The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 30, 2017, 07:36 PM   #1
chasep255

New Pedersoli Volunteer, can't remove nipple.

I just picked up my new pedersoli 1860 volunteer rifle. When I tried to remove the nipple from the rifle it would not budge. The rifle has a clean out screw which leads me to believe that the nipple is not supposed to be removed. Is this true? If so how can I change the nipple when it burns out?
Old November 30, 2017, 08:23 PM   #2
Pahoo

Tell us more ???

Quote:
The rifle has a clean out screw which leads me to believe that the nipple is not supposed to be removed. Is this true?
You have not mentioned if the rifle is new, new to you or used. If it's new, then you may be right. If it's used, What is the general condition of the rifle, especially the bore. Why not give Pedersoli a call and see if they can give you some assist. By the way, that is a fine looking rifle...

Generally speaking, the clean out screw is independent of the nipple. You should be able to remove the nipple and on this one, I would not try and remove the clean out screw. In fact, I wish they did not exist as they are not user friendly. So, back to the nipple, my SWAG on this is that it is stuck and rusty. I once encountered a nipple that touched the clean out screw and buggered the threads a little. Nipples get buggered, hammered, plugged and stuck but have never seen one burn out. .....

Will take some patience and time but a stuck nipple can be removed. ....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; November 30, 2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old November 30, 2017, 08:42 PM   #3
mehavey

The nipple must come out as part of every firing/cleaning cycle (Ditto cleanout screw for me -- no problemmo with correct screwdriver -- or replace with an 8-32 hex socket head screw.

- What are you using as a nipple wrench ?
- Have you pulled the cleanout screw ?
- Have you put penetrating oil on top and bottom (via cleanout vent) of the nipple/let sit overnight ?

When you get it all straightened out, put oil/CLP/small amount of anti-seize on both the nipple and cleanout screw threads before every firing. Remove/clean ASAP afterwards so fouling residue doesn't turn into concrete on the threads.

Last edited by mehavey; November 30, 2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old November 30, 2017, 09:30 PM   #4
chasep255

It is brand new gun. I did remove the clean out screw. I am using a nipple wrench to try to remove it. I think I will just bring it to a gunsmith tomorrow since I also just managed to get the ramrod stuck in the bore. I figured I could use it like a cleaning jag however once I got it all the way down I can't pull it out. Won't try that again. I feel like 2/3 of the issues I have with guns involve something getting stuck.
Old November 30, 2017, 11:51 PM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
The nipple must come out as part of every firing/cleaning cycle
Why?
Old December 1, 2017, 07:08 AM   #6
mehavey

Quote:
The nipple must come out as part of every firing/cleaning cycle
Quote:
Why?
If it doesn't.... it soon won't.
At least that's what 43 years of BP (7 w/ the N-SSA) has taught me (school of really hard knocks) as basic req'd maintenance.

The OP may make his own mind up there ....
(of course, AC Baird never cleaned anything.... but he had a special relationship w/ God)

Quote:
ramrod stuck in the bore....
If it's stuck w/ a patch on it, a pair of vise grips and two guys pulling opposite ways should take care of it.
After that, get/use one of these for cleaning:
http://winchestersutler.com/ShotLoad.html#MCROD

Last edited by mehavey; December 1, 2017 at 07:25 AM.
Old December 1, 2017, 08:04 AM   #7
iac

1- squirt some wd40 or similar stuff into the threads, let it soak, then heat it up with a heat gun/hairdryer to loosen.
2-Grease the threads before replacing & don't torque it down.
Old December 1, 2017, 08:48 AM   #8
Smoke & Recoil

For the ramrod...liquid soap and a little water down the bore, than with little
pumping actions, work the ramrod. The solution acts as a lubricant. POOF, done.
Old December 1, 2017, 11:32 AM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
If it doesn't.... it soon won't.
At least that's what 43 years of BP (7 w/ the N-SSA) has taught me (school of really hard knocks) as basic req'd maintenance.
I have removed two nipples since 1969. Both of them on the same rifle. IIRC I bought the gun new in 1980. Around 85 I fell for the hype and put a Hot Shot nipple in it that didn't last 10 years so I took it back out and put the original back in. I have a revolver made in 1969 that's never had them removed.
Old December 1, 2017, 11:33 AM   #10
Pahoo

Stick with it and enjoy

Quote:
I also just managed to get the ramrod stuck in the bore. I figured I could use it like a cleaning jag however once I got it all the way down I can't pull it out.
Sounds like you inserted a dry patch down the bore and this has gotten folks in trouble, more than once. Even on a clean bore, I always lube the patch. I kind of learned this the hard way. .....
Quote:
Smoke & Recoil
For the ramrod...liquid soap and a little water down the bore, than with little
pumping actions, work the ramrod. The solution acts as a lubricant. POOF, done
Good advice and let it soak a bit. Wooden RamRods and good for pushing and pulling but not for twisting as this too might present and unpleasant surprise. ....
Quote:
The nipple must come out as part of every firing/cleaning cycle (Ditto cleanout screw for me -- no problemmo with correct screwdriver -- or replace with an 8-32 hex socket head screw.
This is a personable cleaning technique but the important point, is that a nipple "must" be removable. Personally, I do not remove it "every" time but my shot-string and cleaning technique lets me get by with it. If my M/L is going into long term storage, I pull, clean and protect the nipple. Now that you pulled the "new" cleanout, make sure to protect the threads when you reinstall. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old December 1, 2017, 12:56 PM   #11
Model12Win

The nipple should most certainly come off. Soak it with penetrating oil like liquid wrench overnight, then try it.

Do you cast bullets for the gun? From my understanding they take conicls. Very interesting rifle, I bet it'll be really accurate and fun.
Old December 3, 2017, 09:20 PM   #12
bedbugbilly

Everyone has their own ways . . but it really isn't necessary to remove the nipple and clean out screw each time. When you do remove it, smear a slight dab of anti-seize on the threads.

I've been shooting for 55 years and shot N-SSA for a long time qs well - I've shot many original as well as reproduction rifled muskets as well as RB rifles nd smoothbores. A barrel on a rifled musket is fairly easy to remove - remove the ting screw and barrel ands. Stick the barrel breech in a bucket of hot soapy water, use a tight patch to draw water into the bore and then dry path and warm entire barrel with a hair dryer. Oil the bore and if you are OCD, put a drop of oil around the nipple and into it. The next time you go to shoot, dry patch the bore and snap a couple of musket caps to drive out and burn any oil in the nipple. An Ampco nipple won't rust. Removing the nipple and clean out screw each time only causes exellexessive wear on them and wear to the screw slot nd nipple shoulders. It's fine to do it every once in a while when doing a thorough cleaning.

I've put tens of thousands of rounds down rifled muskets and never had an issue.

On your Volunteer rifle - I'm assuming that you are using a square should musket nipple. If you don't have a good "box musket nipple wrench" - pick one up. It was probably put in at the factory by Egor, who used to work for Pietta and Uberti who used to reef on the screws. That and tight thread tolerances are probably the culprit. Put some penetrating oil on it and let it sit for a day or so. If you can't get it out, you may have to take it to a gunsmith who can clamp the barrel securely and have the right nipple wrenches to get it out. Breech plugs on military muskets and rifled muskets usually remove fairly easily as well. If you pull your breech plug at some point, it's a good idea to put a little anti-seize compound on the threads as well - makes it easier when you have to remove again.

Nipples can be troublesome at times but you'll get yours out - just take your time. For some reason, many of the reproductions seem to have had their nipples reefed on at the factory. When nipples are installed, they should be
snugged down but it isn't necessary to put a breaker bar on the wrench. If snugged down tightly with a standard nipple wrench, they aren't going to go anywhere.

Good luck!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 5, 2017, 06:34 AM   #13
chasep255

I just brought it to the gunsmith and he was able to torque off the nipple. He also had to pop the breech plug to get the rod out. It was not a big deal since the gun was clean. I always get a little nervous with muzzle loaders since if it get something stuck when it is dirty I won't be able to clean it out and it will rust.
Old December 5, 2017, 01:00 PM   #14
Model12Win

How did you get the ramrod stuck?

I always use a relatively loose cleaning patch and lick it first. This comes from experience of also getting a stuck rod.
Old December 5, 2017, 03:02 PM   #15
chasep255

I didn't have a proper cleaning jag yet fro 45 cal and I wanted to swab the factory grease out of the bore. I figured I could use the ramrod tip and the worst that could happen was the patch coming loose in which case I have a patch worm. Turns out that the patch goes in real easy but won't let you pull the rod out. Also I had it almost all the way in so I could not get a good grip to really pull it.
Old December 5, 2017, 06:42 PM   #16
Hawg

I wouldn't be removing the breech plug too many times. It can get to where it wont be lined up when it's tight. There's other ways of removing stuck patches.
Old December 5, 2017, 08:12 PM   #17
Pahoo

Luck that it was a new M/L

Quote:
I wouldn't be removing the breech plug too many times. It can get to where it wont be lined up when it's tight. There's other ways of removing stuck patches.
Good advice and it's fortunate that this is a new rifle. I have removed a variety of stuck "stuff" from M/L bores. one of which was a rust froze, broken rod. Took me four different tries but got the mess out and it was nasty. The bore even clean up fairly well and turned it into a piece of just to a shooter that took a deer this year..

If you have a new M/L, you can get away with removing breech plugs and clean-out screws. Really taking chances on used "M/L's. ....

Be Safe !!!

Tags
pedersoli nipple