The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 7, 2004, 09:57 PM   #1
AJ Peacock

Tried IDPA for the first time this weekend.

Howdy all,

A friend of mine (Cliff) invited me to join him at an IDPA match this weekend. I didn't have any of the appropriate equipment so I borrowed everything I needed. Cliff loaned me a Glock 19, holster and mag pouches. First of all, I've never been a Glock fan, I used to have a Sig P226 and looked down my nose at the 'plastic gun'. I never really gave them a chance.

I'm not a novice when it comes to shooting on the clock, as I am a pretty serious Cowboy Action Shooter, but shooting Ruger Vaqueros, Lever action rifles and pump shotguns are a LITTLE different than shooting a Glock.

Well the first 4 stages went great, I was concentrating on handling the pistol and not letting it amputate my left thumb (trying to cock it like I do my Vaquero single action revolvers). Each of the first 4 stages was a typical 18 round stage with a good amount of movement, cover and reloads. I ended up averaging around 26-33 seconds with 2-3 down on the IDPA targets. I did receive one procedural and shot one hostage ;-). I was having a ball and only had a small blood blister on my left thumb.

On the 5th stage, I decided not to concentrate on the pistol and I tried to shoot 'in the zone' and ignore the equipment. Well, it went great double tap 3 bad guys while sitting, move and open the door double tap 3 more bad guys(reloading as needed), move uprange and double tap 3 more bad guys through a hole in the wall. 25 seconds and only 1 down (only 1/2" out of the A).

Well, I had a great time and have new respect for Glocks. I am now thinking about getting a G23 instead of an HK and taking the extra $'s and getting a Barrel I can shoot lead with, holster, mag pouches and still have some $ left over :-)

Thats it, just wanted to share my experience.

BTW: I shot a Cowboy match today and never once tried to reach for a magazine (ha ha)

Later,
AJ
Old November 7, 2004, 11:05 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Get a G17, 22, 34, or 35. The bigger guns are easier to shoot. Unless you want to carry a G23 and get the practice with it.

H&Ks are VERY scarce on the IPDA circuit. If it isn't a 1911 or Glock you are swimming upstream. There are other guns being shot, but the smart money is on Mr Browning and Gaston.

If you handload, I am told that a light load .40 is softer to shoot than 9mm ball. I don't know because I don't do .40, but if it is softer than my 9mm subsonics, it is really mild.

You can buy a lot of jacketed, plated, or moly coated bullets for the price of a new barrel, and have less smoke from smoldering cast bullet lube to put up with.
Old November 8, 2004, 07:50 AM   #3
AJ Peacock

Jim,

Thanks for the input, I do want to shoot IDPA to get better with my carry gun. So I'll probably get the G23. I currently carry a KelTec P11 and don't enjoy practicing with it.

I don't really have the time to get into another 'sport' for the competition, figured I would do IDPA in the winter (off season). Easier to shoot a plastic pistol than it is to shoot all the cowboy guns when the temperature is hovering around zero. And after all, trigger time is trigger time.

I do reload and figured I'd get a barrel that had 'more' support and as an offshoot would be able to shoot lead and save some $'s.

Thanks again,
AJ
Old November 8, 2004, 07:11 PM   #4
BillOH

AJ,

Glad you enjoy IDPA. Since you are a Cowboy shooter I have an idea for you. I have done this on second gun reshoots just for fun. The IDPA rules say you are not allowed to shoot 2 guns. I interpret that to mean you can carry more than 2 guns and do my reshoots with 2 cap & ball revolvers plus a couple of Vaqueros shooting black powder. I have fun and it always draws a crowd.

Bill
Old November 8, 2004, 09:36 PM   #5
AJ Peacock

Bill,

Shooting the single actions in IDPA would be fun, I think I'd have to take my '73 and my 2 vaqueros. I'd almost certainly be faster than my time with the Glock.

AJ