The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old January 25, 2001, 01:22 PM   #26
Porter-Glockwell

Thanks so much Mrs. Kodiak. It's good to have a woman's advice. I will use your suggestions when I talk to her. Besides, I think I found a way to convince her. Every few months she starts bugging me to shave off my goatee. I hate being clean shaven as I look all of 12 years old without a beard. In the past I have just shaved it and then grown it back a few months later. This time I made her a deal. I told her I would shave it off and keep it off for 6 whole months if she would come with me. I think it worked

How much ammo should I bring?
What else?
Old January 25, 2001, 05:31 PM   #27
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Plans?
Come on - I fly by the seat of my pants... I dont make plans so far in advance!
What we need is another good location first... depending upon that - we can make the best plans. The Desert location is no longer available. We need a new one.
Any ideas?
Old January 25, 2001, 05:55 PM   #28
Caeca Invidia Es
Staff Alumnus

The desert is still open.... just have to drive deeper into it

I don't approve of political jokes, I've seen too many of them get elected.
Old January 25, 2001, 07:33 PM   #29
TaxPhd

Oh no!!

A bunch of Utahn's with guns, including Porter-Glockwell!! Sounds like a resurrection of the Danites!

"Those who live by the sword are probably pretty f***ing good at it."

"Instructions for a successful gunfight: Front Sight, Press Trigger, repeat
as necessary." - B. Braxton
Old January 25, 2001, 09:33 PM   #30
Ding

Oh, February 24th. I guess I could make it there, though I'm not sure yet. I'll let you know when I know.

I hope to make it, though.
Old January 25, 2001, 11:34 PM   #31
Correia

TaxPhd, and some of use are even accountants! The terror!

Guys, I am definately going to attend. My wife wants to come, and my usual lurker shooting buddy is planning on coming. In addition I may bring along a friend who is new to the world of defensive handguns, but is very interested in learning. What better way to break somebody in right than around a bunch of TFLers.

I'm afraid that I'm not much help as far as picking a location, I'm too far north. I don't think any of you guys would be interested in coming all the way up to my part of the state.

As far as what to bring, bring every gun that you think will be fun to shoot or share, and all of the ammo that you can afford!

Meiji, can you get that digital camera again? Those photos last time were awesome.

Old January 26, 2001, 10:25 AM   #32
Correia

I've been coresponding with a few Colorado TFLers,they may check in too. Just so you guys know.
Old January 26, 2001, 10:39 AM   #33
Steve Smith

OK, I'm one of the Colorado TFLers. I think we can get a group together...but PLEASE try to set this up in Eastern Utah...We're all in Eastern Colorado. Thanks!
Old January 26, 2001, 04:27 PM   #34
TaxPhd

Correia,

Glad the reference wasn't lost on you!

I miss my days in Utah, and sometimes want to go back, but relatives keep telling me it has become overrun with Kalifornians and that housing prices have gone through the roof. If that's the case, I'll stay in the South.

"Those who live by the sword are probably pretty f***ing good at it."

"Instructions for a successful gunfight: Front Sight, Press Trigger, repeat
as necessary." - B. Braxton
Old January 26, 2001, 05:32 PM   #35
Correia

Tax, it depends on where you are living at. The greater SLC area has jacked up housing prices, but I don't think that they are to bad compared to most other states. I was just in California, and their housing prices are insane.

I lived in the South (Alabama) for a couple of years, I can see why you would like to stay. The South is a great place.

And other news not at all related to this thread, I just got a new accounting job and I'm moving down to that over priced SLC area in about two weeks.

I figure that George is in VA right about now, but when he gets back we need to finalize on a shooting location.
Old January 26, 2001, 06:03 PM   #36
Porter-Glockwell

Locations

I know of two or three decent places. One is near Delta Utah out in the desert. Another is in the desert near Toole, or we could go to Cedar Fort or out by the west side of Utah Lake.

Danite reunion here I come!
Old January 26, 2001, 06:21 PM   #37
Caeca Invidia Es
Staff Alumnus

Congrats Correia, now maybe there will be someone close by who wouldn't mind going shooting with me every once in awhile.

Old January 26, 2001, 08:42 PM   #38
Correia

Porter, my parents live in Delta Utah. But thats probably a bit far for most of the folks on here, especially if we get some guys from Colorado.

Cacea, I am always up for shooting. Especially since this job will mean that I have more than a college student poverty level income for the first time ever, I plan on doing plenty of shooting.
Old January 26, 2001, 10:35 PM   #39
yorec

For the first time, I'll be able to show up. Might even get the wife to come too.

I thought you were going to have it at the PMAA Range, East Canyon Exit off I80 East, near Park City. Did that change? Hope not, that's probably the closets range in all of Utah to me.

I'll bring lots of guns and bullets. Gotta try out my new FAL fo the first time.

And Correria, I'll bring a really good digital camera. Digital video as well as still photos; all in easy, internet friendly formats... Hopefully we can have a couple there so you are assured of some good pics.
Old January 27, 2001, 11:02 PM   #40
Meiji_man

I'll be bringing my camera and laptop again, More ammo this time and hopefully another lurker.
We doing the grill thing again?
When are we going to make this a camping trip?
Old January 28, 2001, 01:06 PM   #41
bobwest

It's on my calendar. Whether I can actually make it or not depends on some factors beyond my control, but I would be willing to help plan, provide props, etc, if my help is wanted. Sorry to miss the one last year.
Two buds from ak47-net might also be interested. I will pass the info on to them.
My impression on the PMAA range is that we couldn't do anything fancy there because it is a public rifle range. They have some shorter-distance ranges, but they are generally reserved for LEO's. I vote for a west-desert spot. George, if you want to get together & scout it out with me, let me know when it's convenient.
Old January 28, 2001, 06:30 PM   #42
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Cold Hearted Ninny actually lives out there... I bet he already has a spot that will suit us just fine. I'll talk to him Wednesday when I am returned to Zion from Virginia.

I am planning on doing a BBQ and grilling lots of meat to death... I wont forget the chicken this time either!

Old January 28, 2001, 07:42 PM   #43
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

During an email exchange with Larry (about the shirts), he told me about this get together. Wish I could go, but other commitments were already in place.

My wife already has a commitment to be in Boise that day and I aready commited to being at a gun show in Pocatello. Kind of hard to get out of everything...besides, if my wife found out I went to a shoot-em-up without her...ummm...she has this dinky little .357...Lorraine Bobbit could get lessons!!!

So while this new guy would like to mosey on down to Utah, I'll have to take a rain check.

Ummm, you guys ever do anything like this during the spring or summer?
Old January 28, 2001, 07:52 PM   #44
Caeca Invidia Es
Staff Alumnus

We have these gatherings farely often. I'm sure there will be another one or two in the spring/summer months.

Old January 29, 2001, 10:47 PM   #45
Correia

In my opinion I think we should go out to some boonie areas to shoot rather than an organized range. I figure that the desert just offers us more options. Just an opinion to throw out while you guys are scouting for a good location.

By the way, thanks to you guys here that offered to help us find a place to live in the SLC area. You know who you are. We found a place about 2 miles from my new job that is great, and are moving down in a couple of weeks. Look forward to doing some shooting with ya'll.

Antipitas, sorry to hear that you can't make it. I'll put you on the mailing list for the next one.
Old January 30, 2001, 06:03 AM   #46
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

It would be great to meet up with you guys/gals one of these days. Really helps to be able to put faces and personalities with teh screen names!

Back in the late '80's, early '90's, before the internet came to rural Idaho, I used to travel from Rupert to Portland to meet with a bunch of computers hobbiests to put faces to the names on a BBS we were subscribed to. Lots of fun. Friendships are made. Even if ya decide ya don't like a particular person (in the flesh as opposed to this medium), a certain respect insues. 'Course, the reverse happens also.

The only bad thing about going to a different state is that my CCW is not recognized...Idaho being a "shall issue" state and all. From what I've read of Utah gun laws, all my stuff would have to be cased and seperated from the ammo.

It's only been a couple of weeks since I got my new P11, but I've grown fond of carrying it everywhere! Guess I'll have to see about getting a Nevada and Utah license, since I travel to both a couple of times a year.

And yes, Larry, my check went out yesterday.

Al.
Old January 31, 2001, 10:45 AM   #47
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Back from Virginia...

Yeah the desert would be fine again.
It gives us the space and the range and the freedom that TFL groups in other states (poor souls) just dont have.
For what we spend at the D&P Range in VA, we could have had our own Knob Creek out here!
I like the idea of putting up the tent again like we had before... but this time, lets check the weather reports for chances of tornados! That thing came outta nowhere... Just a few seconds prior to hitting us, I saw it 1500 meters away and moving slowly... then all the sudden it was on top of us - Just like Sir Lancelot in Monty Python's Holy Grail.
After spitting out grit and small desert animals, we went on and had a great time.
I'll remember the sunblock too. I had a great burn the next day after the last one!

I'll talk with CHN (Cold Hearted Ninny) about the specific location... He's from those parts.

You guys remember the B-17 Grasshopper? This time, we'll bag one of them if we bring enough firepower...
Old January 31, 2001, 11:07 AM   #48
Correia

I remember the tornado, skyder about lost his tent, and unfortunately his truck was still connected to it. I thought both were going to end up in Oz.

And we will be ready for those Mega-Grasshoppers this time... Utah TFL doesn't get pushed around by any mutant insects.
Old January 31, 2001, 11:13 AM   #49
Caeca Invidia Es
Staff Alumnus

I can see the headlines now:

"Giant Ice Tornado Kills 12 Utah Gun Nuts".

or

"12 Utah Hunters Eaten By 24 Foot Grasshopper"

Old January 31, 2001, 07:42 PM   #50
PvtPyle

I'm in for the one in Feb, plus we also have another one set for the 27, 28, & 28th of April. It will be a desert shoot by Utah lake. Please bring the wives/husbands/SO's as this sould be alot of fun for all.

The 27th we will have a potluck BBQ at my house (to get to know everyone) so bring a side and drinks.

The 28th off to the desert. The ranges there in this box canyon go out to almost 1400 yards. For any out of towners that may come we can do weapons cleaning in my garage shop, it's close by. The activities for that evening are still open to suggestions.

Sunday the 29th we will either head back out to the desert or to the local range for the day. We will probably wrap up early so the out of towners can get on the road and home at a decent hour.

Anyone needing help in making hotel reservations let me know and I'll get you some numbers. You will need meals for the desert shoot, it's a bit far to run to Micky D's and I'll have plenty of coolers.

If you are interested in coming please let me know so I can plan the BBQ.