The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 27, 2017, 06:52 PM   #1
baddarryl

Lithium Grease in Barrel?

Hi all. I just paid for me what is good money for a CZ 527 American in .223. I know that there is no real consensus on barrel break in and everybody has different opinions, but I was doing some reading on cleaning and accuracy and came across this site. Part 4 talks about swabbing a clean barrel with lithium grease then swabbing out to leave a light film before firing. What do you guys think of this? I would ask at least read it before chiming in. This is my first what I would call truly nice rifle and I want to treat it right. Thank you.

https://www.peregrinemonolithics.com...fore-shooting/

Last edited by baddarryl; November 27, 2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old November 27, 2017, 06:56 PM   #2
bobn

sounds like a long term storage thing. otherwise you will more than likely have a borderline barrel obstruction problem.
Old November 27, 2017, 07:14 PM   #3
CarJunkieLS1

Grease inside a barrel you're about to shoot sounds like a bad idea.
Old November 27, 2017, 07:17 PM   #4
CarJunkieLS1

To treat your barrel right, just keep it rust free and don't fire rounds fast enough to cook an egg on the barrel. You'll be fine. To clean your barrel get a high quality one piece cleaning rod, bore guide, and plastic jags. Use bore cleaners your choice.

In short keep it rust free, keep it cool, and if your gonna clean the barrel clean it the right way.
Old November 27, 2017, 08:45 PM   #5
Scorch

Light coat of oil I have heard of, light coat of grease never. Oil is much more volatile, a light coat of oil will burn away with the first shot. After that, the rifle will settle down and shoot consistently. Grease, being less volatile, will take longer to burn away. But, you know what they say: if it's on the internet, it's GOTTA be true!
Old November 27, 2017, 09:28 PM   #6
baddarryl

I know. It is the first time I had heard of it and frankly his scientific arguments are beyond my understanding. I am wondering if there is any merit to them.
Old November 27, 2017, 10:22 PM   #7
hdwhit

Quote:
baddarryl wrote:
What do you guys think of this?
Not to put too fine a point on it, I don't think the guy knows the first thing about what he is talking about. He seems to suggest that after the first shot, the lubricant is still present even though the bullet has been driven through a barrel whose lands are of smaller diameter than the bullet itself.

You want to clean a firearm after every use. And when you finish that cleaning, you want to leave a thin film of oil (or grease) in the bore to inhibit corrosion, but that film of oil (grease) is scraped off the walls of the barrel by the oversized bullet and any remnant that might happen to get left behind is combusted by the burning powder.
Old November 27, 2017, 10:39 PM   #8
hdwhit

And, yes, I know that in the last post I said:

Quote:
You want to clean a firearm after every use.
And there will inevitably be a sting of posters who follow along afterwards saying that I don't know what I'm talking about and they only clean their guns under particular circumstances, per a particular schedule or under a particular phase of the moon.

The fact of the matter is that the first round shot out of a gun strips the barrel of (essentially) all the oil/grease that was used to preserve it the last time it was cleaned. Leaving it uncleaned means that the hygroscopic (i.e. water-attracting) by-products of the powder's burning are left in the barrel.

Shoot the gun regularly and those water-attracting by-products will get pushed out of the barrel (just to be replaced by new water-attracting by-products) but get sick for a few weeks and when you return to your gun, you may not be happy with the result.

So, unless you have an accurate crystal ball, clean your gun every time.
Old November 27, 2017, 10:49 PM   #9
MarkCO

There are some old guys (like 60+ years ago) who would coat a barrel with lithium grease and then set it outside for a few days. The grease absorbed a little water and oxidized the edges of the lands and any burrs. Then they would clean it and shoot it. It was a shortcut to get a little better accuracy from barrels that were not of the highest quality to start with. I highly doubt it would yield any benefit with today's barrels.
Old November 27, 2017, 11:48 PM   #10
OzeanJaeger

When I’m done cleaning I run a patch of Kroil, and then a dry patch, but I wouldn’t put grease in my barrel. I only put grease (I use RIG) on sliding parts, and then I use a q-tip and only put a thin film.

As was mentioned, lithium grease might be good for storage, but that’s about the only reason that makes sense to me.

Removing the edges of your lands doesn’t make any sense to me. I’d rather have tool chatter and sharp rifling than than rounded lands. I know at least ten barrel makers who agree.
Old November 28, 2017, 01:20 AM   #11
Dufus

The only times I use grease in a barrel is when I am fire lapping. That grease has the grit in it.

Otherwise, it is only a protective coat of a light oil that gets removed before the next firing session.
Old November 28, 2017, 10:55 AM   #12
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
There are some old guys (like 60+ years ago) who would coat a barrel with lithium grease and then set it outside for a few days. The grease absorbed a little water and oxidized the edges of the lands and any burrs.
Grease absorbs water? Grease causes oxidation?
Old November 28, 2017, 11:06 AM   #13
kraigwy

Gen Hatcher has written a lot about greasing bullets and grease in barrels and the excessive pressure that occurs.

If you was to do some checking. Target shooters, HP, Bench Rest, ISU small bore, etc. most always never shoot matches with clean barrels. They always take a few sighting shoots.

Use to call them "fouling shots".
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 28, 2017, 11:19 AM   #14
GorillaGunworks

Quote:
Hi all. I just paid for me what is good money for a CZ 527 American in .223. I know that there is no real consensus on barrel break in and everybody has different opinions, but I was doing some reading on cleaning and accuracy and came across this site. Part 4 talks about swabbing a clean barrel with lithium grease then swabbing out to leave a light film before firing. What do you guys think of this? I would ask at least read it before chiming in. This is my first what I would call truly nice rifle and I want to treat it right. Thank you.
The only time you want to leave a light coat of Grease or oil in there is for long term storage to prevent any sort of corrosion on your land and grooves from humidity. but if you are going to be using it frequently you will be safe with passing a lightly soaked patch and running it down the barrel a few time after cleaning it. and when i say lightly soaked i mean a few drops of oil on a clean patch. just my 2 cents as a former gunsmith.
Old November 28, 2017, 11:30 AM   #15
ShootistPRS

It has been shown that a single drop of water can throw a bullets point of impact off by a large margin.
I don't even want to think of what a greased bore would do to the point of impact.
I was taught to clean the bore at the range after I finished shooting and then do a thorough cleaning when I got the rifle home running an oiled patch through the clean bore. Before putting the gun into service I run a tight patch through the bore to remove that lube and the dust(or bugs) before I fire the gun. The gilding jacket is self lubricating and doesn't require oil or grease to make it slide down the bore.
Old November 28, 2017, 12:07 PM   #16
DMK

Weren't there some old (turn of last century) military rifles that actually required greased bullets?
Old November 28, 2017, 12:12 PM   #17
ShootistPRS

Lubricated cases, not the bullets, as I recall. They needed the cases lubed in order to function in the gun at the rate of fire.
Old November 28, 2017, 12:32 PM   #18
T. O'Heir

"...Lubricated cases..." Yep. Very early M1 Rifles and other semi-auto experimentals used lubed cases. Caused more trouble than it solved. Proved to be a bad thing in the field too.
No grease or oil in the barrel except for long and short term storage respectively.
Reading only part of Hermann's dissertation won't help. Mind you, the 'About the Author' link goes to a sales page.
Old November 28, 2017, 12:38 PM   #19
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by natman View Post
Grease absorbs water? Grease causes oxidation?
Lithium Hydroxide, which is what is in Lithium grease, is hygroscopic. Yes, it absorbs water and really should not be used as a lubricant in firearms at all, especially AR15 barrel nuts.

Some other compounds used in industrial greases are also hygroscopic.
Old November 28, 2017, 08:44 PM   #20
bn12gg

My practice with any new or new to me gun is to run a boresnake thru it. No barrel obstruction therefore good to go. Shoot the gun.

.02. David.
Old November 28, 2017, 11:23 PM   #21
44 AMP
Staff

Do note that the "old timey" instructions to leave a thin coat of oil (never grease) in your bore for STORAGE, also told you to run dry patches through the bore until they came out clean, BEFORE shooting.

Grease in the barrel, ok, put cosmoline on the rest of it, and store it for 30+ years. Otherwise, no...
Old November 28, 2017, 11:25 PM   #22
Nodak1858

The Swiss shooters have used grease in barrels for many years. Take the warm barrel run a greased patch down the barrel and let it sit until the next shooting session. Then before shooting run a dry patch down to remove the grease. Worked for them, many 1911 and K31 barrels look next to new.
Here's a link with some info on it
http://theswissriflesdotcommessagebo...ml#reply-43958
Old November 29, 2017, 01:10 AM   #23
Scorch

Quote:
Weren't there some old (turn of last century) military rifles that actually required greased bullets?
Absolutely! But the grease was there to lubricate the bullets and the bore of the rifle and to keep the black powder from fouling the bore immediately. The grease was put into grooves in the bullets that were called (ready for this??) "grease grooves". They did not grease the bore, they lubricated the bullets, and called them "externally lubricated" bullets (modern jacketed bullets are called "internally lubricated").

But that has nothing at all to do with what the OP is talking about, if I understand his post correctly.
Old November 29, 2017, 01:42 AM   #24
Dufus

Quote:
Lithium grease, is hygroscopic.
Sounds like horse hockey to me.

Lithium grease is not hygroscopic.
Old November 29, 2017, 02:57 AM   #25
mete

My experience is that shooters use too much lube , whether it be oil or grease !! I've used RIG for years but lightly .Storage ? Light coating of RIG , inside rust preventative paper .It's ready to fire !