The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 18, 2017, 10:16 PM   #1
Prof Young

Got me a Windicator!

So I posted a while back that I thought I should have a 357. It's one of the many "holes" in my collection, especially when you consider the most popular calibers. Was at Trojan Arms (See post about favorite gun stores.) and they had a nice Dan Wesson which I was looking at when I notice the EAA Windicator. A less expensive gun so I didn't expect too much, but as soon as I held it . . . I wanted it. The thing fits my hand really well. Price was $329 which is well below the MSRP but a touch more than Gunbroker ($299). However when you figure shipping and transfer fees from Gunbroker, I did okay on the price. Picked up the gun Friday and as the range stays open late that day went to give it a test run. Below is a pic of my first six shots. Not real good, but my first shot is the one right in the center. Gotta love that. Plus the Range master and I were the only one's there so I let him take a shot. He hit dead center in the top part of the target. Oh and we were shooting at about five yards. Anyway I'm sure I can get tighter groups when I work at it. I ran about 35 rounds of 38 special and 20 of 357. Way fun to shoot. Hang on tight when you shoot the 357. Really like this gun and will enjoy shooting it and letting others, that I trust, shoot it too.

Life is good.

Prof Young
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38spl.JPG (90.2 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg yellow target.JPG (69.3 KB, 196 views)
Old June 19, 2017, 05:20 AM   #2
TJB101

It's a nice, solid gun.... shot one a few years back. Enjoy!
Old June 19, 2017, 08:05 AM   #3
Rothdel

I had one which I used to take with me on camping trips. Pretty solid revolver and at a price point that screams beater gun. Ended up selling it which I probably shouldn't have.

I learned a few things however that I wish I had known prior to purchasing. So some unsolicited advice.

1. Check the barrel and gauge how well it was cut. When these are imported they normally have a 4 inch barrel and the importer chops some of them down to a 2 inch model. The level of precision can be lacking and I have seen some that look like a hacksaw was taken to them and some look very clean. This can affect accuracy. Most are left in the raw with no finish or smoothing after the cut. I had mine crowned and blued and since my friend did it it cost me nothing. I would not pay a ton to do it but if accuracy is a big deal for you its something to think about.

2. The grooves on the trigger will end up being painful if you do long shooting sessions. While I normally would never suggest taking a dremmel to a gun removing those grooves was the best thing I ever did to this firearm.

3. There is some discussion and rumor that these guns were originally overbuilt 38's converted to chamber the .357 for the American Market. Not sure on that and have not bothered to do a lot of research here. Most of the folks that make the claim do so because continuous use of .357 can loosen the gun and will sometimes lock up the cylinder. I have never had any issues firing .357 out of mine but I don't feed it a steady diet either. I'm always a little leery about gun forum horror stories but in this case I think there may be some truth to it. One point of evidence is the marking on the shroud where 38 special is clearly marked and 357 is a second stamp under the original marking.
Old June 19, 2017, 08:31 AM   #4
g.willikers

You might want to check the material used for the frame with a magnet to get an idea of what to shoot in it.
Pretty sure it's made by Weihrauch.
Old June 19, 2017, 08:52 PM   #5
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
You might want to check the material used for the frame with a magnet to get an idea of what to shoot in it.
Could you further explain this test.
Old June 19, 2017, 10:44 PM   #6
PzGren

"You might want to check the material used for the frame with a magnet to get an idea of what to shoot in it.
Pretty sure it's made by Weihrauch."

That is what I believe, too. Weihrauch is using cast parts and it shows on their trigger pull and longevity of their revolvers.

I had recently sighted a Weihrauch of their Arminius line in at 25 meters and was not impressed with it.

Old June 20, 2017, 07:28 AM   #7
wild cat mccane

It's pot metal with a steel barrel. It's inferior to stainless steel/carb. steel.

That's what they are saying.
Old June 21, 2017, 09:19 AM   #8
Model12Win

LOVE those Windys!! Keep em coming, gang!!
Old June 21, 2017, 07:39 PM   #9
damienph

I don't have a Windicator but I do have two Zamak framed revolvers that have been pretty reliable and well worth the money that I paid for them. However OP, next time that you are in the gun store take a closer look at the Dan Wesson .357 revolvers, they are very well made, all steel and very accurate.
Old June 23, 2017, 12:59 AM   #10
Prof Young

damien . . . Yes . . .

Damienph - I know the Dan Wesson is a better gun. I've passed on two opportunites to buy a good one now. Maybe someday. The Windicator just felt so good in my hand that I had to go for it.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old June 23, 2017, 07:09 AM   #11
GarandTd

I've had my eye on the Windicator for a lil while. Biggest complaint I read about is the rough cut barrel on the snubs. I wasn't aware of the cast frame.
Prof Young, how does the muzzle on your example look?
Old June 23, 2017, 07:17 AM   #12
g.willikers

It's not that castings are a problem.
Many top manufacturers use cast frames.
Many if not most car engines are made of cast parts.
It's also the casting material that is important.
Old June 23, 2017, 09:04 AM   #13
GarandTd

The EAA website is rather unclear. Amongst the list of features, both steel frame and alloy frame is listed. I doubt they are available in both. They do note that the Windicator is not legal in states with melt point regulations.
Old June 23, 2017, 11:07 AM   #14
Cheapshooter

If you look at the models that are not allowed in melt test states it's clear that the 38 Special is alloy, and the 357 Magnum is steel.

That also explains the extra 357 Magnum stamp on the barrel that looks like an afterthought. Same barrels, different frames.
https://eaacorp.com/guns/handguns/wi...-weihrauch-112
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old June 23, 2017, 04:57 PM   #15
damienph

Prof Young, I wasn't criticizing your choice. I like the two Zamak framed revolvers that I have and would buy them again given the same circumstances. I am just saying when that third chance at a Dan Wesson comes your way, give it some serious consideration. My 6" Dan Wesson model 15VR is one of the most accurate revolvers that I own and I am fortunate to have accumulated quite a variety.

I certainly agree that life is good
Damien
Old June 23, 2017, 07:39 PM   #16
GarandTd

Thanks Cheapshooter for the clarification. I looked again and there it was plain as day.
Old June 23, 2017, 08:24 PM   #17
Doc Holliday 1950

In my revolver days before I got educated I had a 4" EEA Windicator 357 and it was excellent. Put 3000 plus rounds from 38 P+ to 357 mag. through it (had to change the grips).
Never had any problems, shot straight as one could ask, and ate anything I put in it. Sold it to buy my Ruger GP 100 4.2'. But for an inexpensive gun, EEA made a good solid 4" 357.
FYI. Just my opinion, but anytime you can hit your target in that close a grouping, you're doing pretty good.
Good Shooting.

Doc
Old June 23, 2017, 09:34 PM   #18
Cheapshooter

Yeah GarandTd. It is kind of confusing the way they have it written. Had me scratching my bald head. Then the idea hit me to look at what models were on the melt test list.
I really like the feel of the Windicator 2" 357. Was going to save up a bunch of Gander Mountain points for one, or at least a big part of the price. They had them in stock on, and off. Well, now we know what happened to GM, so I'll have to hope Cabela's (the card I use now) starts selling them, or just buy one somewhere else.
Not really high on my list any more. Never really had a need for one, just a want for another range boomer.
Old June 24, 2017, 09:03 AM   #19
Doc Holliday 1950

Buds sells the 2" for $292.00 & the 4" for $323. Both in black

Doc
Old June 25, 2017, 11:26 AM   #20
Prof Young

Here is my muzzle!

GarandTd - Link below to pic of my muzzle.

Everyone take a look and tell me if you thing this is a rough cut muzzle or not.

I don't know enough yet to decide.

Life is good.

Prof Young.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EAA muzzle.JPG (91.5 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by Prof Young; June 25, 2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old June 25, 2017, 04:40 PM   #21
GarandTd

Well, it appears to have been cut straight. Is there finish over it? You have a blued version, I see. It looks like it has sharp edges at the muzzle. It's my understanding this is how the snubs come due to import laws. There are a few reports of some real hack jobs with pictures to go with them. Yours doesn't look like a hack job. Less finished than other makers, but standard for the Windicator 2".
Old July 10, 2017, 11:56 AM   #22
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Not really high on my list any more. Never really had a need for one, just a want for another range boomer.
Well, not eben on the list any
was at my friend's place for a few days, and of course had to go see the evil gun shop lady. Npthing teally jumped up and daid biy me, and I just had to havd brakes put on my truck, so I wasn't really buying. Went down the road a piece to another shop, and there it was. 2" 357 Winny. Told my buddy we had to leave before I bought something....Wish I would have drove LOL. I think he made excuses to stsy just to see me spend money. OK, I've had my turn at. doing that to him.
The barrel os cut smooth, and it feels great. shoots better than any snubbie I have shot. I didn't have any magnum ammo with me, bit it tamed down some 38+P 158gr FBI loads that pretty well rock your world in my LCR.
Accuracy was ptetty impressive at short, SD didtance of about 10 yards.
Very happy with my. dawed off German wheeler.
Old July 14, 2017, 12:30 AM   #23
Doc Holliday 1950

Glad you posted on this. I got alot of flack when I first joined 'The Forum". EEA makes a decent revolver in their 357 mag 2", 4" and 6" revolvers. my 4" was a straight and accurate shooter and only sold it to buy my Ruger GP 100 4.2" 357 mag. Yes, I'm a novice in weapons, but I can tell if a revolver/pistol is accurate and/or easy to shoot and/or reload. Money is not only just the criteria for getting a good shooter. You just have to choose wisely.

Doc