The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 4, 2017, 03:42 PM   #1
Jacket67

The Final Decision

Hey TFL,

For the past few months I've basically researched everything I possibly could about handguns. I've shot various models and taken the advice of many on this forum as well as people in my life. I've narrowed the search for my first handgun down to 2 contenders: the glock 19 and the sig sp2022. Both of these guns are great and check off many boxes of criteria. I've shot a sig and loved how it felt, I've also shot the glock 19 and was surprised how well I shot it.

I'm not truly partial to either. The sig is greatly affordable and comes with night sights. It falls a bit short in magazine price and availability, but they can be found from sig and mecgar; not a huge deal. The glock is unparalleled in aftermarket support. I believe it is a good handgun overall and very economical. I would, however, have to spend money replacing the sights because I really dislike the stock set.

I'm stuck between these two as an HD/CCW firearm. Either gun can do either role and I shoot both equally well as far as I'm concerned. My girlfriend (who I live with) doesn't like the idea of a glock. She feels it is too likely to have an ND. She is more accepting of the sig.

Though I'm very familiar with firearms and belive I practice safe handling with everything I'm handed, accidents do happen and I'm no exception to anything.

To narrow the focus of this post down, I guess what I'm asking is what you would buy if you were in my shoes. Both are in my price range, but both also have some financial advantages over the other. Both are reliable and are from great companies.

As a first time handgun buyer, would the heavy and long da first pull of the sig offer any safety advantage overy the striker fired glock? I have no problem with how either shoots.

Sorry for the long post but if you all could please chime in I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.
Old February 4, 2017, 03:46 PM   #2
JWT

Sig, Sig, Sig
Old February 4, 2017, 03:59 PM   #3
Ricklin

Glock Glock Glock

Love the 33rd mag option, and the mags are cheap. The big mag is a hoot at the range.

You might consider the Glock 23. They are showing up LE used as departments change to 9mm. A Glock 23 can be 9mm with a barrel swap. For about a hundred bucks you have two calibers in one gun. In fact three if you want to go .357 Sig. If you can field strip it you can swap the barrel.
The G19 does not have this flexibility. I'm told the .40 mags work fine for 9mm, I would also swap mags if the gun is for SD.
Old February 4, 2017, 03:59 PM   #4
Martowski

Yes, the DA pull does add to the safety aspect as the first pull is like that of a revolver. Of course, the Glock is fine but the trigger pull is definitely shorter and lighter than the SP2022.

Either is fine... it's really about personal preference. Think Ford vs. Chevy (or whatever analogy you want to reference). Personally, I like DA/SA as all-purpose firearms due to the enhanced safety when carring and also the lighter SA pull which (in my opinion) is nice at the range.

I personally prefer the SP2022 to the Glock due to grip angle and shape. I also just like the SP2022 design. I own an SP2022 (I'm actually on #2 of this model) and own a Glock 22, and greatly prefer the SP2022 (regardless of caliber).
Old February 4, 2017, 04:01 PM   #5
Martowski

BTW, you can EASILY find the SP2022 NIB w/ night sights for around $400 on gunbroker. Add in the transfer fee (usually around $25) and it's in your hands for $450 total (including shipping). Many of them are coming with two factory mags as well. Feel free to PM me if you want more insight into how to buy online if it's nothing you've done before.
Old February 4, 2017, 04:03 PM   #6
nhyrum

Yes, the long, heavy DA pull is sort of a safety. My wife refuses to carry anything that doesn't have an external safety (eg thumb safety) but the glock trigger safety is pretty good.

The best safety is between the ears.

If you have a gun that has an external safety, and don't practice in the most stressful atmosfear possible and practice hitting the safety, you're likely going to forget in the heat of the moment when it really matters.

I'm a big sig fan ever since I was little, but if I got a glock it would only be 4th gen. They're the only ones that don't make me vomit when I hold them.

P. S. Have you looked at the fn's?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old February 4, 2017, 05:07 PM   #7
Jacket67

I have looked at FN's and they seem awesome. But as for my first gun, it will be one of the two listed above.

I've had gun fever my whole life so believe me, whatever I don't buy now will be bought in the future. I won't have a lack of options.

Thanks for the input so far!!
Old February 4, 2017, 05:51 PM   #8
john in jax

Personally I would go with the one I shot best.

For me that long DA trigger pull for the first shot that everyone is touting as a safety means first shot in a crisis situation could very well be off target. I want/need pretty much the same trigger pull every single time.

Did you try any holster work? Maybe live and dry fire exercises with a laser? The longer heavier first DA pull usually wreaks havoc with accuracy of that first shot unless you put in a lot of trigger time to train for it. Don't get me wrong the Sig is a great gun, fantastic quality and engineering, but it may not be the best choice for you.

Accuracy is important and slow fire practice at the range is not an accurate predictor of how well you can put rounds on target when you are trying to scoop draw and get a couple of rounds COM as fast as possible. Can you train yourself to overcome/compensate for that initial long heavy DA, certainly. But the real question is will you?
Old February 4, 2017, 06:31 PM   #9
lee n. field

Quote:
Sorry for the long post but if you all could please chime in I'd greatly appreciate it.
Pick one. It doesn't matter that much.

On the principle of "Keep the significant other happy", get the Sig. If you decide down the line you've made a mistake, and now want something else, it should be easy to sell off.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 4, 2017, 06:37 PM   #10
Spats McGee
Staff

I can't speak to the Sig. I'm sure it's a fine weapon, but I've never fired one. Not even sure I've even held one.

That said, my one and only 9mm is a G19, and I'm very happy with it. I'm kind of a "man with one gun" kind of guy, so it's a CC/HD/SD/etc gun. I've got almost 2k rounds through it and I've had one spring break and a small handful of other failures to feed. None in about the last ~1000 rounds, though.

You can get Glocks with factory night sights, which is what I did. I don't remember what those cost, but I remember that mine were very reasonable. (Bearing in mind that I was able to buy with a discount.) There's an absolutely ridiculous amount of aftermarket support for Glocks, as you've noticed. If someone makes a widget, they make a widget for a Glock.

I suspect that you'll be happy with either one. Good luck with making this choice.
Old February 4, 2017, 06:41 PM   #11
jmhyer

All other things being equal, I would get the one my girlfriend (future spouse?) likes. This will make her feel more comfortable with it in the house and on your person. This is very important. It may also get her more interested in firearms and personal defense in general...maybe even to the point that she can claim the Sig as "hers"...which will clear the way for you to then get the Glock. There...now you have them both.
Old February 4, 2017, 07:00 PM   #12
Doc Holliday 1950

I too agonized over which pistol to buy. I only had 357 mags. Tried 5 different brands including the Sig. What it came down to was which felt the best and which one I shot the best. I finally bought the Glock19 4 gen. Buds had a package deal for it with 3 mags and Ameriglo night sights plus a speed loader for $547.00. I also was worried about a external safety but after talking to my friends and family the safety was not a consideration. Rent the 2 and shoot 50 rounds thru each. Try to use 124 grain or 147 grain ammo. It's more realistic. The rest is up to you.
Good luck.

Doc
Old February 4, 2017, 07:07 PM   #13
Brutus

Never owned a Glock just because I'm not a stricker fan. I've shot them just don't like them. I have two Sigs that I really like but I decided that a CZ PCR
fits the bill for a CCW.
Old February 4, 2017, 07:14 PM   #14
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Hi,

Do yourself a favour and get the SIG Sauer P250 instead. If you have medium to big Hands.

The P250 is an DAO hammer fired modular (fire control unit) pistol (if you dont' mind an Long Trigger pull).

On the other Hand if you have small Hands chances are no pistol is going to fit you and in that case get an Beretta 92 in 9mm Luger.
Old February 4, 2017, 07:36 PM   #15
TunnelRat

Quote:
On the other Hand if you have small Hands chances are no pistol is going to fit you and in that case get an Beretta 92 in 9mm Luger.
I would argue that in the days of backstraps, sidestraps, and modular pistols in general that there are actually a number of pistols that can be had for the American consumer that will work for those with smaller hands. I'd also argue that choosing a pistol with a rather chunky grip (as much as I do like the 92) doesn't make a lot of sense for a person with small hands and there are definitely pistols with a smaller grip circumference.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 4, 2017, 08:51 PM   #16
TailGator

There are a lot of people who think the way your girlfriend does, that a thumb safety and a long double-action first trigger pull make a gun safer. I can't say I am one of them, as I have carried a Glock for several years and never had an accident. You really have to keep your head in the game whenever you are handling any pistol. I also have DA/SA pistols with thumb safeties, and I equally disagree with the people who think there is a steep learning curve in learning to use a thumb safety and to shoot well with two different trigger pulls.

In your situation, I might opt for peace in the house, get the Sig that your lady friend prefers, and learn to use it. Buy a set of snap caps with it and you will have the hang of it in no time.

(FWIW, I am also daring enough to use scary things like power saws and lawn mowers. Dangerous man, I am.)
Old February 4, 2017, 09:01 PM   #17
turtlehead

Don't sweat the decision. This won't be the last one you buy.

And the answer to your question is PPQ. There is only PPQ.
Old February 4, 2017, 10:57 PM   #18
pblanc

Well, first of all I don't like the Glock 19 for several reasons. The finger grooves are too closely spaced to fit my hand. The combination of the grip angle and the exaggerated palm swell (Glock "hump") low down on the back strap makes the pistol point unnaturally for me, and I find the blocky grip a bit uncomfortable. The stock trigger is adequate, but uninspiring. And I agree with you that the crappy stock plastic sights are a disgrace in a pistol in this price range that has such a high profit margin for Glock.

But having said that, the Glock 19 does work for a lot of people who don't mind spending even more to immediately swap out the sights. It does have a reputation for reliability and simplicity of design. It has a very attractive size and shape for carry. Aftermarket support is huge. Magazines are cheap and widely available.

The SIG 2022 is basically a polymer frame version of the venerable, classic P226/229. The trigger action is basically the same and IMO is one of the best traditional double action (DA/SA) hammer-fired actions ever made. I own a P229. I have never owned a 2022 but have handled them and dry-fired them. The only thing I dislike about the 2022 is that the front strap on the magazine well is quite short so that a good portion of the actual grip surface on the front is made up by the magazine floor plate. That affords an acceptable grip, but greatly increases the risk of pinching your hand during a rapid magazine change. Magazines for the 2022 will be less widely available and considerably more expensive than the Glock.

The biggest functional difference between these pistols is that one is a DA/SA hammer-fired and the other a striker-fired. The Glock offers a consistent trigger pull shot to shot. A DA/SA pistol requires mastery of the first double action shot, and the subsequent DA to SA transition, which I think requires a greater period of training than for a striker-action pistol. But it sounds as if you feel you shoot both equally well.

Many will disagree, but I do feel that a hammer-fired DA/SA pistol offers greater safety against an accidental or unintentional discharge. The longer, heavier DA trigger pull requires very deliberate input on the part of the shooter. It also affords a split second more time to not fire in a tense situation, if circumstance change and do not require a shot to be taken. In addition, a hammer-fired pistol reduces the risk of a negligent discharge during holstering. The decocked hammer can be ridden with the thumb. Any foreign object entering the trigger guard which starts to result in an unrecognized trigger press will immediately be appreciated as the hammer starts to rise. It is possible to fit a "gadget" to the Glock which sort of serves the same purpose, but again we are talking about significant additional expense.

Between the G19 and the 2022 my choice would clearly be the SIG. There are striker-action pistols I would consider carrying in preference to Glocks, however, one of which is the SIG P320. The P320 compact is very comparable in size and magazine capacity to the Glock 19.
Old February 5, 2017, 12:13 AM   #19
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

If you must buy a plastik pistol do so one with an modular frame like the SIG P250 and P320.

If not chose an metall frame pistol like the Beretta 92 or SIG P226.
Old February 5, 2017, 06:31 AM   #20
Pond, James Pond

Didn't take long for the posts to wander off to models beyond the Glock and Sig!

I agree with Lee: if they are much of a muchness to you and your other half prefers the Sig, well then, get the Sig.

You may later find you want the G19 and get one for yourself, leaving the Sig for her.
Old February 5, 2017, 07:09 AM   #21
AzShooter

Get the Glock. I've had both and love the accessories available to the Glock. I was the first Glock shooter in our area buying a Glock 17L many years ago. You can do amazing things to the stock trigger. Look for YOU TUBE to get ideas.

The 19 just feels right in my hands. It balances well.
Old February 5, 2017, 09:10 AM   #22
rodfac

Quote:
A DA/SA pistol requires mastery of the first double action shot, and the subsequent DA to SA transition, which I think requires a greater period of training than for a striker-action pistol.
Yep, that's my experience too. I've spent over 50 years now as short gun user...on duty, in combat, and for recreational purposes. Tried and trained on all the basic types starting with the venerable Smith and Colt DA revolvers, through the 1911 (still my favorite grip style and shape), to the more modern Beretta 92, Glock 17, 19 & 23's, and 5 Sig DA/SA's.

Of them all, the Sigs were the hardest to transition to...initially causing two different shot placement groupings. The DA shot hitting low and the following SA shot hitting 4" higher at combat distances of 7 yds or more. While I and my experienced shooting buddies can keep the two groups together in deliberate fire; they diverge when any speed from the holster is involved. And yes, it can be corrected by training...but we've found that you really need to settle on that type of trigger alone and train exclusively with it to maintain good grouping proficiency.

I like and carry Sig's for defense (hell, I've got a M11A1 on my right hip as I type this); love their superb quality, accuracy, and great customer service...but their DA/SA triggers are a chore to master and keep proficiency with.

As to the Glocks...I don't like 'em (clunky, plastic, funny trigger feel and no 'soul')...but used one twice at Front Sight's 600 round, 4-Day Defensive Handgun Course to see what all the hoopla was about...as did my wife and a cpl of friends. We found the trigger manageable after a cpl hours of training. They were accurate (5 rounds in a postage stamp sized paster from 7 yds in a Weaver stance), and ABSOLUTELY reliable. The six guns we rented went 2400 rounds without a single malfunction during training.

The three we've owned since then have the same record. They're that good. So why do I dislike them...the grips feel like a chunk of 2x4 to me (even with the modular types), and the spongy trigger annoys me, but I shoot them well...so does my wife. I shot 'Distinguished' my first time through the FS course and won the 'Steel Challenge' shoot off too...and that's with zero time with a Glock prior to training there. For a one gun family, for CC if you can handle the grip issues and the size of the G19 of your choice, they make sense to me. BTW, the trigger/lack of a safety issues are a non-starter for me. Negligent discharges are just that...negligent. Keep you finger off the trigger until aligned with your target...train that way with ALL handguns, ALL the time...and re-holster very slowly, reluctantly may be a better term...you 'feel' the gun down into the holster, stopping for any abnormal 'feel', be it twig, shirt tail, button, what ever.

HTH"s Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old February 5, 2017, 09:24 AM   #23
g.willikers

I feel some nagging coming on.
If you haven't as yet given it much thought,
And since you said the primary reason for getting a pistol is for carry and defense,
Get training on the subject.
For both of you.
You can thank me later.
Knowing how to shoot and acquiring a carry license ain't it.
Not nearly good enough.
Nag over.
Old February 5, 2017, 09:30 AM   #24
Martowski

I know some folks have mentioned thumb safety, but niether the Glock or Sig have one so it's a non issue.

Both are fine pistols, and it comes down to picking which action type you like best and which pistiol feels best (and shoots best, if you can try them first) for you. In the end a lot of what you're seeing is debate among personal preferences and very minute details.

Again, I greatly prefer the Sig for the longer DA pull (which is very, very smooth on the SP2022) and the shorter, crisper SA pull which is nice at the range. If it keeps the girlfriend happy and might enourage her to shoot with you as well, even better.
Old February 5, 2017, 09:33 AM   #25
rodfac

G.Wilikers, very good comment. Rod
Quote:
And since you said the primary reason for getting a pistol is for carry and defense,...Get training on the subject....For both of you.
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.