The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 29, 2009, 12:01 PM   #1
waiting4godot2

Beretta Px4 and 96 magazines

Hello all,

I am a NB to both this forum and the world of firearms (so please be gentle). Yet I am not a stranger to this forum, I have spent many hours drilling down into the archives for both wisdom and recommendations (thank you, all). So I believe I am posting on the correct forum since the answer(s) will most certainly involve gun-smithing.

Background: I am trying to come up with a 'system' that not only standardizes on the 0.40 S&W caliber but also on a consistent magazine.

I am the new (proud) owner of both a Px4 Storm type F and a Cx4 Storm that accept the newer Px4 magazines (not the more popular 96 magazines). As such, they accept each other magazines quite nicely.

As I look to grow around this 'system' the kel-tec sub 2000 in the Beretta 96 lower seems to a fun choice (why a Cx4 Storm and a sub 2k? - wife and kids can't wait, it folds, etc. - a topic for another thread in another forum).

Finally the question: has anyone converted the Kel-tec sub 2K in the beretta 96 form to accept Beretta px4 magazines (I talked to Bill at Kel-tec and he has not heard of anyone nor do they do custom work)? Or should I just leave the Kel-Tec alone and standardize on the Beretta 96 magazine and then convert the Px4 Storm and Cx4 storm to accept the 96s. I hear this is a fairly simple smithing job using the official Beretta conversion for the Px4 and Cx4 to 96 (C5C620 magazine insert and C89210 magazine release button).

For added bonus points, when I attain carry status I might purchase the Px4 storm sub-compact (I have not handled or fired one yet). Additionally, I am researching other ARs in the 40 S&W like Olympic Arms K40.

Thanks again everyone.
Old February 9, 2009, 07:14 PM   #2
Titan Magroyne

I can't answer your question WRT the Kel-tec, sorry.

I found this thread as I was googling for lowest prices/availability of PX4 mags & signed up to reply. Color me surprised that you wish to convert to 96 magazines, but keep me in mind for a trade if you wish to carry through with your proposal. You're in the ConUS, right? I'm in NC.

You see, I converted my .40 CX4 to accept my PX4's magazines. I have the insert and the mag release button, as well as the two 96 mags that hold 11 rounds each. Those mags have never been fired from or had the springs fully compressed, so if yours are also in good shape...

My gunsmith kinda sneered when I asked him to do the job, but he admitted at pickup that he'd had a devil of a time getting one of the new pieces in right.

Wow, I didn't even know there was an AR in .40.