The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old July 29, 2011, 11:14 AM   #1
sig1

CCW, 1 in chamber?

We were talking at work and a guy told me when he carries he doesnt have a round in the chamber, when i took my ccw class the instructor told us if we are carrying we better have a round in the chamber, this makes more sense to me, if you are in a sitution that you need to use it there isnt time to rack one in and there are also to many things that can go wrong when your trying to hurry to get one in, what are your thoughts on this, im sure there are some threads on here covering this already but i didnt come up with any.
Old July 29, 2011, 11:22 AM   #2
Microgunner

always
Old July 29, 2011, 11:25 AM   #3
Maxem0815

Sounds like your coworker is looking to become a victim or a statistic. No way in hell he can draw chamber and fire in the time it takes to get shot by the bad guy. Of course if he has a D/A revolver it dose not count but any auto loader bad choice.

Mace
Old July 29, 2011, 11:28 AM   #4
zombieslayer

I know a few like that. I dont understand the logic (or lack thereof).
Old July 29, 2011, 11:28 AM   #5
Skadoosh

Physical attacks that require deadly force to counter often come quickly and without warning. An empty chamber is one more step in making one ready to combat the threat in an already compressed timeline.
Old July 29, 2011, 11:33 AM   #6
SauerJackson

There are a few recent threads on this subject.
But to answer your Q, to me the only choice other than to carry with a loaded chamber is to leave it at home. Anything less is just a liability IMO.
I knew a few guys that felt the same way your buddy does. One explained to me that he believed pulling it out and racking the slide gave hypothetical BG one last chance to see that he meant business...... I countered by telling him if it is a face to face confrontation that escalates into gun play, he's probably going to have an extended visit in the state pen and wish he were dead anyway. Also, that's assuming your not completely blindsided! It's like they say; I don't intend to need my gun, but if I do you better believe I'm going to need it in a hurry!

Last edited by SauerJackson; July 29, 2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old July 29, 2011, 11:35 AM   #7
sig1

thanks for the input, he has a ruger lcp .380 he carries it in his pocket, ill show him the responses i have gotten, maybe that will change his mind.
Old July 29, 2011, 11:38 AM   #8
SauerJackson

And most instructors I've heard from will tell you that a typical self defense engagement happens within 25ft. And MOST people, civilian or otherwise, CANNOT BEAT THE RUSH OF AN ATTACKER, DRAW AND FIRE WITHIN 20FT! Personally I'm never going to assume I'm that good......
Old July 29, 2011, 11:40 AM   #9
Skadoosh

Quote:
One explained to me that he believed pulling it out and racking the slide gave hypothetical BG one last chance to see that he meant business...... I countered by telling him if it is a face to face confrontation that escalates into gun play, he's probably go have an extended visit in the state pen and wish he were dead anyway.
Huh?
Old July 29, 2011, 11:43 AM   #10
SauerJackson

Sorry if that's poorly worded Skadoosh. But I was trying to say that if you actually have time to rack it, it probably didn't need to escalate into a shooting in the first place.
Old July 29, 2011, 11:49 AM   #11
AustinTX

Here's a five-page thread on this subject: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457025.
Old July 29, 2011, 11:52 AM   #12
GONIF

I never even thought about carrying without one in the chamber .
Old July 29, 2011, 12:00 PM   #13
BlueTrain

Thinking over the various threads on this subject here, I'm sure I couldn't possibly draw and fire a shot in time no matter what and as for pocket carry, I doubt I wouldn't even be able to get it out at all.
Buy War Bonds.
Old July 29, 2011, 12:22 PM   #14
JayPee

I once heard it said that an empty gun is a stone too expensive to throw and a sword too short to cut anybody with. In my book that applies to carrying an automatic pistol with an empty chamber.

JP
Old July 29, 2011, 12:30 PM   #15
zombieslayer

What good is an unloaded lcp on ones pocket?
Old July 29, 2011, 12:33 PM   #16
tjhands

Anyone NOT carrying the gun with a round chambered is not carrying a gun. They're carrying a friggin' rock.

People are retarded.
Old July 29, 2011, 01:14 PM   #17
Artie

I only carry my LCP unloaded, and I've detailed the numerous reasons why I choose to do so in another thread. I'm not going to rehash all that, but for pocket carry of a gun as small as the LCP, there are some merits to doing so if you can get past the chest thumping and hypothetical worst case scenarios.

It is absolutely possible to draw and chamber a gun as small as the LCP in a fraction of a second if you are good with it and practice doing so. You could never get away with it on a larger gun, but you can on the LCP. I know I can, but if you feel you can't then don't try it. You are more likely to lose time fumbling with the holster or loose clothing then you are chambering an LCP, but that seems to be acceptable for some reason.

I don't understand the logic that a gun without one in the pipe isn't really a gun. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard, and practically ever law enforcement agency and court in the country will agree with me. The most important aspect to carrying a loaded firearm is to be safe and to be proficient. Lots of people feel they are invincible because they carry a loaded gun, when the fact is that they are neither safe or capable, and that is even more dangerous than carrying an un-chambered gun IMO. Whatever works best for you is the best solution, not what others on the internet feel you should do.
Old July 29, 2011, 01:28 PM   #18
zombieslayer

Lol chest thumping, huh? Ok... Whatever you say. Hope you're never caught one-handed. The lcp isnt like a 1911, racking the slide on a belt or boot may prove difficult. How many law enforcement agencies/officers carry unloaded guns?
Old July 29, 2011, 01:43 PM   #19
18DAI

In sixteen years on the job I've yet to meet an LEO that didn't carry his handgun with one in the tube ready to go.

I think I understand some folks reluctance to do so. I would advise that perhaps they should consider a different type of handgun if the one they own/use causes them concern when loaded.

I think it is largely a confidence issue. Keep your finger off the trigger and it won't go bang. Some fine semi auto's are equipped with manual safeties too, to insure it won't go bang when you don't want it to.

Anyways, everyone should do what their comfort level allows and find what works for them. Regards 18DAI.
Old July 29, 2011, 01:43 PM   #20
Stressfire

Artie, I truly hope you are right and I wish you luck. If that is what you are comfortable with (some people are not comfortable with a chambered pistol bouncing on their hip all day, every day), I will not even attempt to tell you otherwise.

Personally, I feel safe with a chambered round in my carry gun, though it has both a stiff trigger (upwards of 10lbs) and a manual safety/decocker. I, personally, do not see any purpose in not carrying this way but for those who choose differently - it is your choice to make.
Old July 29, 2011, 01:47 PM   #21
jimbob86

Quote:
It is absolutely possible to draw and chamber a gun as small as the LCP in a fraction of a second if you are good with it and practice doing so.
With one hand? You may not have the luxury of two hands at crunch time ...... unless you want to block blows from your foe with your face or chest.......

Quote:
You could never get away with it on a larger gun,.........
Not so: I used to carry my 1911 in condition 3 ..... and was really fast at it with 2 hands ...... when challenged to do it with only one hand, I could do it (by catching the rear sight on my belt), but not as fast as Carrying in condition 1 in the first place. When put to the test of a shot timer, Conditon 1 is faster and more accurate. KISS rule applies here: the less you have to do when time (tenths of a second!) is priceless, the better.

Long story short, I quit wasting valuable practice time perfecting performance of a flawed idea, and started listening to people who knew how it was supposed to be done.
Old July 29, 2011, 01:51 PM   #22
tjhands

Quote:
I don't understand the logic that a gun without one in the pipe isn't really a gun. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Wow, OK.

I know post counts don't count for much of anything, but when I see totally ridiculous posts like this, I am willing to slide a $100 bet onto the table that they're new to firearms, think they've got it all figured out, and have not spent time here or anywhere else actually learning anything.

Your unloaded LCP is too tiny to even be used as a bludgeoning tool. You're doubly screwed, but go ahead with it. Rock on, brother.
Old July 29, 2011, 02:16 PM   #23
jimbob86

Quote:
Whatever works best for you is the best solution, not what others on the internet feel you should do.
You know, there's a 99.99% chance that condition 3 will work for you just fine, provided you pay attention, and don't do stupid things with stupid people: you probably won't need any gun at all. ...... then there's that .01% chance that you will ......... and if that happens, there is a 100% chance that you will be behind the curve.....
Old July 29, 2011, 02:36 PM   #24
md1911

1 in the chamber.
Old July 29, 2011, 03:02 PM   #25
Silent Bob

This is a perfect example of why in an sudden violent attack you may not have use of both hands to try and rack the slide first. Also, since he was being pulled out of a car, he really wouldn't have been able to rack the slide by catching the rear sight on his boot heel or whatever. Fortunately this guy did have a round chambered in his Glock 36 (though it was in his center console and not on his person) and was able to shoot one of his two attackers (which persudaded the other to cease with the assault). On a side note the attackers later took to Facebook after the shooting to get sympathy from idiots and decry the victim as a "p----" who pulled a gun while getting his "a--" beat and turned the tables on their fun. From a recent shooting in Ohio:

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.p...=53502&start=0
Closed Thread