The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 25, 2018, 04:30 PM   #26
COSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman Basic View Post
Who's making the Mossbergs and where?
Is this a trick question like, "Who's buried in Grant's Tomb?"

O.F. Mossberg & Sons (commonly known as Mossberg). My 464 is rollmarked 'New Haven, CT'
Old September 5, 2018, 06:45 PM   #27
Jacket67

I have both a Marlin 336 and a Henry H009. The Henry is by far the better rifle in my opinion. I never looked at them before due to them not having the side-loading gate. The Henry I have is a very recent graduation gift and it quickly became my favorite of the two lever guns. Not for the sentimentality, but for the action. The Marlin pales in comparison. I understand the argument people make about "not being able to load quickly" if the need arises, but I have found that being able to safely and quickly unload a full tube of ammo to be the much more practical option. Not having to cycle through the gun repeatedly has been a luxury I didn't know I was missing.

On another note, I had some trouble with the Marlin that, had I needed to use the gun defensively, could have cost me my life. The screw that tightens the loading gate came loose and seized the rifle up. It jammed into the action and it took about 20 minutes for me to extract the half-loaded round, and a few more to un-lodge the gate so the rifle would cycle. Not a problem I will ever have with my Henry. I understand that many people have probably owned Marlins for decades and never had this issue, but I have had mine for only a few years and it happened to me.

Both are good rifles, but my suggestion would be for the Henry.
Old September 5, 2018, 09:53 PM   #28
Rifletom

I have and use all three: Mod 94 30-30, Henry .357/.38 and Marlin 336 30-30. Sold the Marlin. Really can't put a finger on why, but, the Marlin just didn't "feel" right. The other two, well, they work. Personal preference I guess. Looking for a .45 Colt lever gun now.
Old September 5, 2018, 10:09 PM   #29
FrankenMauser

Tools are tools.

Some people like Snap-On. Some people like Matco. Some people like Crapsman. Some people like Horror Fraught, er, Harbor Freight.

I respect the opinions and desires of the guys that like Winchesters, Henrys, Brownings, and Mossbergs.

But, me? I'm a Marlin guy (pre-Remington, primarily).
I like them for personal reasons, of course. But I also think they're the best bang for your buck - not just financially, but also from an engineering perspective of balancing weight vs efficiency vs safety vs value.
They're not the prettiest, or the most refined. But I think they're damn good for what they are.

Quote:
On another note, I had some trouble with the Marlin that, had I needed to use the gun defensively, could have cost me my life. The screw that tightens the loading gate came loose and seized the rifle up. It jammed into the action and it took about 20 minutes for me to extract the half-loaded round, and a few more to un-lodge the gate so the rifle would cycle. Not a problem I will ever have with my Henry.
I understand the frustration and why you have the opinion that you do.
For me, however, that's a maintenance issue, not a design flaw.
You can also look at it the other way:
One day, you might not fully latch the magazine follower on your Henry, only to see it eject itself when you fire the rifle. That's not a problem you would ever have with a Marlin.

A few weeks back, I was handling my brother's Winchester 94AE. I pointed out that he was about to lose a screw that was backed out 8 full turns (I counted as I turned it in and suggested he get a screw driver). "No [bleep]? I guess I should have checked it..."
Old September 6, 2018, 08:02 AM   #30
Rifletom

Well. the .45 Colt I'm looking for just might be a Marlin1894C, pre Remington days. Buddy of mine has one and I like the feel of it. It seems slimmer than the 336 I had. I believe it has an 18" barrel. Pretty slick handling lever gun. Lighter than my Henry BB Brass, I'll say that.
Old September 6, 2018, 02:49 PM   #31
Rooster Leghorn

I have Winchesters, Marlins, Rossis, and a Henry. They all have their good and bad points. Winchesters are may favorites but I wouldn't buy a post '64 model and prefer pre WW1.

I have a 20+ year old Marlin 444 that I would put up against any gun for quality and reliability.

The Rossis are nice because they are relatively inexpensive and are generally fun to shoot if you spend a couple of hours cleaning up the action.

I like the Henrys in rim fire calibers as they are more affordable than say a Marlin 39A or Winchester 9422. The Henry action works like a hot knife through butter and I've found my "Frontier" model in .22LR with 24" octagon barrel and Skinner peep sight to be extremely accurate. I can't comment on the larger caliber Henrys as I've never fired one.

My shooting buds tell me I need more diversity in my safe as I only have lever rifles, multi barrel shotguns, and SA revolvers. My diversity comes in the different makers.