The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 17, 2005, 03:47 PM   #51
joab

Quote:
Shooting a gun isn't an art, because millions of people all over the world can shoot just as good as anybody on this site.
You are aware that there are championship shooters here aren't you.
I'll agree that millions can shoot as well as many if not most here while standing on the firing line.
But the numbers drop significantly when you take them off the ACed range and compare their defensive skills to those here who have actually studied combat tactics at schools such as ThunderRanch, where they teach martial arts gunfighting skills to cops and such

Quote:
By that logic then stabbing someone with a knife is a martial art.
No, Hank, but training to be proficient enough to be able to competently use that knife in a combat type situation would be
Google Tulisan
Quote:
A art is something that few can do well.
Could you source that definition please

Quote:
Unless you're shooting advils in mid air with a arrow or something to the extreme martial arts strictly refer to hand to hand combat.
Then please explain nunchuks, kama, nunte, bo, sai, nagina ta,tonfa, yari, jo katana, and tanto ( and that's just in empty handed karate)
Old August 17, 2005, 03:54 PM   #52
Redworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt111gr
By that logic then stabbing someone with a knife is a martial art.
No, by that logic a fighting system that teaches knife fighting techniques to increase the proficiency and safety of someone in a knife fight is a martial art. There are a variety of martial arts that include knife fighting as well as sword fighting, stick fighting, fighting with farm tools, even using a simple length of rope or a belt as a weapon.
Old August 17, 2005, 07:46 PM   #53
XavierBreath

How about retreat as a martial art?
As in combat with troops, what our military calls a "tactical withdrawal".

Because it takes a great deal of skill among the leadership to prevent reversing troop movements from being over run by the enemy (there is a system), would not retreat be considered a martial art?

Old August 17, 2005, 08:43 PM   #54
308Enfield

I guess I'll join in on the discussion here. As more than one of my martial arts instructors have said, "the best martial art is track." Basically, you can't lose a fight if the BG doesn't catch you. As far as the practicality of martial arts, I'll be the first to admit that there's a lot of useless stuff being taught by belt factories out there. At the same time, GOOD martial arts are a good thing. Even if you don't subscribe to their use as fighting techniques, they at least condition your body to functioning with adrenaline, taking blows, and reacting to an opponent's movements.

I think going to a gun is just the maximum elevation of force in a fight. Escalation of force is a funny thing under the law, if somebody shoved me, I think I would have trouble defending myself in a court of law for breaking some of their ribs or dislocating a joint. At the same time, once they bring a weapon into play, its a deadly force situation.

This post has gotten longer than I intended. I guess my point is that if you can, run first, then fight at the level you have to to protect yourself and/or the people with you.
Old August 17, 2005, 09:13 PM   #55
joab

Quote:
Save the face for stomping on (with boots) after you get him down.
That would be a felonious assault with a deadly weapon.
You can beat them into submission not into a coma
Old August 18, 2005, 11:04 AM   #56
chorlton

On the other hand, a broken nose is very effective at giving you time to get away. When you're out of options, strike hard, strike fast and get out. You may not get a second shot.