The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 16, 2017, 07:07 PM   #26
Nick_C_S

I have a Lyman 1200 I use at the beginning of the case reconditioning process (to clean the cases back from the range so they're ready to go through the dies).

I have a Frankford Arsenal rotary tumbler with ss pins that I use at the end of the case reconditioning process (final clean and shine - inside n out, including primer pockets - so they're ready for reloading.

If either one bit the dust, they'd likely be replaced with the same unit. I am very pleased with their performance - both.
Old June 16, 2017, 10:44 PM   #27
disseminator

I have a Dillon 750 that I run with the crushed Walnut. But I have not used it ever since I got the FART.

(Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler)

The brass is so much nicer and best of all, no lead dust from the vibrator and the separator. I bought a cheap Frankford Arsenal separator to separate the pins and that works really good. Check out their videos for the details.

FART.

Old June 17, 2017, 10:54 AM   #28
Roland Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308Loader
I use the lyman 1200 and a harbor freight 5 pound vibratory tumbler, both can be had for $60 bucks or so
Where can you get a Lyman 1200 for $60. The 1200 with autoflow is $103 at Midway
Old June 19, 2017, 08:23 AM   #29
hounddawg

Quote:
Where can you get a Lyman 1200 for $60. The 1200 with autoflow is $103 at Midway
Amazon has the 1200 on sale for $43.99, normally $75.50.

https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Pro-120.../dp/B000KKEPOW

Sometimes it pays to shop outside the box. I got my Frankford Armory Rotary through Jet.com for $135 shipped using a $20 off coupon
Old June 19, 2017, 09:46 AM   #30
Roland Thunder

I talked to Lyman customer service and they have advised me that I cannot purchase just the motor, I have to purchase the base and the motor together for $36.95 and they are out of stock. They also told me that the bowl from the 1200/Auto Flow will fit on the 1200 so, for $43.99 from Amazon, as noted by hounddawg, I think I will just get one of those and use the bowl from my AUTOFLOW 1200.
Old June 19, 2017, 09:51 AM   #31
Unclenick
Staff

That sounds like it makes the most sense. Do you know what quit on the old one? I took the bottom grill off mine years ago to increase air flow over the motor, which I thought got a bit warm on mine. You just don't want to do that if you are around kids or pets or anyone else who might be tempted to put their fingers in there while it's running.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 19, 2017, 10:48 AM   #32
Roland Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick
That sounds like it makes the most sense. Do you know what quit on the old one? I took the bottom grill off mine years ago to increase air flow over the motor, which I thought got a bit warm on mine. You just don't want to do that if you are around kids or pets or anyone else who might be tempted to put their fingers in there while it's running.
It was the motor. One day last week, I decided to dump the media and cleaned brass into the separator instead of using the autoflow (I normally always used the autoflow but this day I was in a hurry to get the brass out of the tumbler). So, instead of taking the bowl off, I turned the whole unit upside down and that's when the motor went caput. Now it just hums. Lesson learned.

I may still get me a rotary tumbler eventually but usually, I am in a hurry and don't have time to wait for the brass to dry out. I usually tumble it in the morning so I can use it in the evening and de-capping it first is not an option for me.
Old June 19, 2017, 01:55 PM   #33
cw308

Once its kicked around here for awhile, it will wind up what's best. Glad it worked out. That's why I'm a member of this forum . Great group of people.

Chris
Old June 19, 2017, 02:02 PM   #34
Unclenick
Staff

Roland,

Have you tried spinning the motor by hand? If it drags or doesn't turn, maybe some media got caught between the rotor and the stator. Get the grill off to see if you can turn it, and if it's not free, slip a piece of paper into that gap and see if you can move it around until you find the problem particle.
Old June 22, 2017, 01:13 PM   #35
hdwhit

I built my own rotary tumbler using the drive mechanism from an old Texas Instruments dot matrix printer and some ball bearing rollers from Harbor Freight. I use plastic coffee cans for the drum and tumble dry using walnut media.

It is loud because the printer was loud to begin with so it lives in the garage. I load up cases and media before I go to bed and start tumbling. In the morning, I take that coffee can off the rollers, replace it with another one and head to work. By the time I get home, I have two batches of brass that have been tumbling for 8 hours each.

I don't get the mirror shine that comes from wet tumbling with steel pins, but it is shiny enough for me.
Old June 22, 2017, 01:18 PM   #36
RC20

I had one, but it was very noisy (shotp attached to house so not a good thing to having going while the wife is relaxing at night, I got to bed early as I have 10 hours shift and not bothered by it in the far end of the house but she is right next to it)

The Thumbler did a far better job and was vastly less noisy.

Frankly I would go with the stainless steel media units now, have seen the results, clean inside as well as outside.

More a bigger deal if you anneal (not smoke)
Old June 24, 2017, 07:24 AM   #37
Roland Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick
maybe some media got caught between the rotor and the stator.
You were exactly right. I took a screw driver and poked the blades of the fan a couple of times while the tumbler was turned on. Whatever it was, popped out and the darned thing started running again. Not sure why I didn't try that first before ordering a new one.

Fortunately, I was able to get in touch with Amazon and cancel the order for a new tumbler before it got shipped and all seems to be well.

Well, now that I've saved myself the expense of a new tumbler, maybe I'll start saving for a rotary one

Thanks for all the tips
Old June 24, 2017, 07:56 AM   #38
Mobuck

I wouldn't recommend the "Midway" Frankford Armory brand. They don't work well nor last long. I'm running a pair of Lyman 1200's, a Lyman 600, and a Dillon sized about 1/2 way between the 600 and 1200-I have 2 FA units sitting on the shelf because they just don't get the job done.. The Lyman 1200's are fast and effective(and easy to overload). If your motor burned out, I'll wager it was due to overloading the tub.
Harbor Freight is a no-go for me-too many "stories" on their stuff.
Old June 24, 2017, 08:49 AM   #39
cw308

I know Harbor Freight isn't known for quality but I tried their tumbler single drum just to see how wet tumble with SS pins. I only shoot 30 rounds each week, bench rest only. I use it every week brass looks brand new. Once I saw how it worked I bought the red tumbler B tumbler. Will never go back to dry.
Old June 25, 2017, 11:17 AM   #40
RC20

That's my advise if you are staring out.

Just go with the stainless pins and a good unit.

I still think if I am not annealing I will use the Thrumbler, but am working up to the stainless wet setup for when I am doing the anneal on the brass as its not just the lack of smoke, the heat is more evenly controlled.
Old June 30, 2017, 05:23 PM   #41
308Loader

Quote:
Got mine at the Fleet & Farm, I've seen them at Cabals for the same on sale. Woops, shoulda kept on reading. Glad to hear you fixed it. if you shoot a lot of different calibers or sort your brass by head stamp, I find 2 tumblers a blessing. No need to resort after sizing and tumbling for the 2nd time. Or for that matter you can separate your 556 and 9mm, or 45 and 9 and tumble both at the same time without the cases stacking during tumbling.

Last edited by 308Loader; June 30, 2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old June 30, 2017, 05:30 PM   #42
Unclenick
Staff

Roland,

Glad we solved it. Not a lot to go wrong on such a basic mechanism, and I got mine in the early 1980's and bought the separator bowl for it when they first came out. Still runs fine, so the apparent short life of yours was surprising. It's an overbuilt machine to being with.
Old July 7, 2017, 09:31 AM   #43
Roland Thunder

On June 24 I got a new Lyman 1200 tumbler that I ordered on Amazon. I've used it a grand total of 2 times. 2 nights ago, I turned it on and set the timer for 4 hours and put about 60 pieces of brass in it. I used the bowl and cover from the 1200 w/auto flow that I mentioned earlier in this thread that was not working anymore. Lyman had told me that the auto flow bowl could be used with any 1200 tumbler they offer. I thought, after I turned it on, that it sounded a lot louder than my previous 1200 w/auto flow. When I came out in the morning, the bowl was laying on it's side, the threaded stem had broken in two, apparently from the vibration. I called Amazon and they are sending me a new one overnight.