The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 8, 2011, 09:04 AM   #51
Tactical Jackalope

Oh well "/ works for some not for others. Wish it worked for all :'( haha
Old February 8, 2011, 09:05 AM   #52
JCP281

Short and sweet, on a striker fired gun, I dont want any safeties other than an internal one incase the pistol is dropped.

The backstrap safety is redundant and just another thing to go wrong on the gun. The trigger is not easy to pull like a 1911, there is no need for it.
Old February 8, 2011, 10:03 AM   #53
Claddagh

There can't be an "everyone" without me, and I don't hate it

Also occurs to me that they sure seem to sell a bunch of 'em, so I guess I must not be alone in that.
Old February 8, 2011, 11:18 AM   #54
Tactical Jackalope

I love my XD45

-fin-
Old February 8, 2011, 11:21 AM   #55
XD Gunner

Quote:
All BS, put in place to appease the liberal politicians.
How liberal were the politicians in 1911?

Have fun with your revolvers.

I have had zero issues with the grip safety on either one of my XDs or my 1911. I don't have a problem with it. It was also included on the HS2000, which was adopted by the Croatian military. I should mention that the HS2000, at the time, was not available in the US, so it definitely wasn't put there for "the lawyers or politicians."

If handguns cause crimes, mine's defective.- Eric Shelton

Last edited by XD Gunner; February 8, 2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old February 8, 2011, 11:24 AM   #56
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD Gunner View Post
How liberal were the politicians in 1911?
LMFAO!!! That's too funny man, good point.

Though honestly speaking all these talks about gun safeties and bans and all that..bans especially is making our forefathers turn in their graves. It has to stop. Really.
Old February 8, 2011, 11:45 AM   #57
orangello

I have a XD45 & have not been bothered by the grip safety. It is the first grip safety i have owned.

So far the only issue i've had with my XD is the imperfect dot in my front sight, but i've purchased some of that Glow On stuff to cover the dot with a bigger GLOW dot.
Old February 8, 2011, 01:56 PM   #58
Dragline45

Never had a problem with grip safeties, never heard of a malfunction occurring with them. But I still think they are completely unnecessary, kinda like the internal locks on smith revolvers:barf:
Old February 8, 2011, 03:21 PM   #59
jersey_emt

I don't have a problem with the grip safety on the Springfield XD. It requires barely any pressure to disengage, and honestly, I don't even feel it, unlike 1911's where it's definitely noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnotes
I have never had a problem with any handgun that I owned that had a grip safety. I like them. I just wish the XD also had a manual saftey then I might buy one.
The .45 ACP model is available with a manual safety, similar in operation to a 1911 (frame-mounted, up is safe, down is boom).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micahweeks
I don't see the point of it. The Glock has the same kind of trigger and no grip safety, and it is an extremely popular seller. Sometimes I think they did it just to differentiate themselves from Glock. Like I said, I don't mind it. I just don't know why they bothered.
The striker on a Glock pistol is only partially cocked by the slide. Pulling the trigger will fully cock the striker and then release it. This is why Glocks are classified as "double-action" by the BAFTE.

The Springfield XD trigger is a true single-action design. The striker is fully cocked by the slide. The XD was designed to be a modern, polymer-framed, striker-fired version of a 1911. The grip angle is the same as a 1911, it has a single-action trigger, and adding the grip safety was a natural extension of this design philosophy.

Please check out WhichGun.com, a firearms reference and buying guide.
Old February 8, 2011, 03:35 PM   #60
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Why does every one hate the XD grip safety
Far from everyone! I have no problem with the grip safety on my XD40 Sub.
The ones that do hate it do so because the XD is not their chosen brand of gun.
That generally falls in the category of "gun snob"
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 8, 2011, 05:20 PM   #61
OsOk-308

I like them, but then again, the 1911 feels fantastic to me, and I love the grip safety idea. It allows you to grab the gun and shoot, without handling any safety switch.
Old February 8, 2011, 05:30 PM   #62
SPUSCG

At least its not a magazine disconnect.
Old February 13, 2011, 04:12 AM   #63
jeepman4804

Quote:
The striker on a Glock pistol is only partially cocked by the slide. Pulling the trigger will fully cock the striker and then release it. This is why Glocks are classified as "double-action" by the BAFTE.

The Springfield XD trigger is a true single-action design. The striker is fully cocked by the slide. The XD was designed to be a modern, polymer-framed, striker-fired version of a 1911. The grip angle is the same as a 1911, it has a single-action trigger, and adding the grip safety was a natural extension of this design philosophy.
Your point? All of my M&P's are a true "single action" and the striker is fully cocked by the slide. Not to mention my .45FS with a competition Apex kit has a 3.5lbs pull and I have never had a ND. The XD and M&P have a pretty long take-up and "split" triggers so I see no need for an extra piece of equipment that can fail or cause problems clearing malfunctions. Or as previously mentioned cause a FTF because of a bad grip. You can still get rounds on target with a bad grip and I agree that in a real world encounter you are more likely to have this problem arise.

Like I said... I don't hate it, I just see its purpose in this particular style of weapon.

EDIT: As for mag safeties, I think they are worthless too. I will not purchase a gun with one and if I have to it gets removed...
Old February 13, 2011, 05:14 PM   #64
HKFan9

I never even notice a grip safety when I'm shooting. I don't care if it has one or not.... just be proficient enough to pick up a weapon and know how to use it. If you don't like it.... don't buy it... If you do like it... buy it. Glocks are good guns... but if I get one for free I'd sell it the next day and put the money towards another 1911.
Old March 5, 2013, 04:23 AM   #65
jp_over

XD grip safety

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm looking to upgrade my G21 to either an HK or an XD simply because of the unsupported case head issue (never had a problem, but am upgrading anyway).

I have shot the XD quite a few times and don't really have a problem with the grip safety but I don't want it pure and simple (neither do I want Springfield's ILS).

I've e-mailed Springfield to find out if I can get an XD without these options but I doubt it. Likely, I'll end up with the HK not out of any "fan club" reasons but because I can get a pistol set up just like a Glock - the only safety I want is the trigger.

Of note, I also own an old Colt 1911 (MKIV Series 70 Government, 1976) and I have no complaints about the grip safety. However, I treat it as an excellent piece of American history and it's not one that I carry often.

For my go-to gun, less is better.
Old March 5, 2013, 07:49 AM   #66
foxytwo

Cheapshooter has hit the nail on the head. Also when I reholster I put my thumb on the rear of the sliide and the pistol can not fire if something catches in the trigger, unlike pistols without the grip safety. Some highly trained people have shot themselves in the leg while reholstering.
Old March 5, 2013, 10:28 AM   #67
jmr40

Grip safety's, even on 1911's are more likely to prevent the gun from firing when you want it to fire, than to prevent it from firing when you don't want it to fire.

I tolerate them on my 1911' simply because the 1911 is an otherwise great design and that was part of the design. The 1911 grip safety is better designed as well, and yes I've owned an XD before. I won't tolerate them on an XD because I have the option buying of several other guns that do the same thing, maybe even do it better, and they don't have one.
Old March 5, 2013, 10:55 AM   #68
TunnelRat

Quote:
Grip safety's, even on 1911's are more likely to prevent the gun from firing when you want it to fire, than to prevent it from firing when you don't want it to fire.
Interesting. What do you have to substantiate this?
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 5, 2013, 10:57 AM   #69
jp_over

Springfield response

Got this response from Springfield:

"Due to an overwhelming volume of e-mails, we have created a list of answers to the most frequently asked questions we are receiving.
• Orders are being shipped as quickly as possible, though they may take up to eight weeks for delivery.
• Web store orders may not be changed after you complete check out.
• After your credit card is charged, orders are shipped within 24 hours and you will not receive a shipment notice.
• If you have questions regarding any proposed legislation, please contact your local, state, or federal representatives.

We hope you find this response helpful.

Sincerely,

Springfield, Inc."

I posed the question again to both the sales e-mail and the custom shop e-mail to see if I can get an answer on ordering an XD with no grip safety and no ILS.

Also, jmr40 - agreed. Whether it's Murphy or a bad grip, one more step isn't necessary if you pay attention to your trigger finger.

Last edited by jp_over; March 5, 2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old March 5, 2013, 11:02 AM   #70
TunnelRat

Quote:
I posed the question again to both the sales e-mail and the custom shop e-mail to see if I can get an answer on ordering an XD with no grip safety and no ILS.
Why would they do that?
Old March 5, 2013, 11:07 AM   #71
jp_over

There are a number of custom options available, I figured why not ask?
Old March 5, 2013, 11:17 AM   #72
TunnelRat

Quote:
There are a number of custom options available, I figured why not ask?
I spose, though most of those options don't change the fundamental design of the firearm. At that point doesn't it make more sense to pick from any other of the polymer wonders?
Old March 5, 2013, 11:20 AM   #73
YankeeSpirit76

I don't even notice it, and, I'm kinda glad it's there.
Old March 5, 2013, 11:24 AM   #74
jp_over

Quote:
I spose, though most of those options don't change the fundamental design of the firearm. At that point doesn't it make more sense to pick from any other of the polymer wonders?
Good point. Simple answer, I like the XD and how it shoots but I'd like to try and get it "my way". Alternatively, I might simply keep my G21 or check out the P227, HK45, and maybe the newer G21 (though I've heard the case head support issue with which I'm concerned is not really an issue with factory loaded 45 ACP).
Old March 5, 2013, 11:35 AM   #75
TunnelRat

Quote:
the case head support issue
To my knowledge this was only really an issue with earlier generation Glocks and mostly in 40SW. I am not aware of Glock having any more problems with its 45 ACP line than any other manufacturer out there. If you just don't like Glocks I can understand, neither do I, but I don't think your current concern is one that is honestly an issue.
Closed Thread