell slide easily back to the latch or is there enough tension on it that a bad mag spring could prevent that from happening?

Not sure about a gunked up anything as this gun is very clean. Is the carrier spring normally clean by a routine break down? If so I cleaned it.

My spring is twisted and funky so I am ordering a new one. Hey, what does the mag follower do? Should I get one too?

Last edited by baddarryl; May 30, 2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old May 30, 2012, 08:16 AM   #6
baddarryl

Quote:
Quote:
I don't have a lot of confidence in that Smith now.
Who could blame you?
Like chicken soup for the infirm, a new mag spring couldn't hurt.
This is not the first time I have been dissatisfied. I had a scope fit for a .270 and when I got it the mounts were loose and too low so the bolt wouldn't travel. I think my 1100 was in there the first time at the same time.
Old May 30, 2012, 01:50 PM   #7
baddarryl

I called them today and described the problem. They said it sound like the carrier needed adjusting and they would do it for free. Here is hoping the 3rd time is a charm!

Last edited by baddarryl; May 30, 2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old May 30, 2012, 05:27 PM   #8
Virginian

One time, shame on him, two times, shame on you, three times ????? I am not aware of any "adjustments" to a carrier assembly. The shell - all shells out of the magazine - should have a clear straight shot to the carrier latch.