The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 16, 2019, 11:06 AM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

Who uses a generic one-size-fits-all holster and likes it?

Qualifier: You must have owned and used a quality leather, plastic, or kydex holster fitted to a specific pistol prior to commenting.

So, who is using a generic holster (i.e. “fits 3-4” medium frame autopistols”) and likes it? What is the brand you are using and how are you using it?
Old February 16, 2019, 11:41 AM   #2
dahermit

I have both...some fitted to a specific gun, that I have made out of leather myself, and soft nylon shoulder holsters that I use to carry my gun(s) out to my shooting station looking out of my pole barn.

Last edited by dahermit; February 16, 2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old February 16, 2019, 01:12 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

Been using and did use it in The Queen's Service, on occasion, an Uncle Mike's shoulder holster for my 1911A1 and Inglis BHP. Works just fine. So does the Uncle Mike's revolver holster, but it closes too much. Makes putting the thing back an issue. That might be an age and lack of use thing though.
Only use my hand made, by me, leather holsters otherwise. The cost of brand name stuff is stupid expensive. $300Cdn with taxes for a Safariland drop leg. $50 to $100 for plastic, assorted. I can make a leather holster that fits for about $20, including the dye.
Kydex is plastic.
Old February 16, 2019, 03:44 PM   #4
KyJim

I have a Don Hume J.I.T. Slide-Belt holster for SW K-Frames. I've tried M-15 with two and four inch barrels, Model 10 with 3 and 4 inch barrels, Model 17 with 6 inch barrel, M-19 with 2.5 and 4 inch barrels, and a Model 19 Carry Comp with three inch barrel. It also fits my Colt Agent and Cobra and maybe my Ruger LCR (I can't remember off the top of my head).

I got it just because I have a variety of medium frame revolvers and did not want to purchase a holster for each variation. The only down side is that the barrel of most revolvers protrude through the end. But if Josey Wales could pack like that, so can I.

Over time, I have bought specific holsters for some of my medium frame revolvers but still find the Hume handy to grab.
Old February 16, 2019, 04:22 PM   #5
lunger

Although not currently ,for a while I used a DeSantis Yaqui Slide with several autos. It worked quite well.
Old February 16, 2019, 04:45 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I use such a holster for my summer carry pistol, which may be either a Colt Pony 380 or a Colt Mustang. The holster is a Bulldog Cases small.

https://www.bulldogcases.com/product...ather-holster/

In addition to being a decent fit for the little Colt 380s, I discovered that it also works nicely for a Browning 1911-380 "Compact" (the scaled-down Commander version).

For comparison, for most carry I haul around a Colt Officers ACP or Commander in a Horseshoe Leather belt scabbard -- IMHO the best holsters available anywhere, at any price.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; February 16, 2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old February 16, 2019, 07:38 PM   #7
OneFreeTexan

I use Gould & Goodrich holsters,,, designed to fit my guns exactly,,,,don’t mess with ‘generic’ holsters....Life is too important.
Old February 16, 2019, 09:55 PM   #8
rep1954

I bought a couple of Rugers belt slide holsters. I bought them originally as range tools but they work well with my MK series pistols as bumming around.

http://shopruger.com/Gould-Goodrich-...uctinfo/50400/
Old February 17, 2019, 09:29 AM   #9
AK103K

The couple that I have that arent model specific, are Safariland Model 568 "Custom Fit" belt holsters. Well made, and actually work (properly) with a number of different models.

I found them while looking for a good "strapless" belt holster for my mid to larger framed S&W revolvers. The Safarilands actually work as advertised. The holster feels like a good solid holster made for the gun. Open top, no retaining straps, and the gun is held in the holster like it was made just for it.

Kind of ugly, but who cares, they work.
Old February 17, 2019, 10:03 AM   #10
Wag

My preference is to carry IWB and I use a belly band for a large frame pistol. I did have a kydex holster that was made for it, also for IWB but it added so much bulk to the pistol that it printed very badly. With the belly band, it isn't a problem. Also, I can use it for a lot of different guns, including some revolvers.

--Wag--
Old February 17, 2019, 11:18 AM   #11
dahermit

Quote:
Kydex is plastic.
As usual, dismissive and not enough information. Kydex is a plastic that can be shaped using heat to fit a gun more precisely. Kydex has made significant inroads in commercial and home holster making including hybrids that use boy Kydex and leather in the same holser.

Although I have no plans to buy or make a holster out of Kydex due to my prejudice against things non-traditional, Kydex seems well worth the looking into before it is dismissed out of hand.
Old February 17, 2019, 11:58 AM   #12
2wheelwander

Young, I started out with a few Uncle Miles one size fits most generic holsters. Dad was cheap in this way and what I was taught growing up. Getting into LE and using level 3 holsters showed me the light.

I am a fan of Alien holsters (great bang for the buck), but also have specific leathers I enjoy. The only universal holster I use now is a Desanti's pocket holster for my 642 I can toss in my front pocket that breaks up the outline.

I've been eyeballing an Andersons for a while and will eventually get one just because I want a top shelf holster. To me, its like buying a new $20k motorcycle and then grabbing a $99 helmet. Why would I put my $500+ handgun into a hardware store holster or put bargain tires under a sports car? In the event I have to run, fight, get physical, I do not want to have to worry if my sidearm is popping loose.

You don't see people who train to fight shopping at Cheaperthandirt.com. A holster is part of your EDC. If all you can budget is a $189 Hi point and a $9.99 wal mart folder, I am not knocking you. At least you are prepared as you can be. But having the means carry a $400 XD, a $75 knife, why use an Uncle Mikes sleeve with a belt clip? Its just dangerous IMHO.

I had a custom kydex made locally for my .45 XD with frame mounted light for security work. It worked and did what I wanted, but it was uncomfortable. Not a fan of straight kydex, but do appreciate the hybrids Alien holsters offer.
Old February 18, 2019, 11:05 AM   #13
JN01

Though I rarely use it anymore, Smartcarry works well for its intended purpose.
Old February 18, 2019, 06:06 PM   #14
KyJim

Quote:
I use Gould & Goodrich holsters,,, designed to fit my guns exactly,,,,don’t mess with ‘generic’ holsters....Life is too important.
Hmm, I have a Gould & Goodrich that fits both a Glock (don't remember the model) and a SW M&P. Checked their site and just clicked on two model holsters:

G&G #B733-G20 fits Glock 20, 21; S&W 4586.
G&G #B733-62 -- "Fits many small-frame double-action revolvers with outside hammers and 1.88 in. to 2.25 in. bbl incl.;COLT Agent, Cobra, Detective Special, DSII, SFVI, Lady Special, Lawman; S&W 31, 34, 36, 36LS, 37, 60, 60LS, 63, 317, 632, 634, 637; TAURUS 85, 605, 606"

So, do these not qualify as "generic?"
Old February 18, 2019, 11:26 PM   #15
Siggy-06

Don Hume JIT Slide Holster fits all of my glocks, and a few other pistols of the same double stack shape.
Old February 19, 2019, 03:10 PM   #16
ThomasT

In one of the Backwoodsman issues a fellow wrote in about a simple belt slide he made. It was just a simple strap of leather around 6-8" long with two slots cut for the belt to go through. The belt itself was the back side of the holster.

I meant to make one of these but had forgot about it until this thread. I think I will make one in a couple of days. If I do I will post some pictures. But it was about as simple as you can get for a holster.
Old February 19, 2019, 06:30 PM   #17
ThomasT

Here ya go. I made this in less than 15 minutes. It measures 3"x6.5" and the belt slots were cut with a sharpened 25acp case. I really need a 25/06 case for a hole punch. It would be much easier to hold. And no wise cracks about big bellies. Its not me. Its those defective Tee-Shirts from Walmart.

This was a little big for my Walther PP and 442. A slightly smaller version would work for those guns. The guy who wrote about these suggested 1/4" thick leather. My leather is just over an 1/8" thick. Thicker leather would add more support.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.JPG (138.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0002 (2).JPG (115.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.JPG (126.6 KB, 39 views)
Old February 19, 2019, 07:37 PM   #18
lunger

Thanks for sharing that Ratshooter. Simple and functional.

I think I have those same defective T shirts
Old February 19, 2019, 08:15 PM   #19
ThomasT

Hey Lunger. There seems to be a rash of extended front T-Shirts going around. I don't get it. I am thought of as a Lean, Mean fightin' Machine. OK maybe not.

Anyway I laminated the leather with a second layer and what a difference that made. It really stiffened it up. The total thickness now is 3/16". I don't think I would want it any thicker. This seems about right. Now it holds the above guns and will hold my 442 and Walther PP. I like it. I am making a second one for my bud. The longest part of making one is waiting for the glue to dry. Cutting out and cutting the belt slots goes really fast. I will dye them black when I am finished and then coat them with some KIWI Mink Oil.

If you look at the pics the muzzle is right even with the pocket. I have found you can insert the muzzle in the watch pocket on your jeans and there is no way the gun will fall through. And it hides the gun a little better. Plus this pulls the gun in really tight to your waste. The only down side is the front of the cylinder likes to catch on the top edge of your belt so a little direction is needed on your part. Autos drop right in. I am going to buy a better leather belt tomorrow. That will also give better support.

Last edited by ThomasT; February 19, 2019 at 08:23 PM.
Old February 19, 2019, 08:28 PM   #20
2wheelwander

You bring up a good point ratshooter. A good leather belt makes all the difference when wearing a holster. Thick and stiff provides support you didn't know you needed until you have one.
Old February 19, 2019, 08:42 PM   #21
ThomasT

2Wheel the whole secret to wearing a gun on your belt is a good support system. A floppy, weak belt will drive you nuts. With a good stiff belt you can carry a heavy gun comfortably. It just takes a little looking and expense to find a good belt anymore. The junk they sell at Walmart isn't fit to be called a belt. Good belts are expensive but worth the cost.
Old February 19, 2019, 09:01 PM   #22
2wheelwander

Totally agree ratshooter. I bought one at a gun show a few years ago. Being naturally "frugal" it seemed like a waste of money, but I had some extra cash and began upgrading a few things. It wasn't cheap, but a custom leather maker was plying his goods and you could see and feel the difference in them.

I'll never hang a holster on a cheap belt again. Didn't realize how aggravating it was until the aggravation was gone. I've seen the light!
Old February 19, 2019, 09:05 PM   #23
Sevens

I think I kind of qualify for this question. My first carry gun was my Glock 29 back in 2008 and I used a kydex shell IWB with leather inside, was from a small holster maker that is no longer in business. It worked pretty well but eventually the Kydex cracked from years of use. I got an Alien Gear holster that was similar but in my opinion, it was never quite as comfortable. It worked.

Eventually I moved to a full leather IWB, this one made by Frontline. Grabbed this because it was being offered on a big time sale, around $30 I think. It was the most comfortable yet.

Here's where it gets relevant... eventually I moved to a different carry gun, a Walther PPQm2. And right in to the leather Frontline G29/30 holster it goes. Fit GREAT. It's IWB and retention is terrific, comfort is high.

So I'm still using a holster made for a Glock 29/30 for carrying a PPQ. And bonus! When I elect to carry my S&W 469... it fits also. Retention not quite as secure, but it works.
Old February 20, 2019, 12:03 AM   #24
imp

I do use an uncle Mike's pocket holster for my S&W bodyguard. Anything that's going to ride on a belt should fit well....
Old February 20, 2019, 12:31 AM   #25
rural12

My son carries daily and has a holster that he uses for several guns,..seems to work okay for him...now, I have not really had the same experience, but that is just me.