The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 3, 2018, 05:37 PM   #1
kmw1954

Ported barrels?

I have been looking at a used pistol, semi auto that has a ported barrel. Is there an advantage to this? Simple explanation for doing it.
Old March 3, 2018, 05:41 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

Use? Caliber? Any specific requriements? Target sights, etc? There's more than just porting when buying a handgun. I've had them ported, but with a specific purpose for doing it.
Old March 3, 2018, 06:09 PM   #3
kmw1954

This is a 45acp with a 3.5" barrel. I do not need it I don't think but it's already done. Why it was done you'd have to ask the person that did it.
Old March 3, 2018, 06:53 PM   #4
Capt Rick Hiott

A ported barrel helps with recoil for sure,,,but it makes the gun louder....

I hunt with a Taurus Raging bull .454,,,Its ported from the factory. I can shoot it with one hand with no problem. I wouldn't try it if it wasn't.....
Old March 3, 2018, 07:06 PM   #5
74A95

Porting reduces muzzle rise for quicker followup shots. Gas force up means force down via Newton's laws.

They also help to reduce felt recoil, though that might be by reducing the bullet speed a little.

Either way, it is a bit more pleasant to shoot ported guns.

They might increase blast a little (might not be that noticeable to some folks).

You definitely want to keep any body parts away from the ports. The gas is hot and under very high pressure.
Old March 3, 2018, 09:48 PM   #6
NoSecondBest

I've owned several semi automatic competition guns with compensators on them (porting of sorts). They work best on the smaller calibers with lighter bullets such as the 9's and 38Supers, etc. With larger calibers they simply aren't as efficient when it comes to reducing muzzle rise between shots. Selecting the best powder for the load makes a difference also. With the right load and caliber the gun is pretty stable and allows faster follow up shots. They are more useful for shooters who shoot timed events at steel plates. I once had a Glock in 40 cal that had a ported barrel (a 23C) and it was more hype that good results. I really couldn't tell the difference between that gun and my model 23 without the ported barrel...other than the muzzle blast. It was much worse with the ported barrel.
Old March 3, 2018, 10:55 PM   #7
kmw1954

I know that porting is used with the big bore revolvers like the 44mag.

Just thinking if this is something that would be beneficial or not. I have shot a friends gun that is just like this that was not ported and it fired and felt fine. Again this gun has already been ported so it's not like I would be paying to have it done, someone else already did that.

Though I have never fired a gun that has been ported I seem to believe the upward muzzle flash can be distracting? Having thoughts here just unsure how to express it.
Old March 4, 2018, 01:03 AM   #8
BigJimP

Porting generally reduces muzzle jump...especially in a fixed frame gun like a revolver. Its a debate on whether it affects recoil or not...personally, I think it does not...

I have fired a couple of 1911's that were ported...( I think in 4" or 4.25" )...and yes, I did get more gas back towards my face and it was a little distracting ....same thing on a couple of 1911's with compensators. On a semi auto the reduction of muzzle jump is less than a revolver ...and I agree with the post that said it may slow the bullet a little...

I shoot 1911's all the time in a 5" ...no porting or compensators in .45acp and 9mm.../ my primary competition gun & carry gun is a 5" in 9mm.../..I like the balance, sight plane, feel & weight of a steel 5" gun / its what I am used to... and in my late 60's, I have considered going to a 1911 for carry in a 4.25", but I don't want an alloy frame so its only 4oz or so lighter --- and at 6'5" and 290 lbs ....will I really notice 4oz, or even 8oz...No.. I have stayed with a 5" gun...because I just shoot them a lot better than a 4" or 4.25"...

But if I wanted a 3 1/2" 1911, I would be concerned about muzzle jump slowing down my follow up shots... / ... so I might consider porting ...and just deal with the distraction....but only if I really wanted that 3 1/2" gun....
------------
I own a variety of browning shotguns with ported barrels ...and it really reduces muzzle jump in 12ga and 20ga. I like it in shotguns..but that is very different on 9 lb guns in 30" barrels. The only ported revolver I own is a 3" S&W in .44 Mag. Its an RSR gun, the Trail Boss, a 629 model...and the porting makes it easier to shoot by reducing some muzzle jump...but the gas & noise is big time distracting with full power loads ...

Last edited by BigJimP; March 4, 2018 at 01:11 AM.
Old March 4, 2018, 01:26 AM   #9
kmw1954

Thank you everyone!
This gun in question is a model I've been looking for and the price seems right or is at least in the ballpark of what I was looking to spend. Just don't feel quite as comfortable as I'd like because of the porting. Think I will have to sleep on this and ponder some more as I'm still not certain this is the way I should go..
Old March 4, 2018, 01:38 AM   #10
74A95

Here's an article on the recoil reduction of a ported pistol in case anyone is interested.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/gunsmit...s-compensator/
Old March 4, 2018, 06:29 AM   #11
Capt Rick Hiott

Here is my Taurus Raging Bull .454 with one hand. I'm shooting a factory loaded 260 Gr @ 1800 FPS hunting load by Magtech I use on hogs.

For those of you who don't know much about ported barrels,,,you should do more shooting,,,, and research....

https://youtu.be/E_Y1rd0ogWg
Old March 4, 2018, 07:58 AM   #12
cecILL

Ported barrel would not break the deal.
Old March 4, 2018, 10:07 AM   #13
kmw1954

Thanks 74A95 that was a good read.
Old March 4, 2018, 10:50 AM   #14
lockedcj7

I got a ported XD9 in a trade and I like it a lot. Many critics discount the value of porting in light calibers but it does make a noticeable difference to me. It might be all in my head, but it does seem to help.
Old March 4, 2018, 01:14 PM   #15
T. O'Heir

"...Simple explanation for doing it..." Mean you don't need to install an aftermarket compensator. Doing that alters how the slide works and you have to fiddle with springs.
"...it may slow the bullet a little..." Nope. In the microseconds between the time the bullet passes through the compensator and the gasses follow, the bullet is already out of the barrel. It has all the speed it's ever going to get. The gases do nothing but push the muzzle down.
"...a .45 ACP with a 3.5" barrel..." That'd be more of a consideration than the porting. Muzzle blast isn't going to be pleasant no matter what you do.
Old March 4, 2018, 01:31 PM   #16
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
"...it may slow the bullet a little..." Nope. In the microseconds between the time the bullet passes through the compensator and the gasses follow, the bullet is already out of the barrel. It has all the speed it's ever going to get. The gases do nothing but push the muzzle down.
You're wrong. You're confusing ports with a compensator. They are two different things.

PORTS, holes in the barrel, bleed off gas pressure while the bullet is still accelerating down the bore. Reducing this pressure reduces the bullet's speed. This is already well known. Glock even says so in their instruction manual for their 'compensated' pistols (i.e. the ones with ports) stating that in these pistols bullet velocity will be reduced. The number they give is 30 fps. https://gundigest.com/article/ported...-reduce-recoil

IPSC/USPSA competitors also know this when they get holes drilled in their barrels (popple holes) and they have to increase their powder charge to reach the same speed because of the velocity loss from venting gas from the barrel while the bullet is still in the barrel.

A compensator, the thing attached to the end of the barrel, does not reduce bullet speed.
Old March 4, 2018, 02:17 PM   #17
Paul105

Here's a youtube video made by Jerry Miculek

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...EAB9&FORM=VIRE

paul
Old March 5, 2018, 05:21 PM   #18
Capt Rick Hiott

I wouldn't have a big handgun if it wasn't ported.......
Old March 8, 2018, 04:37 PM   #19
bn12gg

If the porting is not "factory" it degrades resale $'s. Hand guns or shotguns porting does not have a major impact on muzzle jump. -- minor issue.

.02. David.
Old March 8, 2018, 04:38 PM   #20
JERRYS.

I have a S&W 640 .357. I had it ported after I tried to complete a qualification course with the round you want to carry must also be the round with which you qualify.
Old March 8, 2018, 05:20 PM   #21
bn12gg

If porting has a major impact on accuracy -- handguns or shotguns -- why don't most people drill holes in their barrels ? Or, if porting is a major accuracy issue, why don't more guns leave the factory ported ? Porting looks cool but has little impact on accuracy. I like accuracy in a firearm. My .02

David.
Old March 8, 2018, 06:14 PM   #22
kmw1954

Appreciate all the free education, it has helped.

Now that gun has been sold to someone more interested than me and I have since moved on to a nice EAA Witness full size 45acp that if everything goes well it will be to my FFL by the end of next week. Been looking for one for awhile and finally found one that fit my budget! This is an all metal model and not a poly gun. I am excited!
Old March 9, 2018, 10:25 AM   #23
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
If the porting is not "factory" it degrades resale $'s.
Not necessarily. Like many things there are well known companies who perform this service and their work is sought after. Magnaport International for one. I had a 460 Encore barrel that had been ported by magnaport and it did add value to the barrel when I sold it, but not equal to the cost of the service.

OP, hope you enjoy the EAA witness.
Old March 9, 2018, 03:06 PM   #24
bn12gg

JohnW -- Good point but an exception to the generalization that value is degraded by porting the vast majority of the time. I have a lovely Browning Side xSide. Bought it pre owned for a song. Every time I shoot clays with it I wonder just what possesed the original owner to have holes drilled in its' barrels. Fun 12g shooter.

David.
Old March 9, 2018, 06:23 PM   #25
gwpercle

My Taurus 455 came with a ported barrel. It's a 5 shot , 2 inch barrel, fixed sighted , snub nosed revolver in 45 acp. Why would porting be on a 2 inch barreled carry gun....I have no idea but I LOVE it.
It seems to recoil so much less than my 1911's...and it is so much more accurate it's scary. The 1911's are 2-3 inch grouping guns the 455 will group 15 shots into 1 5/8" one big ragged holes with no pesky fliers.
I don't know if the porting has anything to do with it but this accurate shooting gun isn't getting away from me...ever !
Gary