The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 7, 2008, 11:32 AM   #1
shortwave

oddest(strangest)thing you`ve experienced while hunting

mine would probably be when i was deer hunting(shotgun season) a few years ago. was coming out of woods and came across this hunter sitting on a log panting so hard i could hear him before i saw him. i asked him if he was ok , he replied he was just resting,pointed to a doe he had shot and said he didn`t know deer hunting was so exhausting and that this was his 1st deer hunting trip . he also explained that he had just had a heart attack about a month prior. i asked how far he had drug the deer and he said about 1/8 mi. and had about another 1/8 to go but that it would be all uphill. as you`ve probably allready figured i told him i would give him a hand and we walked over to the doe. i looked down at deer and politely explained to him how much easier it is to drag a deer after its been field dressed. dressed deer and we started dragging.
Old May 7, 2008, 12:53 PM   #2
Bronco1957

While hunting in the upper peninsula of Michigan several years ago, I had a shot at a big whitetail doe. She put her head down, and I squeezed one off at her back, actually the base of her neck. Range, about 30 yards. That doe did a complete back flip and disappeared. I still laugh at that one. Funniest thing I have ever seen.
Old May 7, 2008, 01:53 PM   #3
ELMOUSMC

Three or four years ago during Bow season my dogs started going nuts at about 8 in the morning.I let them loose and they took off for the ridge accross from my farm,I jumped on my 4 wheeler and followed them.Up on the ridge I saw a sight that will for ever make me laugh.A bow hunter had fallen out of his tree stand,he had a safty harness but he had not put it on properly so when he fell it slipped down around his ankles.The worst part was that it had also pulled his pants and long johns down.With his arms extended he still was about afoot from touching the ground after getting control of myself I cut him down,he never spoke a word he pulled up his pants and headed down to the road and his car leaving me with a nice Bear recurve 6 carbon fiber arrows and a tree stand with a Cabelas range finder.I guess he had had enough of bow hunting ELMOUSMC
Old May 7, 2008, 02:13 PM   #4
BadVegetarian

Well, drat. I don't have any great stories yet, but there happens to be a similar thread on a local forum that's pretty damn entertaining.
Weird findings in the woods.

BV
Old May 7, 2008, 03:30 PM   #5
Deerhunter264

One dayin the middle of september i was squirel hunting down in the woods and i was sitting up against a tree and i heard a snort i look up it was a doe and her twins they were about 40 yards away then they got realy spookey and the one fawn came running throught the timber and jumped over me. I was lucky i didnt get a hoof to the head.
Old May 7, 2008, 03:39 PM   #6
45Dave

which way did he go?

My sisters former hubby was a novice hunter. Having grown up hunting I would take him out and "teach" him some things about grouse, rabbit and deer hunting. When I was 16 he announced he was going to take me to a real hot spot in Oil City, Michigan. We walked in the woods in the dark, people were whistling at me while we walked to his "hot spot". Once daylight hit there must have been 30 people surrounding a draw, all I could think of was if a deer comes there we are going to shoot each other.
I crept away to a spot that was more secluded and dozed off in a nice sunbeam. Suddenly I heard some crashing and figured a deer was getting pushed my way but no, it was some guy about 6 ft 4 running in the woods. Now he was orange head to toe, double bandera across his chest full of shotgun shells, huge bowie knife on his hip. Now I am just a scared country kid with a single shot 20 gauge with this crazy guy in the woods. He comes running up to me, stare me and says.." I'm chasing a deer, did you see which way he went?" I pointed away from the direction of the car, he nodded, thanks and take off running like heck.
At that point I carefully stand up, begin to whistle a tune, I figure these nuts will be sound shooters, and make my way to the car where I slept the rest of the day. Talk about crazy people in the woods. After that I kept in my safe little country spot away from deer chasers.
Old May 7, 2008, 03:54 PM   #7
davlandrum

My buddy and I were hunting Elk on the Oregon coast - pretty thick stuff. We hear a crash and a branch break, so spread out on each side of the draw. Hunkered down for a few minutes, crashing and breakin continues. Suddenly the sound stops. From up the draw (where the crashing is) we hear

"HEY, BLOW THAT COW CALL AND SEE IF SHE COMES BACK"

This was said loud enough to cover a country mile.

And the other guy actually did blow it...

My buddy and I just tucked back under cover and let the 2 guys pass.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old May 7, 2008, 04:12 PM   #8
tyrajam

I don't know if ELMOUSMC's will ever get topped! Too bad you didn't take a picture. The weirdest thing Iever saw was while duck hunting when I lived in Minnesota. I was hunkered in the bushes of a big lake, and as the sun rose several pike began jumping-straight up out of the water a good couple of feet, and splashing back down like a ton of bricks. This were big, arm length fish, just jumping straight up as high as they could. Never seen anything like that since and never heard from anyone else who has.
Old May 7, 2008, 04:35 PM   #9
wpcexpert

Well, mine doesn't involve crazed Rambo guys, but more of a "why we hunt". As hunters, sitting in our stands, quiet and still, we get to see a side of nature that others don't even know about.

The coolest thing that has happened to me...was in my "Humming Bird" stand. I was sitting in a lock-on in a huge Post Oak. I heard a loud buzz, like a bumble bee on steroids. Then it comes in front and it's a Humming bird, male Ruby Throat. Now I've had visits from this pair everytime I sat this stand. They seemed intrigued by my colorful arrows on the side of their tree. Thus, this why the stand was the "Humming Bird" stand. But this time I sat extra still and quiet. The humming bird danced all around my head, less than a foot away. Then he came around front and hovered at the bill of my cap. Then sat down. He was sitting on the bill of my cap, and was chirping. I had heard them chirp before from previous hunts in the stand. But that is the coolest thing that happened to me.

Shawn
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by wpcexpert; May 7, 2008 at 11:11 PM.
Old May 7, 2008, 05:58 PM   #10
Swampghost

Many years ago I was dove hunting with a newbie. We were tucked inside of a good sized hedgerow and about 100 ft. apart when this guy starts freaking about something rustling in the bushes. I told him that he had a 12ga. and that there was nothing in the area that it wouldn't handle up close. He keeps on about it getting closer so I leave my spot only to find an armadillo rooting around.

The guy later shot somebody's racing pigeon while yelling "Look at the size of that one!".

We've been hunting together for over 40 yrs. and he really hates it when I get to tell this story.
Old May 7, 2008, 05:59 PM   #11
shortwave

wpc, and people wonder why we hunt!
Old May 7, 2008, 06:55 PM   #12
Pahoo

Was standing on my tree stand platform early one morning and the sun was starting to break when I heard something coming down the trail. In short time I noticed that it was another hunter stalking to my tree. Walked all the way and stopped at the base. I really could not believe what was happening. Connected his bow to my lift line then looked up at me. I still kept quiet until he stepped on the first step. I said;
Quote:
Sure is going to get crowded up here.

Scared the crap out of him and took a few quick steps back. Looked up at me again and asked me what I was doing up there? "Trying to hunt out of my tree stand" Walked away muttering to himself.
Old May 7, 2008, 07:27 PM   #13
Lawyer Daggit

We were hunting Sambar in N Victoria- there was one old fellow who was past hunting who would come along and usually spend all his time in camp sipping tea.

We hunted unsuccessfully, on return to camp this old timer had a large stag dressed out and hanging from a tree.

It had run into the camp after we had all left and he had quietly shot it.
Old May 7, 2008, 07:53 PM   #14
Jason_G

I guess this happened when I was about 14:

Shot a squirrel with the very last shell I had on me. Squirrel fell from the tree, and appeared to be good 'n dead... wrong.

Squirrel ran around and around a sapling with me chasing it- so here I am chasing a squirrel in a circle around a tree over and over and over. He never changed direction, and never once tried to go up the tree. He just kept on running, slightly faster than me, around this dang tree. This went on for well over a minute. All I could think of was that kids' nursery rhyme about "here we go 'round the mulberry bush".

I finally stepped out of the little circle we were running, waited on him to come by me, and planted a well timed boot on him. I didn't think I was going to get him in the bag. Looked like something off a Bugs Bunny cartoon. My dad walked up on me and was laughing so hard he about wet himself. He had seen the whole thing. He still finds opportune times to embarrass me with that one. It was pretty funny though, I was laughin' at myself while it was happening. Just one of those weird things.

Jason
Old May 7, 2008, 07:56 PM   #15
Kreyzhorse

Hunting antelope out west. My buddy puts a stalk on two bucks, one with great cutters and another one without much of a rack at all. As he belly crawls to the hill top they are on, the big boy gets wise and runs off. The small buck stays. My buddy pops his head up, sees an antelope and and shoots thinking its the big one. He was pretty disgusted when he realized what he did but done was done and our party was out of buck tags. The next day, cruising for does, we returned to the same area and the big buck was standing about 10 yards off the roadway not a care in the world. We stopped the truck and yell out the window "Next year, we'll be back for you."

After a few minutes of watching him we drove off and the antelope took off staying dead even with our truck. At 20 mph he was dead even with us. 30, 35, 40, 45 mph and that antelope stayed right with us. We goosed it up to over 50 mph, flying down a hard pack road bed and that antelope stayed right with us. He never looked over and never veered from us. I swear that antelop could have hit 60 without breaking a sweat. As the road finally took a 90 degree turn, we backed off and the antelope did too and he wondered off into the hills.

I had heard that antelope will race cars on occasion, but if I didn't know any better, I'd swear that he was giving my buddy the middle finger as he raced along side us!
Old May 7, 2008, 08:01 PM   #16
L_Killkenny

Thankgiving Morning - 8 or 9 years ago.

I went to a public hunting timber for a morning squirel hunt. The timber is also frequented by hikers and mountain bikers . Temp was around 35 deg. I had been still hunting for a couple of hours and was quietly walking back to the truck on 1 of the main hiking trails. I round a corner and low and behold I find a pile of clothes in the middle of the trail. I look ahead and about 50 yards out I see a completely naked man speed walking away from me. At first I thought he still had his underwear on because his butt was SO SO WHITE. I decided to call the sheriff but my cell phone had no signal in the vally. I hauled butt up the hill and called the sheriff. I think the dispatcher thought I was nuts but took down a location for me to meet a deputy and sent one out. On the way to meet the deputy I had to walk down the trail that the clothes had been one but they were gone. I continue down the trail and about 1/8 mile from where I'm suppose to meet the deputy I see the man talking his clothes off again and he takes off naked down another trail. I made it to the meeting location and 2 deputies pull up about the same time. I tell them the story and together we walk back to the last location. Clothes and man were gone. We get back to the cars and I give they a discription of the man. I think they too thought I was nuts until one of the deputies notices a car parked a couple hundred yards away and goes down and runs the plates. The plates came back to a man with a dead nuts match for my discription. My truck was about a mile away so I headed off. I have no idea if they ever talked to the guy or not. The only advice they had for me.......next time, take the clothes!

LK

BTW: this is Iowa not CA!!!
Old May 7, 2008, 08:19 PM   #17
bushidomosquito

You can't make this stuff up.

An old BBQ grill with a horned lizard hanging from the handle by a perfectly tied little noose right next to a tree with about 20 dead turtles nailed to it. They were in various states of decay so the turtle nailer had been at it for quite some time. And we don't have horned lizards in Missouri so I guess it was either someones pet or perhaps brought in for this special purpose.

I was only a little kid and told my granpa about it and he went and checked it out. The story spread through my whole family and whenever I acted up my mother threatened to send me to go live with the turtle nailer.

"Bush is listening, use big words."
Old May 7, 2008, 10:47 PM   #18
JP Sarte

Hunting in Trimble County, Kentucky a friend of mine took a shot at a small six pointer and shortly after the deer hit a large tree and dropped like a stone. We looked for what must have been an hour and never found an entry or exit wound. This after it was hung and skinned. All we can figure is that the deer broke its neck when it hit the tree.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

JP
Old May 7, 2008, 11:12 PM   #19
RedneckFur

Strangest (and worst) thing I ever ever saw in the woods happend when i was about 14 years old. In our hunting club, most hunters would go into their stands before dawn, hunt till early afternoon, come out of the woods for lunch at the camp, and then go back and hunt till dusk.

One particular day and older gentleman didnt come out around lunch time. A few of the guys were concerned, but the old man was known to fall asleep in his stand every now and then. It was about 3pm when his voice was heard on a CB radio in another hunters truck.

The old hunter was climbing an old, home built wooden stand early that morning. Halfway up, a step broke, and he fell from the stand. When he landed, he broke his leg very bady. His foot was right below his knee and his two lower leg bones had come out of his thigh and through his pants.

This was before cell phones, so the only way he was able to call for help was to spend all morning crawling to his truck to get to the CB radio. My father and a few other hunters dressed his leg as best as they could while somone drove out to the closest house to call an ambulance. It was a very scary thing for me to see at the time, and even to this day, I will NOT climb a wooden tree stand.

The good news is the older man healed up just fine, and walks without a cane. I still see him from time to time, and he still hunts the same area, but now he has a ground blind.

Another odd thing, but unrelated is the very next day I fell off my bike on the highway and broke my left arm. Me and the older gentleman had a good laugh the next weekend when we both showed up to hunting camp with casts.
Old May 7, 2008, 11:21 PM   #20
fisherman66

While quail hunting we had a German Shorthair catch a rattle snake bite on the nose. He blew out copious amounts of blood. It seems the single fang that caught went into the sinus cavity and ejected it's poison there and it was blown out with all the blood. The dog never showed any signs of illness and was hunting the next day.
Old May 7, 2008, 11:43 PM   #21
williamd

Having a grizzly start eating on a black bear that we'd just killed! Ever pack out a black and grizzly green hide! Ugh! Over hill and dale, several miles from base camp! More fun now then it was then!
Old May 7, 2008, 11:54 PM   #22
Yithian

Mines odd because of what I didn't do.
I didn't shoot them.

Last January, ATTT and I went hunting with a few guys from out of town.
ATTT took us to his secret "hidey hole".
The guest hunters took one side of the field, about 40 yards away, on the other side of a stand of oak trees, and we took the other.
We were supposed to be hunting pigs, even tho it was still deer season.
We had layed out corn on both sides and proceeded to wait.
ATTT got tired and fell asleep on the ground under his tree stand.
Eventually, I walked out into the field to get a better look at the fenceline.
Loe and behold a doe crawls out and under the barbed wire fence.
Then another.
Each about 120 Lbs.
I was only about 30 yards from that part of the fence.
I start squawking for ATTT.
The deer didn't spook.
ATTT didn't do much but snore.
I even whistled, ATTT snored.
A buck materialized from nothing in my binocs.
So, there I am standing in the open air of a mowed over wheat field, less than 30 yards from two does and a 6 pt. buck, and ATTT is half way between me and them.
I gave up hooting at ATTT and just watched them stamp at me, one at a time, depending whos turn it was to watch me...
and my rifle slung over my shoulder.

Eventually the guest hunters decided to check on what the heck I was doing making so much noise.
Them rustling thru the underbrush of oaks scared off the deer.
They did see them tho. So, I had witnesses.
That is my Fav hunting trip so far.
Has nothing to do with killing an animal. Just being there made the event a sweet memory.
Old May 8, 2008, 02:30 AM   #23
gadgetguy1288

i think i can say that the scariest thing to ever happen to me was in the ocala national forest 2 years ago, i got up in my tree stand about 30 mins before daybreak, and i sat there pretty much uselessly until about 1030 when i hear a bunch of rustling and crashing coming from the brush behind me. i sat there and listened to it for about 15mins waiting for something to appear, when out of nowhere a small blk bear comes barreling straight for the tree im 30 ft up in. i started trying to shoo him away and it did nothing but make him curious apparently cuz he walked over to the tree and started climbing it! he got to with in about 10 feet of me and finally backed down rather quickly and ran off. needless to say i waited a good while before finally climbing down, becuz altho i had a Remington 30-06 with me, i really didnt want to have to explain why i shot a bear to the game wardens :-\

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government, or in the case of a zombie outbreak."
Old May 8, 2008, 05:16 AM   #24
fbrown333@suddenlink

hunt

I was hunting one year in Alabama when this squirel crawls down the tree i'm in, walks out the limb about a foot above my head, jumps to the next tree and precedes to eat on a pine cone. Since I was deer hunting I let him be and just watched him eat. He then heads off down the draw and diapears. about five minutes later he starts to raise one hell of a fuss and as I look around I see a bobcat walking out of the bottom straight towards the tree i'm in. He gets to the base and starts to climb up and thats as far as he got, I didn't let him get any closer
Old May 8, 2008, 09:29 AM   #25
Gbro

While Deer hunting 15 years ago, sitting in a cedar tree on a small pice of Hi-ground I could here something coming towards me. It was a calm sunny morning, lots of small critters to watch. This animal that was approaching didn't break stride and I couldn't figure what it was, I didn't think it was a deer, or man. As the noise got closer all the small critter activity's ceased leaving only one sound.
The thick alders where the sound was coming from opened up about 25 yards in front of me, one could see a mouse 50 feet away.
The sound of that animal came out of the thick alders and proceeded right towards the tree i was in. There was nothing there! just the sound of a walking animal. Then the sound stopped. I looked up and a beautiful black timber wolf was stopped just 50-60 ft in front of me. We stared for a while, and when I moved he bolted.
i have pondered this experience ever since, and probably wrote about it on this forum in the past or THR
I am at a loss for how better to describe this unbelievable experience.
No, Never did drugs. Almost wish I could blame it on something like that