The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 18, 2007, 01:55 PM   #1
spruilldog

Fusion ammo question

I have been using the fusion ammo in my 30.06 and in my 7mm-08. I have had good results with quick clean kills as long as the shot placement is good. My question is about the exit hole on game. I have noticed that without fail the exit hole on the hide is barely bigger than the entrance. Like I said the bullet is obviously doing its job since I haven't really had to do any tracking, but it seems like if I did have one that needed tracking the blood trail out of such a small exit hole my be hard to follow. Now underneath the hide I have found a big trail if destruction so the bullet is obviously expanding. It's just the hole in the hide that is tiny. I can't complain given the end results, but when I was shooting winchester ballistic tips the exit side looked like a small explosion had occured. That's what I was used to. Any experience with tracking problems or should I just shut up and keep shooting.
Old October 18, 2007, 03:46 PM   #2
JKump

If you are having good results. Just shut up and not worry. I also use the Fusion ammo 308 180 grain with GOOD results. All have good exit wounds, all the deer did not travel after the hit. I can't complain.

"Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth".
Old October 18, 2007, 06:58 PM   #3
davlandrum

Sounds like you are doing your part (good shots) and the bullets are doing thier part (massive internal damage). I don't think I have ever got a HUGE gapping wound from an exit hole from a rifle. Slugs from a shotty make a HOLE.

If its working, don't fix it.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old October 19, 2007, 07:18 AM   #4
stevelyn

An inny and outy. What's not to like?

Just shut up and keep shooting.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old October 19, 2007, 01:29 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

On an Elk, I'd be concerned - Elk skin is very thick, elastic & self-healing, and can seal up and leave you no blood trail without a large exit wound. Combined with their toughness and the distance they can travel, this could be no bueno. But as for whitetail & mulies & such, it sounds like the exit hole you are making is big enough, and the internal damage big enough, that it's working for you, and so I wouldn't change anything on those animals (unless you're in steep terrain where you want NO tracking - but in that case, I'd go for a neck shot anyway instead). The Fusions are good-priced and have shot well in the rifles I've tried them in (a .243 and a .308). Good value ammo, if you ask me.
Old October 19, 2007, 03:23 PM   #6
davlandrum

I really think you are getting a normal exit wound. Even good expansion that doubles the diameter of the bullet is not a big hole. If you don't hit a bone or anything.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old October 20, 2007, 05:37 PM   #7
Andrew93

it could be that the petals of the bullet are expanding good inside the animal and just breaking off or folding right up against the side of the bullet.
Old October 20, 2007, 09:11 PM   #8
c2po

I used fusion rounds earlier this year. I shot about a 100lb boar I believe I was using a about 180 grain and I lost over half of the ribs due to expansion. The expansion was there I actualy quit using them because of the loss of meat. I do think they are very good rounds I saw on TV they have them for muzzleloader now.
Old October 22, 2007, 09:53 AM   #9
JKump

Well, this last Saturday shot a nice Spike (125 lbs.) using 308 180 gr. Fed. Fusion. Shot him just behind right shoulder, entry hole just about the size of my pinky going in, exit oppsite shoulder a little bigger than thumb. Cannot complain DRT (dead right there).

"Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth".