The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 1, 2019, 03:25 PM   #1
kilotanker22

Redding Dies

So today I went to buy a set of dies for my 6.5 Creedmoor. I normally use RCBS dies, but the LGS did not have any. All he had were Redding dies for that caliber. They were $10 more, but they seem to be made very well. In fact I think their adjustment screws are better.

Overall I think I like the Redding dies very well.

You guys think that the Redding dies are worth the extra coin for future purchases?
Old February 1, 2019, 03:28 PM   #2
std7mag

Nope...

I've found no real advantage over one die maker to the next.
They all do the same thing.

Love auctions and flea markets.. Lol

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old February 1, 2019, 04:03 PM   #3
hounddawg

I like the Redding S bushing dies for FL sizing, never much if any runout, but a RCBS body die and a Lee Collet neck die does just as well. I have a pair of RCBS X dies that do a good job also. I'm with std7mag, pick the color you like best they all work or they would be out of business pretty fast these days
Old February 1, 2019, 06:29 PM   #4
jaguarxk120

As 7mag has said "They all do the same thing".

He must feel the same way about guns -- they all do the same thing.
So the $166 pump gun is just as good as a Browning BPS!

I will pick the Redding dies before all others, second is RCBS. I like
the quality and finish of those dies.
Old February 1, 2019, 06:43 PM   #5
sevt_chevelle

Redding is my go to standard.
Old February 1, 2019, 06:55 PM   #6
LeverGunFan

I look at two characteristics of dies, how well they do their job and how easy they are to use to make accurate ammunition. I tend to use Redding dies when I want to be a little more accurate, I find the bushing dies and micrometer seating dies to be easier to adjust than the other dies I own.
Old February 1, 2019, 07:03 PM   #7
std7mag

The pointy end of the bullet comes out of the thingy where the hole is. Right Jaguar? Lol
I've seen my wife out shoot guys to 600 yards with her Rossi R243 that i got used for $150.
The guys had close to $6K in each of their rifles.
So, yeah.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old February 1, 2019, 07:26 PM   #8
zeke

Redding s dies and especially the comp seating die (even without the micrometer adj). The comp seater is expensive, while the foerster is better deal. The RCBS comp seater does not provide the same benefit.

Either way, a good comp seater is well worth it imo.
Old February 1, 2019, 07:27 PM   #9
hounddawg

I saw a off the shelf Ruger precision rifle using factory ammo shoot a 594 aggregate last spring in a 300 yard match. There were some Pelican cases at that match that cost more than that fellas rifle

Like I said I love the S dies for the bushings, but any other brand of bushing dies would probably give the same results. Or just use a Lee collet neck die and FL resize every third firing

Last edited by hounddawg; February 2, 2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old February 1, 2019, 09:32 PM   #10
reynolds357

I like Redding bushing dies, but in non competition dies, they all seem about equal to me. With the exception if Lee which is functional but rough.
Old February 2, 2019, 11:32 AM   #11
F. Guffey

Quote:
You guys think that the Redding dies are worth the extra coin for future purchases?
I have C&H/El Monte dies in fiber boxes, I also have Herter dies in fiber boxes: the age and design of the box has nothing to do with my perception of the dies. I can measure the ability of the die to return the case to minimum length/ full length size. A case when sized in a 30/06 die should have .125" case head protrusion from the die if the shell holder has a deck height of .125". And then there is 'verifying' the die.

A reloader should be able to verify the chamber length from the shoulder/datum to the bolt face. It seems most reloaders believe measuring the length of the chamber is something others do. I find measuring the length of the chamber is the easiest method and or technique.

F. Guffey
Old February 2, 2019, 06:49 PM   #12
RC20

Zeke: What makes you feel that the RCBS comp does not work?

I have both Forster and the RCBS, both work, the RCBS is more convenient with the side slot for the bullet. The holder seems to work the same and it does both 06 and 308 which the Forster is specific for.

Redding has been listed as a go to by some I respect, I am good with RCBS but alwyas intersted.
Old February 2, 2019, 07:12 PM   #13
zeke

RC20-Wasn't trying to imply they didn't work, but as usual am not explaining enough. The RCBS is more convenient to place the bullet in the die. However the main benefit i get from the comp dies are seating bullets without noticeable wobble. In highly unscientific testing with the one caliber (6.5x55) that i bought the RCBS comp seater, it did not seat the bullets tried as concentric as the Redding die bought afterward. Granted this test did not include multiple calibers, types of brass, bullets, sd or es. And the test for concentricticity (made up word?) involved rolling the round on piece of flat surfaced marble. There was noticeable wobble with the bullets seated with the RCBS, followed by the noticeably better Foerster, which was closely followed by the Redding (no discernible wobble).

However you are right, different people may have differing purposes or experiences. The tolerances on the RCBS appeared looser.

Last edited by zeke; February 2, 2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old February 2, 2019, 07:14 PM   #14
hounddawg

I like the RCBS seaters myself, I have on in .223. Less piched fingers. I was disappointed they did not have a off the shelf one for 6.0 CM. I went with Forster instead, it was on sale and I have one in .308 that works well. Sidenote is that I use the .308 to seat my .260 Rem bullets and get less than .001 avg runout numbers
Old February 2, 2019, 08:17 PM   #15
Troy800

All mine are Redding. I use the FL sizing die and Compitition Seating Die. I also use the carbide sizing button for neck sizing. I have had great success with them. I can't compair them to others because Redding is all I have used. No reason to change.
Old February 2, 2019, 08:26 PM   #16
TX Nimrod

Redding dies are better designed and better finished - and I’ve never had to return a set due to faulty workmanship. Can’t say that about RCBS dies.....

Old February 2, 2019, 09:11 PM   #17
hounddawg

Quote:
Redding dies are better designed and better finished
I never paid much attention but just looked and you are right. On the sizing dies the knurling is more crisp and the lettering is sharper. A noticeable difference in fit and finished if you look close
Old February 3, 2019, 12:46 AM   #18
disseminator

Redding Dies are definitely worth the price, though I tend to favor Forster for rifle reloading. Dillon and RCBS for Pistols.
Old February 3, 2019, 06:56 AM   #19
zeke

Would add that am not brand loyal. Differing makers have certain features/attributes of specific dies that i prefer. As an example prefer the Redding comp seater, RCBS sb dies and Lee sizer dies for standard lever action calibers.
Old February 3, 2019, 09:12 AM   #20
gojones

I use RCBS for SB dies, Redding for pistol and revolver in my progressive press and Forster for rifle in my single stage press. Not saying one brand is better than any other. This is just my preference.
Old February 3, 2019, 10:43 AM   #21
F. Guffey

A reloader/shooter just west of Ft. Worth was interested in case forming cases for his model 99 Japanese rifle. He received more responses that claimed 'it could not be done' or 'should not be done' so I contacted him off line.

I formed 80 cases. I saved a few for the purpose of having a way to measure the cases just in case I made a mistake.

I formed 20 cases that I labeled, full length sized, I formed 20cases I labeled go-gage length, I formed 20 cases I labeled field reject length and then shipped the cases. By the time he got back to me we were at the Market Hall gun show. the full length/minimum length cases required nothing meaning he loaded the cases and then fired them. The go-gage length cases did not require anything but loading, The no go-gage length cases required sizing, the same for the field reject length cases plus trimming.

By that time he had fired most of the cases 3 times.

I formed the cases from 30/06 cases, I used a 308 W forming die to shorten the length of the case from the shoulder to the case head and; no, the shoulder did not move back in the forming process. After forming I used an old Herter sizing die.

He did not know the length of the chamber from the shoulder to the bolt face; that is the reason I sent him cases that matched the length of gages as in go, no, beyond and way out there. We decided his chamber was go-gage length.

And? I never noticed if the die was pretty, or felt good to the touch or shined; I do know the 308 Forming die was a very good investment.

F. Guffey
Old February 3, 2019, 11:06 AM   #22
TX Nimrod

Quote:
...I never noticed if the die was pretty or felt good...
Good for you son, I’m glad they worked well for you. And I do get the ‘function over form’ thing. That said, some folks pay more attention to details, some are more tactile, and some folks take pride in their tools. Some folks use Black and Decker cordless drills, some prefer Bosch drills. You can defend yourself just fine with either a Hi-Point 9mm carbine or an AR-15 9mm carbine, they both work well. To each his own.

Old February 3, 2019, 12:16 PM   #23
F. Guffey

Quote:
Good for you son, I’m glad they worked well for you. And I do get the ‘function over form’ thing. That said, some folks pay more attention to details, some are more tactile, and some folks take pride in their tools. Some folks use Black and Decker cordless drills, some prefer Bosch drills.
TX Nimrod, thank you. And then there are those that purchase the finest of tools without knowing how the tool functions; many reloaders insit the shell holder brand must match the die brand. I verify the die, I verify the shell holder; It is written on the bottom of the counter display box for C&H dies from the mid 60; that goes back to the time they were in El Monte, California.

It is on the bottom of the box: Use these dies with a shell holder that has a height of .125". It is not written: We recommend you match these C&H dies with a C&H shell holder or we recommend you uses these dies with out shell holder.

F. Guffey
Old February 3, 2019, 12:48 PM   #24
RC20

Quote:
RC20-Wasn't trying to imply they didn't work, but as usual am not explaining enough. The RCBS is more convenient to place the bullet in the die. However the main benefit i get from the comp dies are seating bullets without noticeable wobble. In highly unscientific testing with the one caliber (6.5x55) that i bought the RCBS comp seater, it did not seat the bullets tried as concentric as the Redding die bought afterward. Granted this test did not include multiple calibers, types of brass, bullets, sd or es. And the test for concentricticity (made up word?) involved rolling the round on piece of flat surfaced marble. There was noticeable wobble with the bullets seated with the RCBS, followed by the noticeably better Foerster, which was closely followed by the Redding (no discernible wobble).
That is fair, NO way we can do all tests, works for me as a considered take.
Old February 3, 2019, 01:44 PM   #25
Metal god

Quote:
The pointy end of the bullet comes out of the thingy where the hole is. Right Jaguar? Lol
I've seen my wife out shoot guys to 600 yards with her Rossi R243 that i got used for $150.
The guys had close to $6K in each of their rifles.
So, yeah.
C-mon now , I think we all know that's the exception and not the rule . I used to out shoot guys with my Ruger American ( first gen ) and $35 Tasco scope . That was more about me and them then the equipment we were using .

Lee makes a fine die but they're not the same as Redding or Forster . Don't get me wrong I get your general point . apples to apples best vs best and standard vs standard there's likely not a whole lot of difference between Redding , RCBS , Forster etc .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .