The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 3, 2019, 06:47 PM   #26
rep1954

“ML would make a Wicked cool truck gun.”

No what you need for a truck gun is a S&W 460VXR with a long barrel, bipod, and a 6 x 12 scope. The whole thing should not be much over 7 lbs. Being a truck gun you will be able to haul around a shooting bench which is the only place I’ve seen this “HANDGUN” shot from.
Old February 4, 2019, 08:43 AM   #27
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rep1954 View Post
“ML would make a Wicked cool truck gun.”

No what you need for a truck gun is a S&W 460VXR with a long barrel, bipod, and a 6 x 12 scope. The whole thing should not be much over 7 lbs. Being a truck gun you will be able to haul around a shooting bench which is the only place I’ve seen this “HANDGUN” shot from.
I'd assume this petty and immature snide remark is directed at me and my username. Lots of things I could say, but am not going to lower myself to your level.

You came on a public forums and asked for opinions. When one does that, they need to accept the fact that not everyone will reply with exactly what they want to hear.
Old February 4, 2019, 09:16 AM   #28
rep1954

Old February 24, 2019, 10:03 PM   #29
Blue1

It is my opinion that anything you add to a mare's leg abbreviated stock that would promote firing from the shoulder turns it into an illegal short-barreled rifle.

Its short barrel is legal in its current format precisely because it is not intended to be fired from the shoulder...you'd have a tough time convincing a prosecutor that the cheek rest was not intended to do precisely that.

Blue1
Old February 25, 2019, 10:29 PM   #30
rep1954

DPris I so understand what you are saying about the length of mares legs. That is why I built this: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1152301
Old May 12, 2020, 03:40 PM   #31
Hogdoc45

Howdy,
Just read your question. Yes, I do use the "cheek hold" method when shooting my Henry Mare's Leg in .44 mag. Just yesterday, I took my mare's leg to the range and ran about 120 rounds through it. The most effective way, in my opinion, to shoot my mare's leg is by the "cheek" method. It is not uncomfortable to me at all. It gives me a point of contact for steadiness. I am glad to have run across your post. I was wondering how many other shooters use this method. On You Tube, you mostly see folks shooting it from the hip, which is very hard to hit and inconsistent in accuracy. But using the cheek method is very accurate. Yesterday, I was consistently hitting human-size torso targets at 50 and 75 yards. Next time out, I will go for 100 yards. And, I was using iron sights, Skinner peep sight with front post. This is a powerful gun in a small package. Great truck and motorcycle gun in GA. Using the cheek hold method nullifies the argument that the mare's leg is a useless toy. Well, not in my hands, it isn't.
Old May 13, 2020, 07:56 PM   #32
rep1954

Hogdoc 45, welcome to the forum. Glad to hear that you are enjoying your Mares leg they are a lot of fun. I have install a Skinner front sight dove tail conversion and receiver mounted rear peep sight to mine. You should look them up well worth the money spent.

http://www.skinnersights.com/henry_rifles_18.html
Old May 14, 2020, 05:22 PM   #33
Forte S+W

The Mare's Leg is a really cool little gun.

Boring Armchair Commandos can hate on it all they want as they hypocritically go on and on about how practical their new AR/AK Pistol is, but as for those of us who actually enjoy firearms and grew out of playing G.I. JOE, it remains a fun firearm with obvious cool appeal.

I would love to add a Rossi Ranch Hand in .45LC to my collection of cool firearms that make Armchair Commandos rant incoherently about how impractical they are alongside my Taurus Judge Magnum and Mossberg 590 Shockwave, but unfortunately they're no longer in production and I have my doubts that Henry is going to introduce a new Mare's Leg with a side loading gate.