The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 3, 2018, 10:32 AM   #1
johnwilliamson062

London Surpases NY for murders this month

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/london-...ife-gun-crime/

NY city also has a ban, but many claim it is useless as it is easy to move guns across state lines. Statistics about England in general would be interesting. I remember reading figures where the violent crime did drop for a short period after the bans, but then rose to previous levels within about a year. I looked at those numbers about ten years ago and haven't seen updates though.

I wonder if any of the victims wen't more easily knowing it was a simple knife and not a gun that caused their deaths.
Old April 8, 2018, 06:14 PM   #2
DaleA

Quote:
"There is no single cause, but there has been a big spike in both gun crime and knife crime across London,"
The quote above is from the article but how can this possibly be true???!!!
Old April 8, 2018, 06:22 PM   #3
RC20

It was a one month figure.

And it was interesting on NY as they are treating it as a Public Health issue.

What plays a part in it being a good test lab of course is the stream of guns from down South.

It may not be something all cities or even states want to adopt, but different approaches gives us vastly better info on effectiveness that can then be put into a Dennison matrix (is it worth giving up X for the results of Y?)

That includes gun suicides which are not acknowledged in the discussion generally to any degree.
Old April 8, 2018, 07:13 PM   #4
JERRYS.

according to London's mayor, its all part and parcel innit bruv?
Old April 9, 2018, 01:13 AM   #5
10-96

I don't know if it's pertinent to this discussion, but I did see a news clip thing on the Bing search page that says London has now put some sort of ban on home deliveries of knives. It also said there is a ban on acid being sold to those under 18y/o. I guess when one is in a political office, the feel compelled to do something no matter how silly it is. Are there really no Bait & Tackle stores with fillet knives, Camping and Outdoors stores, Hardware stores with utility knives? Like I said, it must be more career beneficial to do something silly rather to have folks say you did nothing at all.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old April 9, 2018, 03:54 PM   #6
DaleA

Quote:
“No excuses,” Khan [the mayor of London] tweeted. “[T]here is never a reason to carry a knife. Anyone who does will be caught, and they will feel the full force of the law.”
And he's talking ALL knives, not just those "assault knives"!

A story about it can be found here:
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...q-khan-bans-k/
Old April 9, 2018, 04:26 PM   #7
TruthTellers

Knife control is the same as gun control, only the argument is even more fruitless because making shivs and blades is something people have been doing for 8000 years and requires nothing more than a bench grinder and a piece of scrap steel.

All I can think is that the UK has become the East Germany of the 21st Century. It's sad, good thing the US left them a long time ago.
Old April 11, 2018, 10:28 AM   #8
Hal

It's worse than just knives....

This is straight from the Regents Park Police's Twitter page.

It seems now that screwdrivers and pliers are also weapons that need removed from the streets.

Where does this lunacy go from here?

I can see our country fall into this kind of insanity if a certain segment of our elected officials get too much control....

Regents Park Police

Verified account

@MPSRegentsPark
Mar 16
More
These items were found during a #weaponSweep near #MackworthHouse #AugustasSt during #OpSceptre . Safely disposed and taken off the streets
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toofunny.jpg (180.8 KB, 26 views)
Old April 11, 2018, 11:17 AM   #9
ligonierbill

On the news this morning: A doctor over there is proposing to ban all pointy kitchen knives. Not just carried in the street, completely illegal to own! We can roll our eyes, but to a certain segment of our society, this is the way to go.
Old April 11, 2018, 05:04 PM   #10
Salmoneye

Reminds me of the Monty Python bit about how to defend when being attacked by a person brandishing fruit...

One guy asks what if an attacker is brandishing a pointy stick...
Old April 11, 2018, 05:17 PM   #11
JERRYS.

why doesn't England simply make it against the law to purposely kill or injure somebody without justification?
Old April 11, 2018, 06:49 PM   #12
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
It's worse than just knives....

This is straight from the Regents Park Police's Twitter page.

It seems now that screwdrivers and pliers are also weapons that need removed from the streets.

Where does this lunacy go from here?

I can see our country fall into this kind of insanity if a certain segment of our elected officials get too much control....

Regents Park Police

Verified account

@MPSRegentsPark
Mar 16
More
These items were found during a #weaponSweep near #MackworthHouse #AugustasSt during #OpSceptre . Safely disposed and taken off the streets
The scary thing is that a nation that imprisons people for taking pictures of their pet doing a Nazi salute, forbids speech critical of migrants/refugees, has the strictest gun control in the Western world, and is now basically saying that people do not have the right to self defense is the same nation that the US is planning to bomb Syria with and is a nation that the US has sworn to help in the event they are ever attacked.

The people of the US and the UK could not be more opposite in philosophical freedom, while Americans and Russians couldn't be closer. If anything, the US should be preparing to bomb Westminster for taking away people's right to self defense and free speech whilst foisting violent migrants on them and not bombing a nation reeling from a civil war that I don't even remember what started it.
Old April 12, 2018, 09:29 AM   #13
Glenn E. Meyer

Well, that closes this one down.