The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 4, 2000, 11:54 AM   #1
conkill

i'm curious as to how old this revolver is. i got this revolver from my dad, it used to be his dad's and we "think" it is from the 30's or 40's. it says imperial arms co. on the side of the barrel, thats is what is confusing me. also it has a really short serial number(5 numbers), so that makes me think it is old. any help you can give me about how to find its origins would be appreciated.
Old September 4, 2000, 01:33 PM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

conkill:
Are you sure it says S&W?

My records indicate that the Imperial Arms Co. is a trade name used on inexpensive revolvers made by Hopkins & Allen Co revolver.

HJN
Old September 4, 2000, 11:04 PM   #3
conkill

yea i'm sure it says S&W on the barrel, i'm looking at it right now and on the top of the barrel it says "for 32 smith & wesson ctgs." abd on the side of the barrel it says imperial arms co. i hope that helps.
Old September 5, 2000, 05:16 AM   #4
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

conkill:
The information on the barrel will indicate the type of ammunition. As you indicate .32 S&W, which is the caliber. I am thinking that if it states Imperial Arms Co. that's who made the pistol in .32 S&W Caliber. The informaton, if any, that is stamped on the frame or receiver will be the pistol mfg'r

Here is a brief history on the Ctg, and this may clear some things up for you.

Designed for the S&W Model 1½" hinged-frame, single action revolver. The 32 S&W is an old and very popular cartridge, widely used in the U.S. and in Europe for low priced pocket type revolvers. Originally a black powder cartridge, it has been loaded with smokeless powder exclusively since about 1940. In the U.S. Colt, Harrington & Richardson, Hopkins & Allen, Iver Johnson, Smith & Wesson and others have made various light revolvers for this cartridge. In England , Webley & Scott made revolvers for it and in Europe the Bayard and Pickert revolvers plus odd brands chambered it.

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited September 05, 2000).]

Old September 5, 2000, 11:12 AM   #5
conkill

so basically its just a generic gun, that 32 S&W is the round that it uses. is that correct?
Old September 5, 2000, 12:19 PM   #6
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

conkill:
Your pistol was made by the Hopkins & Allen Co for Impereial Arms Co. in cal .32 S&W.

HOPKINS & ALLEN:
Established in 1868, this company produced a variety of revolvers often marked with trade names such as Acme, Blue Jacket, Captain Jack, Chidhester, Defender, Dictator, Hopkins & Allen (IMPERIAL ARMS CO.) and sevaral others.

HJN