The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 14, 2009, 11:35 PM   #1
Sevens

Finding small gun parts

I've heard and read about Numrich and Brownells, and I recall the Gun Parts Corp of West Hurley, NY (which I think is now owned by Brownell's?)

Anyhow, I'm a LONG way from a gunsmith, but smart enough to know that I'm not. But I've got one "can't miss easy fix" and I've got one basket case that I have nothing to lose by trying...

But I need some help finding the parts.

First is the EASY FIX: I was looking at the magazine that came with my buddy's HK USP .45 full size and wondering how they limited the capacity (he bought it during the hi-cap ban) I was NOT altering or nor intending to. He was looking at it also and saw a couple of tabs and elected to snap them off... and those tabs are the fat plastic tabs that hold the magazine base plate on the mag... The mag is worthless without the base plate. It's all plastic, this piece. A new magazine is like $50 or so.

How can I get this simple piece of plastic to make this magazine useful again?

Next is a Taurus PT-22 that my bro-in-law kicked toward me because he's frustrated with it's inability to feed more than one round in a row. I tried a half dozen different brands of ammo and I can't do much better. Brought it home from the range and pulled the left grip panel off and it's quite obviously working on only HALF of the slide return spring power as the left side "finger" is snapped off near the top. A new piece won't make this a fine, exquisite piece, but it MIGHT make the damn thing an actual semi-auto instead of a manually operated repeater.

I checked both Brownell's and Numrich. Brownell's either doesn't carry any HK and Taurus parts, or I can't find them. Numrich shows the piece I need for the Taurus in a schematic, but lists it as out of stock. The only schematic I could find for the HK mag base plate was NOT the correct one I'm looking for.

Anyone know where to find these parts or where to look?

Sorry for the length of my post and thanks for any help you can give me.
Old March 15, 2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Scorch

Numrich is the old name for Gun Parts Corp. All of us old-timers still call it Numrich, though. I do not know if Brownells owns Gun Parts Corp, though. Brownells owns Sinclair.

Taurus firearms have a lifetime warranty. if you return the pistol to them, they will repair it.
Old March 15, 2009, 05:57 PM   #3
Sevens

Yep. I just don't want to do that. If it were S&W, they'd send out a call tag or a prepaid box or label. Taurus wants to me to ship it and this is a pistol I didn't pay any money for, so you can bet for sure that I don't want to drop half a hundred to ship it to them.

Now this may sound stupid, but I'm serious: Would it be possible for me to DROP IT OFF to them in Florida when I'm there this summer? No shipping there!
Old March 15, 2009, 08:30 PM   #4
Scorch

Call them and ask.
Old March 17, 2009, 08:48 PM   #5
JasonG

Go to Taurus' website and find the "blown apart" schematics.
Find the part you need and write down the part #
Call them on the toll free number. Most small pieces, springs, pins etc. are only a buck or three. Shipping is 8 or 9 IIRC so get some spare striker spring or "jesus clip" while you're at it.
"Bones, what killed him ?" "Acute lead poisoning Jim....." ST-TOS#61
Old March 20, 2009, 09:37 AM   #6
TEDDY

parts

BUY AMERICAN.thats why I like american made guns.even tho I have a few foreign.
Old March 23, 2009, 08:20 PM   #7
Sevens

Quote:
BUY AMERICAN.thats why I like american made guns.even tho I have a few foreign.
Helpful.

The pistol in question is made in Florida.

That's American, right?
Old March 24, 2009, 09:32 AM   #8
SDLAW

Try these guys.
http://www.jackfirstgun.com/