The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 20, 2019, 07:22 PM   #1
jrinne0430

Virginia’s ban troubles

These proposals will be brought up during the January legislative session. Since the antis from the populated north and out of state money now controls Virginia’s legislative body, there is a good chance of this garbage passing. It’s painful to read but all Virginians, and the any in the remaining free states, needs to see what’s coming. As you will see, they are not just coming after firearms. Please share and support the VCDL as they will need all of our support to challenge these proposed laws.

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?201+ful+HB2

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp...e?201+ful+SB16

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?201+lst+ALL
Old November 21, 2019, 10:34 AM   #2
USNRet93

Not a resident of Virginia but seems like, as has been mentioned, a little too little, a little too late.

30 seats uncontested by the GOP? It's OK to blame $ and the 'north' of Virginia but what happened to the Virginia GOP State committee, the RPV?
https://virginia.gop/
Quote:
Please share and support the VCDL as they will need all of our support to challenge these proposed laws.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 21, 2019, 01:11 PM   #3
jrinne0430

The northern part of Virginia has a very high population and is full of transplants and immigrants both legal and illegal. This has attracted the attention from out of state money which pumped in millions of dollars to influence the elections. The winners of this election will re-draw the district maps next year to ensure they remain in power for decades. These same money power houses are coming after your CO Sen. Cory Gardner https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...inia-elections. A month ago, I thought this could never happen here, I believed this could it only happens out west or in the northeast...no one is safe.

For those who wish to help, please donate money and time to https://vcdl.org/ and https://www.nraila.org/

Last edited by jrinne0430; November 21, 2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old November 21, 2019, 03:01 PM   #4
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrinne0430 View Post
The northern part of Virginia has a very high population and is full of transplants and immigrants both legal and illegal. This has attracted the attention from out of state money which pumped in millions of dollars to influence the elections. The winners of this election will re-draw the district maps next year to ensure they remain in power for decades. These same money power houses are coming after your CO Sen. Cory Gardner https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...inia-elections. A month ago, I thought this could never happen here, I believed this could it only happens out west or in the northeast...no one is safe.

For those who wish to help, please donate money and time to https://vcdl.org/ and https://www.nraila.org/
Well, the election was a popular vote, correct? And to vote for a GOP candidate, they need to run, correct?
Quote:
A month ago, I thought this could never happen here
Pretty sure those uncontested seats were identified a month ago.

I really doubt illegal voting by undocumented people swung the vote..Transplants? Citizens, correct? Are you saying if the 'illegal voting' was eliminated, the VA government wouldn't have swung so far to the Dem side?
According to what I found, about 1900 'illegal' people voted in VA over the last DECADE.

I'm an outsider but.....no doubt it's YUGELY about $...The $ is there, seems like the GOP needs to do this.
Quote:
In addition to funding an ad campaign, volunteers made more than 100,000 calls, knocked on tens of thousands of doors and sent more than 100,000 texts to reach voters across the state, including rural, suburban and urban areas, Watts said.
Yup, money, an organization, GOOD CANDIDATES....

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 21, 2019, 03:13 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

I kind of liked the part where they will suspend a kid's driver's license if they cut school too much...

Did you realize that a Desert Eagle becomes an "assault firearm" because it is too HEAVY!! ??
(they are a handgun that accepts a detachable magazine and weigh more than 50oz unloaded)

A great many of the things in the linked proposals became law in my state, last election cycle, AFTER being defeated in the legislature during multiple election cycles, they became law by being passed as a voter initiative.

Democracy at work, don't ya know!

Democracy is a great ideal, but its not the best possible thing at all times. Remember that 3 wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner is also democracy!!

The Founding Fathers gave us a REPUBLIC, if we could keep it. Seems like we're doing a poor job these days....
Old November 21, 2019, 03:57 PM   #6
JERRYS.

some folks want to blame democrat money and voting for the fall of Virginia, but I ask why didn't Republicans use the same strategy?
Old November 21, 2019, 07:31 PM   #7
jrinne0430

VCDL will also be holding a rally on 20 Jan 2020. If you live in VA, please attend...take time off if needed. Also, many counties are declaring themselves 2nd amendment sanctuaries...view VCDL’s website for more details. They are fighting for us both legislatively and with the likely court challenges to follow. If this thread needs to be moved to the general discussion forum let’s move it.

Last edited by jrinne0430; November 21, 2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old November 21, 2019, 11:31 PM   #8
osbornk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
some folks want to blame democrat money and voting for the fall of Virginia, but I ask why didn't Republicans use the same strategy?
Millions of dollars in out of state money is part of the problem but changing demographics due to immigrants and carpetbaggers moving to Northern and Eastern Virginia is most of the reason. It's not as much the number of voters (I think there were over 37,000 more Republicans voting than Democrats) but the distribution of them. When you have Republicans getting between 75% and 95% of the votes in the western end of the state, the other end of the state gets most of the representation because the votes are spread out over a wider area. The Democrats didn't spend a dime west of Roanoke because they knew the money would be better spent where the most population lives.
Old November 22, 2019, 03:34 PM   #9
5whiskey

Quote:
I really doubt illegal voting by undocumented people swung the vote..Transplants? Citizens, correct?
I agree with the sentiment that illegals likely didn’t swing the vote. I will say the 1900 illegal voters in the past decade is only the ones identified. I’m not saying that illegal votes sway and swing elections on a routine basis, but illegal voting does happen. Any reported numbers are of identified cases only.

And to the transplant issue. I live near the triangle of NC (Raleigh Durham area). I grew up here in a rural county near the area. There are a large number of the “transplants” described here as well. While not bad people for the most part, and no one can really blame a person for moving for a better opportunity/job/life, I have had numerous conversations that go about like this...

Transplant: yeah I love it here, the cost of living is so much less than where I came from and the tax rate is less than half.
Me: I’m glad you like it here. I was born and raised here it’s home to me and I love it.
Transplant: I only wish the school would provide transportation for my son though. He has to go to an out of district school because lacrosse isn’t offered in district. It puts a real hassle on me to drop him off and pick him up.
Me: well I understand the hassle but that’s just how it is. You once couldn’t move your child just over a sport but that’s a recent...
Transplant: yeah I know can you believe that? And also the state took entirely too long to clear the roads after that snow storm last week. My neighborhood street wasn’t plowed for like 4 days.
Me: I mean it only snowed 4 inches and I recall it all melting in 2 days, like every other snow in this area the past 10 years.
Transplant: yeah but they should really invest more in the DOT to clear that up. And one more thing, why do I have to pay more to recycle that’s crazy?
Me: because the sorting involved in recycling basically means you have to pay someone to take the stuff because of the labor involved in processing. It’s great for the environment but it’s not free...
Transplant: but that was free where I’m from, it was covered by the town...
Me: the town you told me you didn’t like because of the tax rate and high cost of living? I wonder why...
Transplant: ... ... ok but do all of you shoot guns in random fields. I heard gun shots the other day and I was petrified. The police said it was common and legal if the bullets don’t cross property lines, but I don’t like it. That shouldn’t be legal
Me: I bet it was illegal where you came from wasn’t it. Have a good day sir/ma’am I must go.

And no, I’m not exaggerating. West Texas is full of transplants from California seeking lower cost of living (ie a place they can afford to live), only for them to be shocked at how things are done in Texas. Conforming to local customs is expected of us in other cultures, yet it’s considered in poor taste if we expect others to conform to our way of life?

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old November 22, 2019, 04:02 PM   #10
USNRet93

I get it but that doesn’t explain the lack of perceived effort on the part of the Va state GOP.
It is what it is, ‘transplant’ and eastern city demographics. Recognize the challenge and at least appear like the GOP is making an effort. Toothpaste is outta the tube. Time to look to a more effective future campaign season. Again in 2020, no?

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 21, 2019, 08:41 AM   #11
jimdeere

https://www.vpap.org/elections/senate/district_map/
Looking at the map, the blue district to the left is the one I live in. To the right of that blue blob is the City of Roanoke. Roanoke has a population of over 120,000. The rest of the district is mostly rural. Looking at the odd shape of my district, do you thing there’s something odd?

The republicans did not run a candidate for state senate in my district this time around. But a Libertarian whom no one had heard of got nearly 20% of the vote. The state Republican party has written us off. Maybe they should have given some money to the libertarian if they couldn’t field a candidate.
Old December 21, 2019, 09:30 AM   #12
thallub

Gunowners in Virginia blew off the election, believing the Republicans would save them again. Now they are making excuses.

Virginia gunowners failed to do the math. They ignored or forgot that the Republican party had a tenuous hold on the legislature, holding the VA Senate 21-19 and The House 51-48.
Old December 21, 2019, 10:55 AM   #13
noelf2

As a Virginian, and an American, I look at it this way. The constitution isn't subject to a state election. Nobody should feel the need to vote for their constitutional rights. When tyrany shows its face, it's not a vote that will stop it. Only action will. This action is just the beginning of a movement that could put an end to unconstitutional overreach by overconfident tyrants that are financed by billionaire zealots. More states will get involved and the people's response will not be forgotten for a long time.
Old December 21, 2019, 12:08 PM   #14
davidsog

Quote:
The constitution isn't subject to a state election.
Bingo.
Old December 21, 2019, 09:56 PM   #15
sparkyv

Quote:

This is happening in Texas too, right before our very eyes. Don't think that it can't happen to you!
Old December 24, 2019, 12:45 PM   #16
kmw1954

"30 seats uncontested by the GOP? It's OK to blame $ and the 'north' of Virginia but what happened to the Virginia GOP State committee,"

Since I retired in 2015 I have started and have instructed my children that when the go to vote and they see an unopposed candidate to write my name in. I may not win but they are no longer unopposed! Even in local elections.
Old December 24, 2019, 05:35 PM   #17
FITASC

Quote:
Where was the NRA? This is on their backyard
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 24, 2019, 09:25 PM   #18
cookie5

It is bad ! i have watched the creeping end of the second amendment rights as well as the diminishing of others . I have been watching this for decades. Californians have acquiesced into the slow gun ban boil . The politician and government employee crime gang is never a friend. Your rights or their one of many retirement packages? count on the retirement packages
Old December 25, 2019, 11:14 AM   #19
Mike38

Quote:
"30 seats uncontested by the GOP? It's OK to blame $ and the 'north' of Virginia but what happened to the Virginia GOP State committee,"
Probably not an exaggeration, but to run for something as simple as a state level congressman, it takes north of one million dollars. Does the Virginia GOP state committee have $30 million lying around? Probably not.

Quote:

Lapierre is too busy buying $10K suits with our money to bother with trivial things like our constitutional rights.
Old December 25, 2019, 10:57 PM   #20
pturner67

Quote:
These proposals will be brought up during the January legislative session. Since the antis from the populated north and out of state money now controls Virginia’s legislative body, there is a good chance of this garbage passing. It’s painful to read but all Virginians, and the any in the remaining free states, needs to see what’s coming. As you will see, they are not just coming after firearms. Please share and support the VCDL as they will need all of our support to challenge these proposed laws.

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?201+ful+HB2

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp...e?201+ful+SB16

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?201+lst+ALL
I'm curious what Northern VA and DC are going to do when lots of government and government contractors (like me) who have Secret and Top Secret clearances are labeled felons because they won't give up their scary weapons. As a felon, your clearance is sure to be taken away. And, so will the ability to do your job on the classified contracts. I don't think the new brilliant Virginia leadership has thought about this issue. They thought it was tough before to get cleared workers. This will be a disaster. It seems half the DC/NoVA population has a security clearance.

jrinne, take that info to the legislative session. And also let them know that Connolly stated that "the law is the law" and that police have a duty to enforce whatever law is there. I choose to understand that he MUST be talking about enforcing immigration law. Right?
Old December 25, 2019, 11:57 PM   #21
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
don't blame a national group for the failing of a state group. democrats have taken the majority in the state house, the state senate, and now the governorship. that is not the NRA's fault.
Old December 25, 2019, 11:59 PM   #22
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pturner67 View Post
I'm curious what Northern VA and DC are going to do when lots of government and government contractors (like me) who have Secret and Top Secret clearances are labeled felons because they won't give up their scary weapons. As a felon, your clearance is sure to be taken away. And, so will the ability to do your job on the classified contracts. I don't think the new brilliant Virginia leadership has thought about this issue. They thought it was tough before to get cleared workers. This will be a disaster. It seems half the DC/NoVA population has a security clearance.

jrinne, take that info to the legislative session. And also let them know that Connolly stated that "the law is the law" and that police have a duty to enforce whatever law is there. I choose to understand that he MUST be talking about enforcing immigration law. Right?
you will be fired and replaced or you will comply with the new laws. simple. don't kid yourself into thinking you're not replaceable in the establishment's eyes.
Old December 26, 2019, 03:22 PM   #23
osbornk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
The NRA is here in Virginia in the bluest of the blue part of the state only because it is near DC. I have lived in Virginia all of my 72 years, have been a NRA member for years and the NRA might as well be in California for all of they good they have done for us.
They claim to be in Virginia but it might as well be a mail drop for the good it does us.
Old December 30, 2019, 01:15 PM   #24
jrinne0430

VA now has 114 sanctuary counties and cities! Excellent work for just over a month! Although much attention has been drawn to Christmas, next month things are goin to pick up especially when the legislative session meets again...let's remain focused. Don't forget about the big rally in Richmond on 20 Jan 2020. There maybe some seats left on some buses if you wish to use them. I know a few are sold out. See VCDL.ORG for details.
Old December 30, 2019, 07:12 PM   #25
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
VA now has 114 sanctuary counties and cities!
That's all well and good, but these resolutions are toothless at best and dangerous at worst. If it comes to a clash between state and county officials, are these sheriffs really going to back their statements with force? What then?

Consider the recent failure of these sanctuary policies in Kansas.