The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old June 23, 2017, 01:52 PM   #1
Buzzcook

Longest sniper shot. 3,450 meters

I can't think of anything to add to this.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/canadian-...113726403.html

Quote:
A Canada special elite forces sniper broke the world record for the longest kill shot in the military history. According to the Globe and Mail, the sniper whose name was withheld, fired from a stunning distance of 3,450 meters. He is a part of the Joint Task Force 2 in the Iraq Civil War.

The target was an ISIS operative and by killing him, the sniper broke the previous record by almost 1000 meters. He stood on a high-rise during an operation that took place within the last month in Iraq and fired. It took the bullet under 10 seconds to hit the target. The report said that the kill was independently verified by video and camera data. An unnamed military source was quoted saying: “Hard data on this. It isn’t an opinion. It isn’t an approximation. There is a second location with eyes on with all the right equipment to capture exactly what the shot was.”
Old June 23, 2017, 04:25 PM   #2
Strafer Gott

Glad I'm not the opposition, fer sure fer sure.
Old June 23, 2017, 04:49 PM   #3
Double Naught Spy

After going through numerous accounts of long range sniper incidents, I am curious as to what really went on there. No doubt it was a very excellent long shot, but from the news accounts, you would think that the sniper selected a single target and pulled the trigger only once, hitting the target, in an attempt to influence an ongoing battle that was occurring. Then, what, the sniper and spotter went home, calling it a job well done? No, of course not.

Flight time was in excess of 6 seconds (accounts say <10) and so it would be tough to hit a particular human in the midst of a battle in such a circumstance. There is a huge reliance on the particular target to remain still while the bullet is in flight. You have to wonder how many ranging shots were made to get in the area. How many shots were made before one of the bullets then actually managed to connect with a person. Was the sniper actually trying to connect with a given target or just trying to make area target shots?
Old June 23, 2017, 05:45 PM   #4
Buzzcook

All good points for which I don't have the answer.

Though I would guess that in a battle people might stay put if they think they have cover and if their job dictates they do like the sniper.
Old June 23, 2017, 05:48 PM   #5
Evan Thomas

Already being discussed in this thread -- we don't need a duplicate.