The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 12, 2018, 06:29 AM   #1
mrdaputer

Glock knuckle on S&W 629

Hi all I picked up a new S&W 629 with the 61/2 barrel. When I go to shoot it my shooting hand middle finger knuckle gets sore. I have kind of long fingers. Right now I started to use leather gloves when I shoot. Does anyone else have this issue? If so what have you tried to do to solve the problem? Like a different grip.

Last edited by mrdaputer; August 12, 2018 at 06:48 AM.
Old August 12, 2018, 07:01 AM   #2
smee78

I use Ahrends round butt finger groove grips on all my N frames and don't have that problem anymore. What type of grips do you currently have on your gun now?
Old August 12, 2018, 07:39 AM   #3
mrdaputer

Thank you for the reply It is the stock rubber grip. Here is a link

https://grabagun.com/s-w-629-6-6-5-44mag-classic.html
Old August 12, 2018, 09:06 AM   #4
lunger

I broke my middle finger on my right hand as a kid. Anything that recoils and has a gap behind the trigger guard hurts.

There are many stocks (grips) out there that fill this space and and put your finger below the trigger guard.

My current favorite are the wood Houge's . https://www.hogueinc.com/products
They come in a variety of styles and woods. Rubber ones are excellent also if you prefer.
Old August 12, 2018, 02:37 PM   #5
TailGator

I'm just being dopey, but it amuses me to see it called "Glock knuckle" with a S&W revolver.
Old August 12, 2018, 03:08 PM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...it amuses me to see it called "Glock knuckle" with a S&W revolver.
Yup. I have a large callous on my right middle finger where it has been (and continues to be) abused by various trigger guards. I hadn't ever really associated it with any particular handgun because it seems to happen with nearly everything I shoot.
Old August 12, 2018, 03:26 PM   #7
HighValleyRanch

You might be LIMP GRIPPING!
Old August 12, 2018, 03:52 PM   #8
burrhead

^This^^

Grip it like a man.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old August 12, 2018, 03:59 PM   #9
AK103K

I have a 4" 29 that came with those grips you showed and I quickly ditched them for a set of the Houge rubber grips (I have them on most of my S&W's).

It wasnt my knuckle that was taking a beating, but my palm. That, and the offset further away from the trigger the grips caused, never felt right when shooting (I shoot DAO).

Those factory grips radius at the back to a dull "knife edge" and it focuses the recoil right into your palm.

With the backstrap bared with the Houges, it puts my trigger finger in the right place too.

My knuckle is good too, Glock or S&W.
Old August 13, 2018, 07:55 AM   #10
Master Blaster

Glock knucle ? 20 years shooting Glocks and This is the first time I heard of it. The issue you are having with your knuckle is caused by the heavy recoil driving the trigger guard into your knuckle. This happens because your knuckle is behind the trigger guard. Look at your hand when you grip the 629. Recoil is driving the gun back hard and the steel trigger guard hits your middle finger knuckle. This happens with many different revolvers and the factory grips that come with them. Try some Hogue grips they fill the gap between the trigger guard and the grip frame so your knuckle sits below the trigger guard.

On a glock and most semi autos you cannot get your finger between the guard and the grip because the back of the trigger guard attaches to the grip so there is no gap.
Old August 14, 2018, 06:56 AM   #11
mrdaputer

Not a Limp grip it has more to do with longer fingers. I owned a glock and had the same problem that is why I call it a glock knuckle. That is why I sold it. I have no issues with my brothers Ruger redhawlk 44. glock knuckle is real guys. Thank you for the replies about the wooden grips I will give that a shot

http://bfy.tw/cV