The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 25, 2013, 01:19 PM   #1
e-bear

922R ?

I've run across 922R in several comments on this forum. Not to sound like a dummy, but what is 922R. And if I do sound like a dummy, your hearing me and not reading me, Dummy.
Old March 25, 2013, 01:25 PM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

Can you tell us where you found those comments? From your post, I can't tell if it's some Model 922R, or perhaps 18 USC 922(r), for example.
Old March 25, 2013, 01:27 PM   #3
m.p.driver

Requirement ATF came up with in 1994 for imported "Assault rifles". Had to have X number of U.S.made parts to be considered legal.Or to take off some god awful thumb hole stocks ,that some manufacturers were forced to put on their products.
Old March 25, 2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Webleymkv

In order to fully understand 922(r), you have to first understand 925(d)(3). You see, 925(d)(3) bans the importation of "semi-automatic assault weapons" which are defined as semi-automatic rifles and shotguns with certain features such as pistol grips, bayonet lugs, flash hiders, etc. 922(r) applies only to imported firearms which, after their importation, are reconfigured in a way that would be banned from importation under 925(d)(3). This is why guns like Saiga rifles and shotguns are only subject to 922(r) when modified in certain ways: in their stock configuration they have no "assault weapon" features and thus are allowed for importation under 925(d)(3).

922(r) contains a list of certain parts including recievers, stocks, triggers, hammers, disconnecters, handguards, and barrels. Under 922(r), an imported gun is illegal if reconfigured with "assault weapon" features unless no more than 10 of the specified parts are imported. This is why you see a cottage industry for easily replacable U.S.-made parts for imported firearms like AK-47 derivatives and SKS rifles. Also, it is worth mentioning that firearms imported prior to 1989 (when both laws took effect) are grandfathered and thus not subject to 925(d)(3) or 922(r).
Old March 25, 2013, 06:28 PM   #5
Mike38

There is a 922r compliance tool on the forum at www.saiga-12.com that is very helpful. Just check the items on the list that your rifle has, and the computer program will tell you if you are compliant (legal) or not.