The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 5, 2018, 08:31 AM   #1
TrueBlue711

Best USGI AR mags?

One of my rifles is the FS2000. If you don't know much about the gun, it only accepts standard USGI mags. Can't use Magpul or any other more modern AR mags (unless I permanently alter the rifle, which I don't want to do). I have quite a few USGI mags, but I'm starting to find out many of them aren't reliable. I even replaced all of the followers with the anti-tilt followers.

So, I plan on getting a few more USGI mags to replace the ones I find to be unreliable. What are some good companies who make good USGI mags known for reliability? Hopefully under $15 a mag.

Last edited by TrueBlue711; June 5, 2018 at 08:37 AM.
Old June 7, 2018, 08:23 AM   #2
rpseraph

I have never had problems with a pile of Brownell USGI mags. They have the anti-tilt followers, great price (I think I got them on sale for $9.99)
Old June 7, 2018, 02:06 PM   #3
cannonfire

I’m a huge fan of the Teflon coated USGI mags with the magpul anti tilt followers. As already said, they were about $9.99 each. I prefer USGI mags over PMags. I would look for any USGI mag that has the anti tilt followers. The biggest problem with USGI mags are the followers and spring.
Old June 7, 2018, 09:52 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

I run mostly D&H mags. I have a couple steel bodies, but most are aluminum.
All came with anti-tilt followers and decent springs.

I believe I can honestly say that the only malfunctions I've ever had with them were caused by me trying to run a cartridge overall length that was well beyond maximum.
...And, when needed, the aluminum bodies are much easier to modify than the steel ones. (I color outside the lines sometimes, and play with uncommon or wildcat cartridges...)

Even in ARs known to be more prone to feed issues, I don't think I've ever had a single bobble with the D&Hs.

There are many other brands out there to choose from, as well - including Brownell's - but the majority of everything other than polymer mags, C-products, ASC, and Colt are all the same: They're all made by D&H.