The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 23, 2008, 08:27 PM   #26
hillbille

one more thing to consider, here in WV it is illegal to use a rifle or pistol which is not a single shot, double rifles are only legal if one barrell is loaded, if this happens to be the case in KY there is not much need to put out the money on a double rifle if you won't be able to use it. I would check your local law before buying.
Old December 23, 2008, 10:11 PM   #27
Osage

A couple of years ago I killed a small deer with a Walker. Probably had at least 50 grn 3f black powder. It was an easy shot and the deer didn't run too far. Probably wasn't more than 25 - 30 yards away. I don't know if I'd personally try it past 30 yards but a lethal shot could be made. I made darn sure that a cap & ball was legal in Missouri first. the ball went clean through the lungs and out the other side but like i said, it was a small deer. I assume a large doe would have gone down if hit in the same spot but probably would have run farther. I didn't really bring the gun along as a primary weapon but when a golden opportunity presented itself, I couldn't resist. I just remember taking a deer down with a good shoulder shot earlier and then having it run off as i walked up to it. I brought the walker along for backup. Anyways, the lesson is ALWAYS RELOAD before approaching the deer.
Old October 15, 2016, 12:34 AM   #28
DJWorm

Ruger Old Army upgrade for hunting

I sent my Ruger Old Army to Dave Clements in Virginia to upgrade it to a .50 cal. for hunting. This included a machined 5 round cylinder line bored with a new octagon barrel with blade sight, an extra 5 round cylinder, modified bullet press for round ball and conical bullets, trigger and action blueprinting, and a conical bullet mold.

www.clementscustomguns.com

Ballistics are similar to my Dan Wesson .44 Mag.:

170 gr. .490 ball loaded with 50 gr. Hodgdon 777 + Wonder wad = 1250 fps
250 gr. .488 conical loaded with 50 gr. Hodgdon 777 + Wonder wad = 1150 fps
Using Remington # 11 caps.

Very accurate to 50 yards + with both types of rounds

I use the 170 gr. ball for deer.
I use the 250 gr. conical for bear and elk.
Old October 15, 2016, 11:49 AM   #29
Strafer Gott

I shoot a Walker, and with 45 gr of Pyrodex P it's plenty flat (probably supersonic} to fifty yards or so. If you can get them with a bow, a Walker is bound to be easier. You can put in more powder if you think you need it.
Old October 15, 2016, 08:28 PM   #30
45 Dragoon

You can always go with full house triple 7 loads. Nothin kills um deader!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks
Old October 15, 2016, 11:53 PM   #31
Hawg

Quote:
Nothin kills um deader!!
I thought dead was dead. Are you saying there are varying degrees of dead?
Old October 16, 2016, 03:46 PM   #32
freedom475

.457 RB to the ribs....Equals a quick, clean kill!! I don't know how many I have shot with my Rem58 and the 1860..

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Cause Sam Colt don't make a 46."
Old October 16, 2016, 07:55 PM   #33
BlackPowderBen

freedom475, what distance and load do you use for your black powder revolver for hunting?
Nice deer btw
Old October 19, 2016, 12:49 AM   #34
Bill Akins

The OP asked what were our thoughts on hunting deer with a .44 cal BP revolver. Regarding that, no one has mentioned THIS Uberti black powder revolver yet. Yes it's a carbine, but still a BP revolver. This one is mine and I've only fired off a few cylinders from it so far. I used holy black 35 grains and a .454 round ball on targets. Haven't hunted with it yet, but no doubt with that longer barrel it will have more velocity than shorter barrel revolvers, and with its rifle sights, be more accurate on deer too. It balances extremely well and even with its longer barrel, I would say it is the lightest 6 shot BP carbine existing. You can even shoot it accurately one handed from the shoulder which isn't surprising since it was originally designed for cavalry use with one hand on the reins.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; October 19, 2016 at 07:15 PM.
Old October 19, 2016, 03:58 AM   #35
Pond, James Pond

If you ever chronograph that Remy carbine I'd love to know what it manages.
Old October 19, 2016, 09:00 AM   #36
rodwhaincamo

I've been drooling on that carbine for some time (considered that of the 12" steel framed Buffalo with a stock). It's on my short list of needs...

I, too, would be interested in the velocity if you ever get a chance.
Old October 19, 2016, 01:45 PM   #37
BlackPowderBen

I just got one recently, and I love it. As Bill say's it's extremely light and easy to handle.
Old October 19, 2016, 07:09 PM   #38
Bill Akins

I don't have a chronograph, but if I ever do chronograph my Remy revolving carbine, I'll be sure to post a report guys.

Oh, one other thing, You don't actually put the butt in your shoulder with that Remy revolving carbine. It is designed to be used just below the shoulder and just above the bicep. Then you kind of cock your elbow up to get a proper cheek rest. As you can see, the curvature of the butt plate is too small to use on your actual shoulder. Lots of people do not realize you don't shoulder it, but use it just below the shoulder and just above the bicep. Then the butt plate fits you perfectly.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old October 20, 2016, 06:51 AM   #39
45 Dragoon

Hawg, you're right ! LOL !!
And, since dead is dead, "nothing (I mean nothing) , kills um deader!!"

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks
Old October 20, 2016, 08:22 AM   #40
Sarge

Just as a point of reference-

No Name Italian 1860 Colt clone from the 70's. Charge was a '30 grain' spout of Triple Seven with an Ox Yoke Wonder Wad & Hornady .454 swaged ball rammed down hard. Velocity is the average of six shots, once around the cylinder.

Same load, a cylinder-full from 25 yards; bullseye or Duelist stance, if you prefer. And yes, I yanked that shot to the left. I wouldn't be afraid to carefully heart-shoot a deer with it at that distance or closer- and pour in a couple more quick, before it went down.

Old October 20, 2016, 02:04 PM   #41
Strafer Gott

I've seen some published where Pyrodex P loads actually ran a little faster. I put 35 grains in my '60 army. Good accuracy as well. I use the Ox-yoke wads too.
-
Old May 18, 2017, 06:08 AM   #42
Carlsen Highway

velocity

For those who may search and read the thread and wish to know the velocity of an 18 inch barreled Remington cap and ball revolving carbine, I chronographed mine today:

35 grains of 3F powder (of a locally-made powder very simiilar to Goex in power)
and a .454 round ball weighing 140 grains (lee mold) at ten feet:
= 1243 fps
40 grains = 1305 fps
Old May 18, 2017, 08:05 AM   #43
wap41

colt walker

I've been able to get 60 grs of powder into my walker.Thats the same as a 45/60 more than enough for deer
Old May 18, 2017, 08:13 AM   #44
wap41

double rifle

If you really want an awesome double rifle.I had one made from a sxs 16ga pinfire shotgun.I had it lined with a fast twist 45.cal bore so I can shoot sabots.Wasn't that difficult to have made and not all that expensive.
Old May 18, 2017, 11:19 AM   #45
the possum

DJ Worm-
That .50 cal Ruger sounds like the ultimate. Wow.
I don't think I'm gonna spend the $3500 to get one of my own right now, but if I ever win the lottery it's on the wish list.

If the OP is still around, I agree with the others that a normal B.P. revolver doesn't sound like it will fit the scenario you've laid out. However, what if you used it first? If a group of does walks up 20 feet away, you could shoot the first one with the revolver when you have a calm shot, and then use your rifle after the others pause 50 or 75 yards out.

If you hunt from a stand (or aren't walking too far), another option is to take two rifles. I've done it. Just keep the second one leaned up against a tree or slung on your shoulder ready to go. Heck, 'round here the shops have racks full of used muzzle loaders for $100- you could bring half a dozen of 'em up in the stand if ya wanted to.

If ya just like the revolver, that's cool, but single shot pistols are available in .50, .54, and even .58 caliber. A pair of 'em might be a more effective combo.

In centuries past, a hunting sword, hanger, or Hirschfänger were standard equipment for delivering the coup de grâce. I've finished off plenty of critters with a short sword, and it still works today, with less meat damage than another shot.

Last edited by the possum; May 18, 2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old May 18, 2017, 11:22 AM   #46
rodwhaincamo

With an energetic powder a Colt Army, Remington NMA, or similar is plenty for deer, especially if a boolit is used. These aren't unlike a mid size muzzleloader's ball at 125 yds where they are well known for producing complete passthroughs on broadside deer.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:32 PM   #47
Wyosmith

I killed 2 Mule Deer bucks with a Ruger Old Army back in 1972 and 1973. I used a Lee conical bullet of 220 grains and a full charge of 3F.
4652201R was the number.
Power is about the same as a 45 ACP I think. Maybe a bit faster, but not much.
It worked. one was shot at about 20 yards and the other at about 35 yards.

Neither deer dropped at the shot, but neither made it more than about 30 yards either. It killed them about like a good hit from a broad head on an arrow.
Old May 18, 2017, 06:06 PM   #48
rodwhaincamo

What powder were you using? I'm guessing it wasn't Swiss or Triple 7 (were they even available then?).
Old May 18, 2017, 06:29 PM   #49
Hawg

Sounds about right. Swiss has been around for centuries. T7 just since the 90's or the late 80's at the earliest. Pyrodex wasn't even around in 72.
Old May 18, 2017, 07:41 PM   #50
rodwhaincamo

But was Swiss imported here then. Seems I read something a couple of years ago that Swiss hadn't really been available until maybe a couple of decades ago.