The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 13, 2017, 10:31 AM   #26
FITASC

I'll add the HK P7 to all of the above
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 13, 2017, 10:43 AM   #27
RickB

An icon is a symbol representative of "something", so what is the something?
Guns can be icons of engineering, of manufacturing, of performance, of history?

For manufacturing, I'd pick a gun made from interchangeable parts, a gun with a plastic frame, a gun made mostly of cast parts, and mostly of MIM parts.

I don't know that they would be widely known guns?

Engineering would include rifled barrels, revolving cylinders, double action (revolvers only), swing-out cylinders, box magazine feeding, tilting barrel lock-up.

Again, would they be famous for their engineering?

Most lists are made up of guns that are icons of history and pop culture.
Old June 13, 2017, 06:12 PM   #28
Bob Wright

"Iconic" meaning readily recognizable or readily identified, leaves the broomhandle mauser, the Beretta, and the Browning out in the dark. The general public usually identifies any full size auto pistol as a "Colt .45" or "Colt Automatic." And, again, few no-gunnies know a Broomhandle Mauser from a Schmeiser. And movie goers wouldn't know a PPK from any other pocket pistol.

Show the gun in silhouette and see what answers you get, from you local church members or co-workers.

Bob Wright
Old June 13, 2017, 06:37 PM   #29
Chris_B

P08

Single Action Army

Grande Puissance

Model 29
Old June 13, 2017, 06:45 PM   #30
Chris_B

Quote:
"Iconic" meaning readily recognizable or readily identified, leaves the broomhandle mauser, the Beretta, and the Browning out in the dark. The general public usually identifies any full size auto pistol as a "Colt .45" or "Colt Automatic." And, again, few no-gunnies know a Broomhandle Mauser from a Schmeiser. And movie goers wouldn't know a PPK from any other pocket pistol.

Show the gun in silhouette and see what answers you get, from you local church members or co-workers.
One of my favorite sayings is "I can prove the Easter Bunny exists if I use a poll"

"Iconic" is dependent on who you ask. Ask most people, and they have no idea what a Colt 45 is. Malt beverage, most likely. Ask the right people and they'll say "Either the SAA or the 1911,which do you mean?".

I know a 'gun guy' that fought me tooth and nail over the term 'Colt Automatic'. I said I had a few. I don't have even one, according to him. It's not an automatic, it's semi automatic! In his opinion, I'm clueless because I think my 1918 Colt or my 1920 Colt or my 1978 Colt is a "Colt Automatic". He doesn't understand that's terminology, not technical description of operation. I imagine he thinks of a pistol's frame as a "lower".

I asked him what 'ACP' stood for once. Anyway. 'Iconic' depends on who is asked.
Old June 14, 2017, 11:25 PM   #31
Cheapshooter

Can't believe it took 16 posts to get to the top of handgun icons. The Colt Single Action Army.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old June 15, 2017, 04:59 PM   #32
dgludwig

Quote:
Can't believe it took 16 posts to get to the top of handgun icons. The Colt Single Action Army.
See post numbers 4, 7, 8, 9 and 12...
Old June 15, 2017, 08:37 PM   #33
jetinteriorguy

Lots of good ones, but everyone has missed an obvious one. Ruger Mark I.
Old June 15, 2017, 10:24 PM   #34
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Incidentally, the name "Luger" is correctly applied only to those imported by Stoegers, who have a trade mark on the name.
I have 3 Lugers, that Stoeger never imported.
Old June 16, 2017, 07:03 AM   #35
ThesNazud

I cant really disagree with any of the ones listed as being iconic, but I would like to add the Walker Colt to the list, with it being to me, the gun that started the magnum line of pistols.

It's to this day still on my short list of guns to add to collection, even if it's just a modern replica...
Old June 16, 2017, 05:55 PM   #36
dgludwig

Quote:
Lots of good ones, but everyone has missed an obvious one. Ruger Mark I.
See post number 4...
Old June 16, 2017, 07:54 PM   #37
egor20

For most of the TV viewers, the Glock. Especially when the hammers pulled back.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old June 17, 2017, 01:39 PM   #38
jetinteriorguy

I did read post #4 but for some reason Ruger 22 auto just didn't register with me as the Mark I. Must not have had my coffee yet.
Old June 20, 2017, 04:36 PM   #39
Brian48

Old June 22, 2017, 10:38 AM   #40
Bob Wright

44AMP said:
Quote:
And they are so marked?

Stoeger has claimed for many years that any such pistol sold and marked as a "Luger" is a trademark infringement.

Bob Wright
Old June 22, 2017, 11:03 AM   #41
jmstr

Quote:

That is part of what I found so interesting- differences in what the public recognizes and why, comparing here to China.

While I would tend to agree with you about the USA public not recognizing a broomhandle Mauser [C96, right?] in any way/shape/form, in China it was one of the three most common toy guns on the shelf.

Of course, China had a bunch of them before/during WWII while the USA didn't receive many.

Kind of like the BHP is more recognizable in much of the world than here, because here the 1911 'ruled' the military handgun role until the mid 1980s [we won't debate if that change was good or not, but it isn't the 'go to' issue of the entire US Military any longer].

Since China recieved more of them than the US, it makes sense that they would have a larger role in the collective consciousness of the public there- and this would be revealed in the toys they choose to make.

But I like the lists so far of what should be Iconic, based on gun owner's understandings.
Old June 22, 2017, 12:19 PM   #42
tipoc

Icon:
Quote:
emblem, symbol
the house became an icon of 1960's residential architecture
It's an emblem or symbol of something

Iconic
Quote:
a : widely recognized and well-established an iconic brand name
b : widely known and acknowledged especially for distinctive excellence, an iconic writer, a region's iconic wines
We see a pic of some guns we think "a gun". See of picture of another gun we think "cowboy gun", we think open spaces and the West, we think John Wayne, etc.. the latter is "iconic". To be truly iconic millions outside of shooters should see the image and see something more than just a gun. So the Ruger Mark 1 doesn't make the cut because most folks who are not shooters look at it and think Luger.

1. The black powder flint lock pistol
. Ya see it you think of pirates, frontiersmen, dueling, etc.

2. Colt SAA

3. The Derringer Iconic before any of our grandfathers were born.

4. S&W M&P/Colt Official Police--The double action revolver, the gun cops and security guards carried and bad guys carried for most of the 20th century. If you are of a certain age you still expect to see them in cop's holsters.

5. The Luger (P-08, Luger Parabellum, and a few other names it's called by officially and not)

6. The 1911 and it's child the Commander

7. Walther PPK (It was iconic before 007)

8. The snubby revolver. Could be the Colt Detective Special, the Cobra, the J frame Chiefs Special or the Centennial or a cut down model 10. It's a snubby. It looks like a fist held in a fist. It's the walking embodiment of a hard punch in the gut by a hard punch in the gut. You look at it and ya think of Jimmy Cagney spitting in your face.

9. The Beretta 92. Globally the king of the wonder 9s. People who don't know it's name know it was used by cops, gangsters and armies and that it shot a lot. For about 20 years it was the gun for movies.

10. The Glock. Don't matter G19 or 22, etc. "The Plastic Gun". In Die Hard 2 John McClane says "That punk pulled a Glock 7 on me!...It's a porcelain gun made in Germany. It doesn't show up on X-Ray machines, and it costs more than you make here in a month!" the Glock name means something and it's the plastic gun.

Also rans: The Mauser, the BHP, the Walther P38, any N frame S&W with a long barrel, the Colt Python, The Webley revolver.

tipoc

Last edited by tipoc; June 22, 2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old June 24, 2017, 05:51 AM   #43
rodfac

Colt SSA
S&W Hand Ejector and it's proteges: M27, M19, M29
Browning Hi-Power
Colt 1911A1
Luger P08
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old June 24, 2017, 11:36 AM   #44
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
44AMP said:

Quote:

Quote:
And they are so marked?

Stoeger has claimed for many years that any such pistol sold and marked as a "Luger" is a trademark infringement.

Bob Wright
Yes, they are marked "Luger", and no, they are NOT a trademark infringement.

I will admit that this is a kind of "gotcha" thing, and I was wondering if anyone would "bite". The Lugers I'm referring to are Stoeger Lugers, and were made in the USA (so never imported). Two of them are the Stoeger .22 Lugers, and the third is a 9mm Luger, a perfect copy of the P.08, (though dimensions are just enough different that German Luger parts will not interchange) made in Texas, in stainless steel.

The guns have Stoeger's name on them, and are clearly marked "Luger".
Old June 24, 2017, 12:48 PM   #45
SIGSHR

My list:
1. Colt 1860 Army-first truly successful and widely issued revolver
2. Colt SAA
3. The Luger-symbolizes Germany.
4. S&W M&P and Colt Official Police. HOW many LEOs carried them, how many adventure movies, detective movies, serials were they in ?
Old June 24, 2017, 12:49 PM   #46
Ricklin

Ruger Mk. 1

If we are talking about the general public...? It's likely the Mk. 1 would be identified as a Luger, due to it's silhouette.

Number one in my opinion, the Colt SAA. The gun that won the West, at least if you believe "pop culture"

Broomhandle Mauser def. belongs here too.
Old June 24, 2017, 03:05 PM   #47
dgludwig

Quote:
I will admit that this is a kind of "gotcha" thing, and I was wondering if anyone would "bite".
Well aren't you the tricky one! You got people biting past the hook, line and sinker, ending up with the bobber in their mouths. I almost became one of the fish until I squinted my eyes, looked hard and saw past the ruse. This time, anyways. I've been played plenty of other times over the years and have taken the bait every once in a while...
Old June 25, 2017, 03:08 PM   #48
44 AMP
Staff

Yes, I can be tricksy, sometimes. I do like knowing, and sometimes having guns that are exceptions to "the rule". I like showing how, sometimes, broad blanket statements, aren't 100% true.

one of my current "buttons" is the number of people who make sweeping blanket statements about striker fired pistols, as if every striker fired pistol ever made was a Glock or a close copy.

I'm fine with discussing Glocks and things like them, just say what you are talking about, don't say something that includes everything when you don't mean to include everything.

Several of my striker fired pistols are Lugers, actual German P.08 or Stoeger Lugers. Quite different from the polymer framed Glocks & similar, but still "striker fired". I've also got a 9mm pistol that is more accurate than any semi auto 9mm I've ever met. It's the ultimate low capacity 9mm. Capacity: 1 round. T/C Contender! ITs another one of the exceptions I like to point out when people make blanket statements about 9mm pistols.

I'm an odd fellow, and I have a number of odd things.
Old June 25, 2017, 08:30 PM   #49
dgludwig

Quote:
I like showing how, sometimes, broad blanket statements, aren't 100% true.
I've found, with few exceptions, that's almost always true. Certain absolutes, of course, warrant a "blanket statement": God is good; murder is bad, for example. Most discussions concerning guns (or cameras, toasters and lawnmowers, for that matter) don't come close to being an absolute of anything.
Old June 26, 2017, 06:20 AM   #50
darkgael

Quote:
Number one in my opinion, the Colt SAA. The gun that won the West, at least if you believe "pop culture"
That is very true....the understanding of pop culture.
Check out if you get a chance George Layman's "The British Bulldog: The Forgotten Gun that Really Won the West."
Mowbray Publications, ISBN 1-931464-26-X