The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 3, 2017, 04:22 PM   #26
Bongo Boy

This is an 'oh my god' moment if ever there was one...a special thanks to AMP 44 and the suggestion my issue might be the scope. Glory be!!!

I removed the Leupold and thankfully had a taller set of Ruger scope rings that came with the rifle, to mount a 40 year old Bushnell Banner variable that dad had mounted on a Mossberg slug gun.

After some zeroing in...where each and every pair of sighting-in shots touched one another--I was able to do this 2 1/2" group at 100 yds...with a hot barrel.

These are with 300 gr Hornady HP bullets and 46 gr of 4198. I got a similar group with 42 gr 4198 and 350 gr RN jacketed (also Hornady, I think), and a group with 2" potential at 75 yds with my 420 gr flat point cast bullets over 42 gr of 4198.

All rounds were shot indoors from a rickety rest taped together with electrical tape (literally), and using my new Jard trigger setup. I think I am now finally at the point where there's actually something I can do as the shooter to tighten these groups up a bit....but I'm ecstatic.

Giddy with excitement, actually. Thanks again to everyone, but especially my automag friend for the suggestion I would have never thought of. You've saved me a lot of grief and probably a lot of money, as well.

Last edited by Bongo Boy; June 3, 2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old June 3, 2017, 05:19 PM   #27
random guy

Dang. Wish I had said that.

Glad you're getting better results!
Old June 3, 2017, 06:40 PM   #28
flashhole

Glad you got it sorted out. Now you can enjoy the gun.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old June 3, 2017, 07:37 PM   #29
Bongo Boy

Quote:
Dang. Wish I had said that.
Okay..you did, of course. ...my bad for missing it. You can lead a horse to water and all that.
Old June 4, 2017, 06:54 AM   #30
random guy

LOL. Just kidding you.

If I were you, I'd pay more attention to 44AMP (among others) too.

There really is a ton of experience on this board.
Old June 4, 2017, 11:43 AM   #31
44 AMP
Staff

44AMP is good. 44AMP is kind. 44AMP is wise. 44AMP has the knowing of many things. Listen to 44AMP.......Roll the map!!!

Glad its working for ya, Bongo.

Once in a while, I actually get things right. I think that's two you owe me, now.

So, when we someday meet in that great range in the sky (or in my case, that really warm underground range...)

You're buyin'!

Good Luck, and if I can help again, just ask. I might even be right.
Old June 4, 2017, 10:48 PM   #32
Bongo Boy

Happy to buy a round or two!

What makes me especially hopeful is that I was shooting from a nasty, jiggly rest and had no choice but to rest the gun way out on the forearm--1/2 way out at least. So my point bein', I think under better conditions, maybe some forearm bedding and a somewhat less toasty barrel, maybe real groups will be mine at last.

I also think I should have little trouble doing fairly well with both my 325 gr and 420 gr cast bullets. Life is worth living again.
Old August 23, 2017, 05:25 PM   #33
Bongo Boy

While the Leupold was out in the shop I picked up a Skinner rear peep and installed it. Got out to the range a couple of weeks ago and had some more fun. I managed a group about 1 1/2" wide by 3 1/2" tall at 50 yds with a toasty hot tube.

I was running a lot of 420gr cast over 45 gr 3031, and after a while that provided a pretty good wallopin'. Anyway, that 'group', if you want to call it that, is still as good if not better than shooting with a busted scope, so good times all 'round.

Wish I didn't have to choose between the two setups, but it's the peep or the scope--pick one. I've got the scope back from Leupold now, and they claim to have replaced a few parts--but I like the looks of the rifle so much more with the peep sight, I may just leave it on and see what I can do with it and some less-punishing loads.

As a final update, because I know everyone is on the edge of their seats, I filled the buttstock retainer bolt hole with about 12+ oz of lead shot, and installed a massive Limbsaver express rifle recoil pad (it's one of those 1 1/2" thick babys). Oh my goodness, far more improvement than I'd ever expected.

Last edited by Bongo Boy; August 23, 2017 at 05:46 PM.