The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 30, 2018, 08:34 PM   #26
mrdaputer

I know for a few bucks more you can get a better red dot. I spent my for a few bucks more on my colt lol. I got a $250.00 Cabela's gift card from my work. So that is what I plan on using. I still need to stock up on ammo too.
Old March 30, 2018, 11:27 PM   #27
marine6680

Well... If you are limited to Cabela's... That's different.

First look online, they may have something there they do not have in stock at your local store.

Then... Get a Sig red dot. Cabela's sells them, and they are pretty good quality. Battery life is always highly important in my book, so I steer toward models with plenty of battery life. Vortex makes a good sight in your price range, but none have good battery life... If it will only be a range gun and not for defense use, then it's not as important to go for long battery life.
Old March 31, 2018, 09:53 AM   #28
pete2

I have astigmatism, recently bought a 1X Vortex prism. Looks good , I haven't had the chance to sight it in yet tho.
Old April 1, 2018, 08:59 AM   #29
shafter

Aimpoint would be my preference for a duty rifle, but the Sig Romeo has been a great optic for anything short of that. Much cheaper and the battery life is on par with Aimpoint.
Old April 1, 2018, 10:32 AM   #30
mrdaputer

Right now I am looking at the SIG Romeo5 part of me wants to save up for a Aimpoint. It's been cold here so I haven't been able to get out much to get use to the iron sights first
Old April 2, 2018, 11:14 AM   #31
DubC-Hicks

http://www.osagecountyguns.com/firea...-sor52001.html

I'm not sure you can really beat this deal right now.

However, the Primary Arms advanced micro dots are also very good in the $150 range
Old April 2, 2018, 01:56 PM   #32
OhioGuy

Interesting thread...general question here...

Is there an advantage to using the tubular RDS vs. the compact pistol-style?

I've seen people run small RDS on rifles like Vortex Venom, Burris Fastfire and the like.

What are the pros/cons of each style?
Old April 2, 2018, 02:19 PM   #33
spacecoast

I am really happy with the TRS-25 on my AR, replacing an EOTech, for which I received almost $500 back.
Old April 4, 2018, 05:50 AM   #34
Road_Clam

I have the Vortex Strikefire . Very happy with it, awesome dot for the money for a recreational application. Functions excellent, and has the capability of using a 2x magnifier lens attachment which is nice for shooting out to 100 yds.
Old April 4, 2018, 02:01 PM   #35
bassJAM1

Quote:
Interesting thread...general question here...

Is there an advantage to using the tubular RDS vs. the compact pistol-style?

I've seen people run small RDS on rifles like Vortex Venom, Burris Fastfire and the like.

What are the pros/cons of each style?
From what I understand, the tube type are typically a little more durable and can help reduce glare from the sun. The open type are typically a little faster on target because less of your view is blocked and are a little lighter in weight.

That's not to say the open type are not durable, or that you can't be fast on target with a tube reflex sight.
Old April 5, 2018, 10:28 AM   #36
dmattaponi

Another owner of the lowly Bushnell TRS-25 here. Seems to work just fine, and I like it. Runs around $50.
Old April 5, 2018, 10:41 AM   #37
Uncle Malice

My perspective, having owned a bunch....

For a standard red dot, I like the Primary Arms micro. I have a first gen with the rotating knob similar to the TRS that's been running hard for many years. 2 battery changes and it still works great. I have a newer Primary Arms as well with the buttons on the top. I like the buttons better than the knob and the glass is quite a bit more clear on the new one. The old one has more of a blue hinting to the glass.

I prefer the Primary Arms micro red dots over the larger ones like the Aimpoint Pro or Vortex Strikefire. I never understood the need for those larger optics that are non-magnified. If you go that large, get magnified. Similarly, I don't like the mini reflex like the RMR on rifles that much, either. They work great on pistols.

I also have an EO Tech EXPS2.0 that is fantastic. It's very fast to pick up and track. Downside is obviously cost as well as weight. It's noticeably heavier than the Primary Arms. I wouldn't get rid of it now that I own it, but I think the Primary Arms micro is the best bang for the buck.... just get a quality mount like the American Defense.

The Vortex Sparc II is also great at just a little more than the PA - it's also just a little larger and heavier, but not by much.... Vortex has an incredible no questions asked warranty service.

My recommendations are:

#1 - Primary Arms Micro red dot w/ quality mount
#2 - Vortex Sparc II
#3 - EO Tech XPS2.0/EXPS2.0 (only the *XPS* series)

Anything else I'm not really a fan of in non-magnified. I think the Aimpoint PRO is too bulky and heavy for the money. The Aimpoint Micro's are amazing optics, but they are crazy expensive. Buy once, cry once is fine if you can swing it..... but for that money, I'd probably go with the EO Tech and a roll-out magnifier.
Old April 14, 2018, 06:57 AM   #38
mrdaputer

What is the difference between ROMEO5 SOR52001 vs SOR52101 other than the type of battery? I was wondering why one was $40- $50 more.
Old April 14, 2018, 07:04 AM   #39
Mobuck

If you don't want to spend the $$ for an AimPoint, I recommend a Vortex StrikeFire II.
I don't particularly like the original StrikeFire on/off switch action or location which is why I choose the II model. They won't cost $250 either. I have a pair of the II models on AR "pistols" and they have good adjustments, hold zero, and work OK in variable light conditions. Battery life is excellent, dot clarity is good, and they seem sturdy.
Old April 14, 2018, 08:35 PM   #40
jonnyc

I did a lot of research and hunting, and ended up with a Lucid HD7, with a 2x add-on. Really happy with the look, price, and performance.
Old April 21, 2018, 11:46 AM   #41
Oni_Kadaki

I've shot Vortex SPARCs on occasion and they seem like a pretty high-quality substitute when you either can't or don't want to shell out the cash for the top-tier brands (EOTech, Aimpoint, Trijicon, Leopuld, etc.). My dad has a Sig electro-optic on his P320, and seems pretty happy with it, which makes me think a Romeo would probably be a good choice as well. I have no experience with any of the others mentioned in this thread.
Old April 22, 2018, 04:50 PM   #42
Skadoosh

My AR15 is currently running a Leupold Deltapoint Pro on a Samson mount...and I love it. That setup gets no slack and is tossed around without remorse. I have used the DPP in all kinds of weather without it missing a beat...so far the DPP has been hangin' tough. My Aimpoint H1 pretty much collects dust now in the parts bin out on my workbench. I don't miss it for a second.
Old April 22, 2018, 06:39 PM   #43
44caliberkid

I recently picked up a Holosun Red Dot that mimics the Trijicon Patrol. Works great, zeroed in a few shots, 5.56 groups at 1 inch. Got it on sale. Happy so far.
Old April 25, 2018, 05:05 PM   #44
Sturmpanzer

For a good all-weather, bust-proof red dot.....you will pay as much as you did for your rifle...retarded.. I know...Everything in the $500 and below market is directly marketed to casual shooters... Failure will be imminent in a real world scenario...
Old April 25, 2018, 09:14 PM   #45
jonnyc

In all seriousness, how many of us will ever be using our ARs in a "real world scenario"? The vast majority of us will use ours on the range, a few more for light competition, and even fewer for some kind of home defense situation. I fully trust my UTG and Lucid red dots for those types of situations. And if they fail, all my ARs have back-up irons.
Old April 25, 2018, 10:48 PM   #46
DubC-Hicks

Sturmpanzer, you consider the Aimpoint PRO, ACO, Trijicon MRO, and most EOtechs as being in the casual shooter market that will fail quickly in a real world scenario? Any experience to back this up?
Old April 26, 2018, 02:33 AM   #47
marine6680

Yeah... The eotechs, the MRO and Aimpoint PRO are all built sturdy... All $500 or less. Though some Eotech models will exceed the $500 price point, many do not.

All are going to take plenty of abuse.
Old April 26, 2018, 07:41 AM   #48
mrdaputer

I chose the Primary Arms 2 MOA. I figured it was a good quality red dot for the money. I also bought the Tipton Best Gun Vise and more ammo. I will still be using my iron sights for a few hundred more rounds. Thank you guys so much for your input. I know some of you are thinking I should have gotten a better sight. I heard the same thing when I bought my Colt 6920 that I should have bought The Daniel Defense or which ever one they had. I am happy and that is all that matters lol. Thanks again guys
Old April 26, 2018, 08:31 AM   #49
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooterjake
Aimpoint PRO
Why is the Aimpoint PRO better?
Old April 26, 2018, 04:01 PM   #50
chadio

Food for thought:

Since I like and can still do, peep sights, they are the primary / top sights on my rifle. My secondary preference would be a red dot (probably hologram, like the Burris fast fire ) on a 45 degree mount.

You simply rotate the rifle 45 degrees CCW to use the alternate sight.