The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 27, 2019, 12:39 PM   #1
scoobysnacker

how much does caliber affect your purchases?

This is for those that have "more than a couple" guns, and add more on a regular basis. I might be one , you know if you are too.

I've recently posted in threads about the Beretta 81, and the "Is 40 dead" thread, and these both pertain to this question.

Caliber definitely drives my buying choices. I own pistols in 9mm Parabellum, 9mm Makarov, .45 acp, .32 acp, and .22lr. And despite my firm belief that I have "enough", another seems to find it's way home to me at least once every few months.

My primary category is 9x19. I have a bunch of those, with metal frames, DA/SA, or SAO. I call this my "Duty Gun" collection, and have things such as Beretta 92s, Sig P226, S&W 5906, CZ 75 etc. The single action guns were serving the same purpose- a FEG Hi Power, several Stars (a B Super and a pair of BMs). This includes my first purchase decades ago, a Chinese T 54 (Tokarev with a 9mm barrel). These seem to share several features- they are metal framed and thus 'obsolete' and cheaper to buy, they sling 9mm, and almost all served some country's military or PD; the model if not the actual gun.

My next category is 9x18, I started off again decades back with a FEG PA 63. These are the Warsaw Pact guns, surplus cheapies, with both some historical relevance and, as it turns out, are sturdy little shooters. I have the FEG, the CZ 82, an East German Makarov, a Russian doublestack Makarov, and a Polish P64.

Because of these categories, I have avoided .40 and .380. I have yet to find a .40 I couldn't get in 9mm, and thus share ammo instead of having to add more. And because the Mak is so close to .380 in size, I didn't want another "supplemental" pile of ammo that would serve the same purpose.

By avoiding the .380, I noticed that I was missing quite a few neat little pistols that didn't come in 9x18 Mak. In particular, I lusted after the Beretta Cheetah series; my favorite Mak pistol is the CZ 82, and I thought the Beretta 84 would be a great companion gun (much as the Beretta 92FS is a great companion to the CZ 75 and Sig P226).
But while looking into the .380, I discovered a suitable workaround: the .32 acp. I discovered that almost every .380 had a .32 counterpart, and that there were also a lot of neat, older pistols designed around .32 first. And best of all (justification, of course!), those older guns tended to be cheaper.

So began the .32 quest. Started off when my son found a CZ 27 at a pawn shop, when I was picking up my P226. Gun was $220, and in great shape; and was a late pre-war model (polished blue, slanted slide serrations, Czech stamping). We made it almost to the car before we turned around and added it to the purchase , and thus began yet another caliber grouping.
I quickly added a Savage 1907 for about $125, a couple more cheap CZ 27's, and a pair of Mauser 1914's. These were absolutely just range toys, and neat conversation pieces- examples of designs that weren't "Browning designs", but worked.
After awhile, I decided to get something in that group for more everyday usage, and less of an antique; the obvious choices were the Colt and the Walther. Both tended to be quite pricey, and the Colt was also veering into the antique category. Luckily for me, the "Walther option" included the FEGs- a near-perfect clone at a bargain price. So I landed an AP7 that is identical to my PA 63, but in .32.
*and of course, full disclosure: James Bond inspired my purchase of both the PA 63 and the AP7 ... I want to carry one of these while wearing a tuxedo*
Getting the FEG caused me to stock up on .32, and thus I came across a sweet deal on GECO at LAX Ammo. $159+ shipping. I bought a case, to supplement the Fiocchi and PPU I already had.

And thus, I had plenty of .32 stashed away, when the unexpected happened- the $200 Beretta 81's hit the market. Perfect storm for me- the one design I really wanted but didn't have, in the acceptable caliber I didn't have to add to the inventory list. When a buddy texted me about the sale, I went online and ordered one, before I even replied back to him.

Sorry if this rambled a bit, but I enjoy the subject a lot. I know others do too. I'm sure others have bought guns mostly to match the caliber, and have held off on a desired purchase because it was the wrong caliber. Feel free to share your tales!
Old September 27, 2019, 01:05 PM   #2
jar

I try not to add any additional calibers.

I am gradually moving towards and favoring smaller calibers.
Old September 27, 2019, 01:10 PM   #3
osbornk

Caliber is a major reason I buy what I buy. I base it on the availability and cost of the ammo. Since 9mm is the cheapest centerfire and widely available (and performs well) most of my handguns are in that caliber as well as I have a PCC carbine in that caliber. Since 22LR is the cheapest of any ammo of any caliber, I have a lot of handguns and rifles in that caliber. The cheapest revolver centerfire caliber is 38 special so I have that along with a 357 magnum revolver (because it will shoot 38 special). I also have a couple of tiny 380 semi-autos because of the availability of ammo. I have an AR-15 because it shoots the cheapest center fire rifle ammo and I have a 12 gauge because it is the cheapest shotgun ammo I can buy with the best selection and availability.

When the cheapest and most widely available calibers are also very effective, I don't see a lot of reason to buy the pricier and harder to find calibers.
Old September 27, 2019, 01:25 PM   #4
J.G. Terry

Depends on the gun

Really depends on the gun. If it's a quality piece the caliber does not matter unless it's a centerfire that cannot be reloaded.

I continue to carry my G23.4 for the duration. All this caliber flap is mainly hot air.
Old September 27, 2019, 02:05 PM   #5
AgedWarrior

I like guns that are economical to shoot. A lot of fun shooting a .22! But a lot of my choice is driven by interest in a particular caliber; they might not be the cheapest, but it is what I am interested in for any number of reasons including, hunting, target, long range and self defense. And, a particular motivator for me is the desire to load for different rifle calibers (handguns too) to load and refine accurate useful ammunition.
Old September 27, 2019, 02:35 PM   #6
TailGator

Caliber is a major part of the decision for me, as well. My situation is kind of the inverse of the OP - I already had a couple of .380s and picked up a Beretta 84 when I had a good chance. The Beretta 81 flood has been greatly tempting to me - I almost always like Berettas - but I didn't want to add a caliber so I haven't bought one. Yet.
Old September 27, 2019, 03:07 PM   #7
pblanc

Well, I have pistols chambered in 22LR, 9 mm Luger, .40 S&W, 357 SIG, and .45 ACP, and one 357 Magnum revolver.

I really have no interest in .25 ACP, .32 ACP, or 380 Auto. I just can't see a reason to buy pistols chambered for cartridges less powerful than 9 mm Luger that are usually more expensive to buy, although I do admit a longing for a Beretta Cheetah.

At this point, the only new pistol cartridge that I would entertain taking on is a 10 mm, and the only revolver cartridge a .44 Magnum. And the only reason is "just because".

I am considering buying a decent 22LR auto-loader for target shooting with inexpensive ammunition.
Old September 27, 2019, 03:52 PM   #8
Piranha451

I never wanted too many different calibers, so it is a major factor for me. However, like J.G., I have bought a firearm in a caliber I was not looking for due to the gun itself (this has only been the case two times).
Old September 27, 2019, 04:19 PM   #9
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysnacker View Post
"Some".

I aim for commonly available standard chamberings. I used to say, "what can you get at Walmart or the farm store?". Oh, well.

Quote:
Because of these categories, I have avoided .40 and .380. I have yet to find a .40 I couldn't get in 9mm, and thus share ammo instead of having to add more.
I actually avoided 9x19 for a long time. When I decided to get one I deliberatly went for the most common, well supported "nine mil", a Glock 19. And since, I've had more than a few more.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old September 27, 2019, 04:21 PM   #10
allenomics

Cartridge prices and potential future availability of calibers drive my purchase decisions. I utilize 9mm, .357, .556 and 22LR.
Old September 27, 2019, 05:08 PM   #11
10-96

It effects my decision to a degree. However, there are at least 3 different calibers that I haven't owned- .44-40, .38-40, and a .32ACP that pique my curiosity and wants. Being the SA page, I'll expound on that a bit. I may not get one... I'm fascinated more by the idea of a .32 that may not exist. I've always been impressed with the accuracy potential of the .32S&W, so I want to be able to see what the .32ACP is capable of. But alas, I have seen no equivalents of a CZ75, 1911, S&W 52, SIG 210 type pistols that could possibly demonstrate a true picture of the little cartridges potential.

All else aside, I have shied away from getting into .40, 10mm, .357 Sig, or any of those old oddballs like the NAA's, Nambu's, and such.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 27, 2019, 07:24 PM   #12
DukeConnor

I do not buy firearms based on any practical criteria. I buy firearms I find interesting and fun to shoot.
Old September 27, 2019, 08:59 PM   #13
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Yes, quite often.
Or
No, not at all.
Sometimes I buy a gun just because it is a caliber I don't have. Knowing full well it will lead to the purchase of another set of reloading dies.
Then there are the guns I find interesting, or become attracted to regardless of the caliber.
Sometimes there are the purchases that double up on both. My Gock G20 for instance. Didn't have a Glock, didn't have a 10 MM. One gun scratched both itches.
Having but a single caliber in the ammo locker makes for a boring life.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 27, 2019, 09:05 PM   #14
TXAZ

What Jar said.

I'm very happy with 9mm.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 27, 2019, 11:53 PM   #15
MGMorden

As long as it's not something really odd that you can't make ammo for (even via reloading) then it doesn't factor into my decisions much. I've already got die sets for 11 different centerfire handgun rounds so its not real common that I'm looking at something in a "new" round. I mean realistically any gun that has a "job" (carry or competition) I've already got covered so anything new is mostly bought because I'm interested in the gun from a mechanical or collectability standpoint.
Old September 28, 2019, 04:21 AM   #16
Hal

I reload so - for the most part, ammunition availability is just a set of dies away for me.

Having said that - caliber is somewhat important, but, as I've gotten older, purpose of the firearm is more of a decision maker than anything else.
Old September 28, 2019, 05:36 AM   #17
TruthTellers

Given my purchase history, caliber is what affects it the most.

I have 6 .22 pistols and am planning on a 7th with the CP33 Kel Tec, possibly an 8th in either a 3 inch LCRx or a Charter Arms revolver. Why so many in the .22? Variety of gun types due to ammo price.

I have one .25 not because I wanted a .25, but because I wanted a Raven, the original American made Saturday Night Special. They're actually not bad guns, but the Phoenix .25's today probably are better. That said, I can't justify another .25, not when they're so weak, the ammo so pricey, and .32's so much... better.

The calibers I avoid are ones I just don't see the purpose in. .41 and .44 Mag revolvers have never given me a reason to buy them over a Ruger in .45 Colt. .41 just doesn't seem enough of an improvement over .357 with the right loading, but .44... I could see myself owning one in the future, however I don't live in bear country and if I did, I'd rather just carry 10mm.

That's not just because of weight savings and higher capacities, but performance. I use to really love revolvers, but modern ones just aren't built as well as they once were and it shows on paper. When these big bore revolvers are costing $800 and a $600 Glock is beating them, I see no reason to buy more revolvers, let alone in calibers I don't have an interest in, nor does ammo availability bother me as I reload for all my revolvers.

Semi auto calibers I avoid are .357 Sig and .45 ACP. .357 Sig isn't worth the price it costs and it doesn't preform well at long distance and at close distances, I don't see how it's better vs a .40 or 10mm. It's a PITA to reload too. .45 ACP I just think is obsolete, it does nothing a 9mm or .40 or 10mm can't do better other than suppressor work.

I have 9mm, .40, and will be getting a 10mm Glock in the next few months. I want a 10mm because I want a 10mm, no other reason. Given I have a few .40 guns and the 10mm dies also reload .40 and I intend to reload 10mm, no reason not to also reload .40 and use the same bullets.

Do I prefer .40 over 9mm? Sometimes. I like 9mm in single stack conceal carry guns, but like .40 or 10mm in full size double stack pistols for when concealment is not important. Some like having a one size fits all caliber... to me you have to play to a gun's strength. If you're in a combat zone and your sidearm choice is a 9mm or a 10mm, which are you going to choose? If you're going to the store for milk in San Fransisco and you have to swim thru syringes to get there are you going to be toting a .500 Magnum or an LCP?

Speaking of .50 calibers, I see nothing they do for me vs a hot loaded .45 Colt or .454 Casull. I'm not a handgun hunter, I don't hunt in Africa, I don't need it and don't need to brag about owning a .50.

I brag about wanting to own a Hi Point because I believe that the stone the builders rejected should be the cornerstone.

So the oddest of all calibers that I have that make no sense by my criteria is .32. I like it because I like it, but also because I think it has some advantages over other calibers. In a revolver, you get more shots in a similar size gun in .38/.357 and have less recoil (especially in .32 H&R Mag.) Then in a lever action the .327 really shines given its flat trajectory, but it's also great for low power loads and I see no reason not to have a rifle/carbine in the same chamber as your handguns.

Then for semi autos, the .32 ACP while not a powerhouse, is still effective in certain pistols like the Kel Tec P32 and just nice to shoot for fun. I think .32 ACP has potential as a target pistol caliber, but nobody else does because it's not a .22 or 9mm, thus nobody will pay "a buck a round for .32" or some other nonsense reason.

The great thing about .32 is because it "costs a buck a round" and isn't as powerful as 9mm, it's regarded as useless and is priced accordingly.

Kind of like the Geo Metro. Oh, it's a 3 cylinder, 1 Liter engine and takes 16 seconds to go from 0-60... yeah, because that figure is so important when your commute is bumper to bumper traffic most of the way.

Yes, I just admitted I want a Geo Metro because stone the builders refused should be the cornerstone... yada yada.

So, I buy calibers that make sense to me, but I also buy calibers that interest me. Something like 7.62x25 while not being available in many guns and not being as powerful as .357 Sig... it's so fast and the guns so cheap that it's worth me trying just for the sake of trying it. Same could be said for .22 TCM, but .22 TCM doesn't have that historical factor going for it.
Old September 28, 2019, 06:45 AM   #18
Ibmikey

As to the question, I would not buy a .22 if I were looking for a 9mm defensive pistol and in reverse I would not purchase a 9 mm compact pistol to shoot competition small bore. I normally build my pistol around the chosen caliber, so the caliber is fixed but the choice in handgun brands remains open, if no offering in my chosen caliber that brand is simply eliminated from my choices.
So once again I pick my caliber and then fit the pistol to it.
Old September 28, 2019, 07:02 AM   #19
MTT TL

I buy pistols strictly for personal defense and 22 target shooting. Therefore all of mine are 380 and larger or 22lr. For personal defense pistols I buy the most effective caliber that I can shoot quickly and accurately based upon the gun design. How quickly and accurately I shoot it is going to be based at least in part on caliber.
Old September 28, 2019, 11:01 AM   #20
pete2

Caliber and actual gun are important to me. My 1911 guns are .45 and 9 MM, can't think of a reason to ever get a 40, 38S or 10 MM. Revolvers are .22, 38, 357, .45, might buy 9 MM or .327. Also have 9 MM guns, Ruger, Glock, Beretta, again no plans for other calibers. I would buy a PPK in .380 or .32 tho. Might buy an old S&W or Colt in 38S&W if the right deal comes along.
Old September 28, 2019, 11:17 AM   #21
Jim Watson

A lot.
I wouldn't be without .22, .38, and 9mm.
I have .32, 380, .44, and 45 but would not do it over. Well, maybe a dinky pocket .380 to go places a .38 snub wouldn't.
Old September 28, 2019, 12:44 PM   #22
44 AMP
Staff

Caliber does affect my purchases, a bit. If I don't already have one, I might buy a gun in a caliber I am interested in. But the other side of that coin is larger, for me. I won't buy a gun in a caliber I'm NOT interested in.

And, I won't buy a gun I'm not interested in, no matter what caliber it is.

I will, however, accept one as a gift....
Old September 28, 2019, 03:28 PM   #23
Blue Duck

I have most of the common calibers chambered in something i own. I don't buy much based on caliber, because I own or have owned about every caliber that's interesting at one time or another.
It's more like I buy a gun if I want it, in caliber, that makes the most sense for that gun.

If it's a Model 94 Winchester, then I probably won't buy anything that's not chambered in 30/30. If it's a 1911, then I probably won't consider any more that are not in 45 acp, and I do own 1911's in 9mm, 10mm and .22 but the vast majority are 45's and will always be so.
Shotguns will most always be in 12ga for me, and I have owned all of the gages in the past, and still have a few others.
Ruger singleactions; and Smith doubleactions, I probably won't consider anything but .22, .22 mag, 38 special, .357 mag, 44 mag or 45 colt, but if the right .41 mag came along, then I might make and exception.

Boltaction centerfires; anymore, I am planning on reducing to and staying with only a few common centerfires.
But some Boltactions I really have no desire for, such as .223, .762 x 39, 44mag, 45/70 (love the 45/70 in a leveraction, though).
But in the end, I am looking to cut down to just a few common caliber, for the most part. And I don't get all hot and bothered on the new upstarts like the 6.5 Creedmore, or stuff like the .350 Legend, but maybe just maybe if I ran across just the right gun, in an odd or new caliber, well maybe, but I am about done on add another caliber to buy or load for.
Old September 28, 2019, 10:38 PM   #24
JWT

I'm more interesting in the manufacturer than the caliber in any additional purchases i make.
Old September 29, 2019, 12:18 AM   #25
Hawg

These days my choices would .22 LR, .38 Special, 44-40 and .45 ACP. I have no desire to own another .380 or 9 MM. I have never wanted a 40 or 10 MM. I do still have a couple of .25's but I never shoot them.