The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 14, 2017, 04:52 PM   #26
BeornLS

In my humble opinion the SD9VE is the absolute best value there is in a handgun right now. I myself picked up another one at Academy last weekend for $279.00. The one I've had has always performed flawless, it'll eat any type of ammo, etc.

I have XD's, Glocks, etc. And they are all fine firearms and yeah they may be better built and prettier to look at. But the SD9VE is the perfect truck gun and when you can literally get two of them for the price of some of the others it's a no brainer. All of them are tools that you can count on getting the job done when needed.

Lots of people complain about the triggers on the VE but I guess I'm one of those lucky ones where it honestly doesn't bother me at all. Matter of fact I personally prefer the heavier SD trigger (mine is right at 7.25 lbs) when carrying.

Anyway, the SD9VE can't be beat for the price. I'm actually considering getting a couple more of them.

One last thing (editing to add this), Academy also has a SD9 version, or at least my local one did. From what I understand...and I may be wrong...the SD9 is an Academy exclusive version of the SD9VE with the only changes being a blackened slide and fiber optic sights. Also I think it comes in a plastic box instead of the cardboard box. Everything else is the same. If someone knows otherwise please correct me!! anyway, this SD9 version is also on sale for I think $329 right now. Not a bad deal if someone doesn't like the silver slide and wants fiber optic sights.

Last edited by BeornLS; February 14, 2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old February 14, 2017, 06:03 PM   #27
Tibult

The trigger is ok for defensive shooting its not a target gun if the bullets hit the target within a chest sized area you aimed at then its good to go.
The reset is long but its fine for the purpose of this gun.
I give this gun a 7/10 I bought mine for $230 used put 130 rounds through it with different types of ammo no issues. I am getting used to the trigger and the groups get better. I probably will buy another one if I see a good deal under $300. Its a inexpensive gun I can leave in my vehicle in places that dont allow ccw and have as a spare carry gun if I need more firepower.
Smith and Wesson will probably make a better trigger and newer better revised model once the market demands high quality and inexpensive handguns like Caniks and Taurus g2 series but domestically produced.
Old February 14, 2017, 07:09 PM   #28
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibult
Smith and Wesson will probably make a better trigger and newer better revised model once the market demands high quality and inexpensive handguns like Caniks and Taurus g2 series but domestically produced.
I doubt that; I don't think there's enough room price-wise between the SD and the M&P to accommodate a third pistol line. It would cannibalize sales from the models above and below it. This already happened in 2011 when S&W originally offered the SD and SWxE pistols side-by-side with night sights on the SD for $75 more. In mid-2012, they dropped the night sights, changed the slide finish to stainless, added the "VE" suffix, and dropped the MSRP by $50, replacing the SWxE. (The street price has subsequently dropped down to SWxE levels).

Additionally, IMHO there's really not a substantial build-quality or fit-and-finish gulf between the SD and a G2 or Canik, while the SD offers a much better-known brand name and it's "MADE IN USA." Based on hanging around at Academy Sports, this is enough to make a majority of buyers choose the SD.
Old February 14, 2017, 07:29 PM   #29
Tibult

I meant they update the SD line currently with changes not a whole new separate line.
Old February 15, 2017, 09:28 AM   #30
DMK

Quote:
One last thing (editing to add this), Academy also has a SD9 version, or at least my local one did. From what I understand...and I may be wrong...the SD9 is an Academy exclusive version of the SD9VE with the only changes being a blackened slide and fiber optic sights. Also I think it comes in a plastic box instead of the cardboard box. Everything else is the same. If someone knows otherwise please correct me!! anyway, this SD9 version is also on sale for I think $329 right now. Not a bad deal if someone doesn't like the silver slide and wants fiber optic sights.
I believe that's the previous model to the one currently produced. There are only minor differences between the SD9/SD40 and the SD9VE/SD40VE. I've never heard of them coming with fiber optic sights though. That might be some kind of distributor exclusive thing.

CarguyChris gives a really good breakdown of the various models/generations here:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=11

Last edited by DMK; February 15, 2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old February 15, 2017, 09:36 AM   #31
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeornLS
Academy also has a SD9 version...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK
That's actually the previous model to the one currently produced. (SD9/SD40 without the VE).
No, the ones at Academy Sports are advertised and marked as an SD9, no "VE." They revived the black slide finish and non-VE markings, but the pistols don't come with night sights, so they're not exactly the same as the previous 2011-2012 iteration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibult
I meant they update the SD line currently with changes not a whole new separate line.
They might do that. Who knows? Maybe they could call them the GP9 and GP40. SD40-2 would work, but SD9-2 obviously wouldn't. (Obscure joke that U.S. railfans will understand. )
Old February 15, 2017, 09:37 AM   #32
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

That pistol is indeed the "poorman's Glock".

It allways will work and functions flawlessly. It is an 100% reliable pistol.

However it is a Plastik gun and only 22 oz. I developed an severe flinch because of this light weight 9mm Luger pistol and because of the Trigger.

The Trigger is not too bad but muzzle flip for me is too much for this 9mm pistol and prefer an all metal pistol with an weight of around 34 oz to 36 oz for an more comfortable Shooting.
Slide and Metall parts are better than Glock's but the Plastik is a bit thin.

Shooting the SD9VE before an SAA 1873 Revolver screws up the Shooting skills completely IMHO.
Old February 15, 2017, 01:46 PM   #33
DMK

Quote:
No, the ones at Academy Sports are advertised and marked as an SD9, no "VE." They revived the black slide finish and non-VE markings, but the pistols don't come with night sights, so they're not exactly the same as the previous 2011-2012 iteration.
That is interesting. So they are an exclusive. They don't even show up on S&Ws website.

It looks like the same barrel and slide finish that S&W is using on the Shield (Armornite over stainless steel).
Old February 16, 2017, 03:41 AM   #34
roarshock

I didn't intend to like this pistol. Purely pragmatic - cheap. Plastic.Too flashy. But all the youtubes comparing it identical to a Glock 19 urged a little more respect. More convincingly the ergonomics are great and the controls are really easy to operate. Feels good and handles nice. Terrible trigger for targets? True. But shoot it fast as possible alongside the better trigger guns and the difference is slight if noticeable at all. Long sight radius, big front sight, heavy barrel, low bore axis, perfect grip, ideal spring rates. Stainless barrel and slide! The recoil and muzzle flip are less for me than the little Tristar C-100 which I actually do like. It's a real metal pistol after all of renowned heritage and very well made. But a half price Glock backed up by a much more customer friendly USA company? Fills more than a niche in the market. Hope the prices stay reasonable.
Old February 16, 2017, 08:10 AM   #35
DMK

Quote:
More convincingly the ergonomics are great and the controls are really easy to operate. Feels good and handles nice. Terrible trigger for targets? True. But shoot it fast as possible alongside the better trigger guns and the difference is slight if noticeable at all. Long sight radius, big front sight, heavy barrel, low bore axis, perfect grip, ideal spring rates. Stainless barrel and slide!
Nice summary. I agree with all those points, except that I don't think the trigger is terrible. Great trigger? No, but not terrible either.

The guns are a lot of fun to shoot steel with.
Old February 16, 2017, 07:11 PM   #36
osbornk

Quote:
However it is a Plastik gun and only 22 oz. I developed an severe flinch because of this light weight 9mm Luger pistol and because of the Trigger.

The Trigger is not too bad but muzzle flip for me is too much for this 9mm pistol and prefer an all metal pistol with an weight of around 34 oz to 36 oz for an more comfortable Shooting.
Slide and Metall parts are better than Glock's but the Plastik is a bit thin.
I also had a terrible flinch with my SD9VE that I had to work on to get rid of. I adjusted finally with practice so I do fairly well with it now. However, I have a full size steel 1911 in 9mm that I am much more accurate with. I shoot heavy guns better but I carry light most of the time.
Old February 16, 2017, 07:44 PM   #37
deputy tom

SD9VE...

I shoot this gun better than any Glock I've owned and really liked the low price. I'd buy another if I needed to. YMMV. tom.

An end will come on the world, but love and music will endure.
Thig crioch air an t-saoghail, ach mairidh gaol 's ceol.
Old Scottish Gaelic proverb
Old February 17, 2017, 09:55 PM   #38
roarshock

I've shot mine enough to really improve the trigger pull itself, but control and predictability hasn't kept up with the mechanical smoothness. Wish there was a definite break instead of that lazy roll over. Crappy triggers can improve your shooting though. It's fun to just throw it up and fire like it was a shotgun or bow, intuitively like a baseball almost, so the trigger isn't so important, just part of the process. I won't be posting any targets needless to say...but it works pretty well sometimes.
Old February 19, 2017, 12:44 PM   #39
Onward Allusion

Quote:
In addition to what I wrote earlier, the SD series pistols take different magazines than the earlier pistols.
Sigma & SD's use the same mag. Only difference is the base pad which is cosmetic. The two are virtually identical; most notably is the front sight being dovetailed and takes M&P sights, front slide serrations, trigger finger touch pad, trigger/striker springs, & standard rail -vs- weird rail

EDIT: Not 100% sure about the diff between striker springs. I don't have a way to measure the weight diff.

Last edited by Onward Allusion; February 19, 2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old February 19, 2017, 01:27 PM   #40
ThomasT

I have had one for several years. Mine is the SW9VE. I have the only one I have ever seen that was all black. When I bought mine it cost me $325 OTD. But it came with one of the High Intensity flashlights that takes the CR123 batteries. I also got a $50 rebate and two free factory mags from S&W. So now I have a total of four mags.

It has been my truck gun for the last couple of years. The trigger on mine isn't nearly as bad as some would have you beleive. And there are trigger mods on Youtube but I don't recommend them for a carry gun since they involve removing two springs. Here is a good review of the gun from Hickock45. If this doesn't sell you on the gun then nothing will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cleMs8xmqc

Last edited by ThomasT; February 19, 2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old February 19, 2017, 03:03 PM   #41
BlueOvalFitter

If you like the SWVE & SDVE series of guns, then, you will love the SD9 & SD40.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/smit...nse-9mm-pistol

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/smit...e-40-sw-pistol
Old February 19, 2017, 04:56 PM   #42
Oysterboy

I can only speak from my experiences with my SW9VE I had. I loved the grip, it's very comfy. The trigger is wide and comfy also but it is hard.

I took the torsion spring off the trigger and made it better. I never had a misfire and it never failed to go bang. It can hold 17 rounds of 9mm.

I bought it for $300 and it was a good deal.
Old February 19, 2017, 08:10 PM   #43
BlueOvalFitter

This is the Academy Exclusive SD40. They also make the Academy Exclusive SD9.

https://youtu.be/WMbVzw2GCRs
Old February 21, 2017, 09:41 AM   #44
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward Allusion
Sigma & SD's use the same mag. Only difference is the base pad which is cosmetic.
Thanks for the info. This sort of thing is the reason I love this forum.

FWIW I had long suspected that the differences were cosmetic only, but I don't have personal experience with the SD series pistols, so I didn't want to assume so and disseminate incorrect info; there are examples of magazines that are absolute spitting images of one another, yet they aren't compatible, notably S&W 439/539/639 mags in a 3904/3906/909/952.
Old February 26, 2017, 05:46 AM   #45
roarshock

Slick guns has posted prices of $259 lately. I'm rationalizing a purchase as a cheap way to get a couple of extra magazines free. You are all welcome to use that logic. It isn't completely original... I'm learning to be aggressive on the trigger trusting the shot will break right. Funny how much better the trigger feels
Old March 17, 2017, 12:07 PM   #46
Glockgreat23

I have two of them. Yes, crappy triggers, but super reliable and have yet to jam or misfire. Very satisfied
Old March 20, 2017, 09:54 AM   #47
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

I had an SD9VE for a while as well but eventually sold it.

It just ruined my Shooting skills due to recoil anticipating and Trigger jerk. It was just too light for me and did not like the squirky Plastik. I changed it for an Beretta 92 style pistol.

After Shooting the SD9VE my Shooting skills were ruined that much I could not hit anything with my SAA Revolver.

The SD9VE funktions flawless and never had an malfunktion blamed to the gun. They are even almost imposible to limb wrist. They are as much reliable as an Glock.

For me the gun was to light, Trigger was not good and I decided to leave the whole Plastik type pistols for home defense gun. CCW can have an Plastik Frame but it must be modular. For HD I would want at least an aluminum Frame pistol.
All Metall parts of the SD9VE are very well built. Better than a Glock. But the Plastik Frame is the shabby part of the gun although I bet it will last you a life time.
For me the SD9VE is a no no since it ruined my Shooting (recoil anticipation and flinching).
Old March 21, 2017, 06:07 PM   #48
random guy

The amazing thing to me about the ancestral Sigmas is that when introduced many years ago, MSRP was $593 according to a description in American Rifleman. MSRP on a brand new M&P M2.0 today is $599 and best street prices are about $450.

In some ways at least, we are living in a good time.
Old March 21, 2017, 06:33 PM   #49
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

My guess is this:

In roughly 1970 the industry switched from all metal guns to Plastik Frame pistols.

For sure manufacturers were lucky to Charge the customer almost the same Price for a way cheaper to make gun.
Pistol Prices should rise and fall with Petroleum Prices since the Frame is Petroleum.

So no you are still overpaying the SD9VE with 300 to 400$ never to speak for the M&P which is essentially the same gun with it's Price of 500 to 600$.
You should be able to buy the SD9VE for 150$ and the M&P for 200$.

Seems we still are stuck with the Price Levels of 1950's all Metall pistols.

On the other Hand Technology has enabled to perfectionize the JM Browning breech lock design which is an easy to manufacture and the most simple and durable mechanism. It has even almost displaced the Walther falling block design.
So further pistols should be even cheaper.
Considering the thin Plastik of the SD9VE they should sell for 100$ and the M&P for 150$.
The Beretta 92 and Taurus clone should sell for max 250$ considering the Technology advances in aluminum production (which was an incredible expensive Metall during WW2 due to the lack of Technologies availlable).

Basically you should be able to pick up a very good and reliable polymer pistol for 50$ and an all Metall pistol for 100$ in the near future.

I would not be surprised if the Glock type, Beretta 92 type and 1911 type pistols had an production cost of not more than 100$ for eighter manufacturer for whatever type of pistol. The Plastik pistols may have an production cost of no more than 50$.

Last edited by TheGuyOfSouthamerica; March 21, 2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old March 21, 2017, 06:44 PM   #50
ThomasT

Quote:
For me the SD9VE is a no no since it ruined my Shooting (recoil anticipation and flinching).
Sounds like a training problem to me. I have a couple of Co2 powered airguns that shoot cheap BBs and I use those to keep in practice with. They have the same heavy triggers as the Sigma. But I have learned to make good fast groups with them. And I can practice in my back yard and nobody is bothered by them.

You can get upgrades for the trigger. There are Youtube vids showing trigger mods. I did one on my SD9VE. But instead of removing a spring I replaced it with a lighter spring. And it made a difference. But it is still a long springy feeling trigger. But I am used to it. And that gun is my truck gun. Along with a spare mag.

I just finished reading a book called "Glock, rise of the American pistol". With the way the triggers were set up on the original Glocks the pull was so light that there were several unintended firings of the gun. Some ended in accidental deaths and some with injuries to the shooter of innocent bystanders. So the New York trigger was added that gave an 8 pound pull.

My information comes from the book. I do not own a Glock so only know what I have read. If I am incorrect feel free to update me. But this is most likely why the S&W SD pistols have the trigger pull that they have. S&W has just learned from Glock.
Closed Thread