The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 11, 2001, 05:04 PM   #1
exilefromhell

Which one of these brands of ammo to choose for HD?

Sellier & Bellot 12 gauge 00 Buckshot clear shell
OR
Winchester Super-X magnum Buckshot Loads

BOTH 12Ga OO buck 2 3/4" and the same price.

OH the S&B is a 10rd box as the Win is a 5rd box.

Thanks

Or just pick up the walmart $4 box of Federal?
Old December 11, 2001, 05:09 PM   #2
swampgator

The local Wal-Mart has

15 rd boxes of Winchester 2 3/4" 00 on special for $5.97
15 rd boxes of Remington 2 3/4" 00 on special for $7.97
5 rd boxes of Federal 2 3/4" for normal price of $3.97

As for which, buy a box of each of the rounds you want and pattern the gun with them. Let that be the determining factor.
Old December 11, 2001, 05:11 PM   #3
exilefromhell

my walmart sucks in comparison then.
Old December 11, 2001, 05:39 PM   #4
swampgator

Then you should take a day and drive down.

It's not that far really. Actually call around. The Wal Mart Supercenter in Lake City is a hunter's dream. Ammo is plentiful and the selection is better there than the Gainesville stores.

The specials vary depending on the stores. A few years back I loaded up on Win 1 oz slugs 15 rd box for $5. Just keep an eye out and be prepared to spend when you find the deals.

I suspect some of the stores in the outlying rural areas, poss Alabama, would be better for you. Stick with areas that have a large population of hunters.
Old December 11, 2001, 06:16 PM   #5
exilefromhell

thanks!
Old December 11, 2001, 11:48 PM   #6
Jager1

I have both but consider the Winchester 00 Buck 9 pellet (XB1200, I think) the staple diet of my 870's ($2.50 box/5). I prefer 01 buck 12 pellet, but it is too scarce or expensive.

The S&B is notably less expensive ($55 case/200) and has patterned reasonably well thus far. It makes great practice ammunition. HD SG is loaded with them right now.

Those prices at Walmart are exceptional. Wish I could take advantage of them.
Old December 12, 2001, 02:41 AM   #7
Zorro

Inside the House? a Federal 1 Oz Game load #6 Shot.
Old December 12, 2001, 06:12 AM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

What Erick said.

Each shotgun's a law unto itself as to what works best. Buy a couple boxes, run some pattern tests, buy a messa whatever is tightest. The most expensive load out there will not break the bank.

Since this is a HD load, use a long tape and measure the longest possible distance for a shot opp inside your house, add a yard for GPs and pattern at that distance. My guess is that unless you live in an abandoned high school gym or subway station, patterns at your longest distance will be one bore sized hole. This is why "Serious" shotguns get AIMED.

Also why many of us believe a less penetrative load like birdshot is a good choice for HD, at least for "First Up"...

In fact, a load of breath mints oughta work at inside range. Shotguns dump impressive amounts of energy into a target.

Skip the magnums,here's where the term "Overkill" really means something. All they'll do is build a flinch and go through your discretionary income faster.

Check the Archives, lots of good input there...
Old December 12, 2001, 12:14 PM   #9
Kharn

You want anything labled "Pink, Fuzzy, Soft, Lovable, Disadvantaged Youth Assisting Breath Mints" Walmart might have to special order it for you, but any reputable gunshow will have hundreds of cases of it, right next to the Gunshow loophole and those "automatic assault revolvers" that you hear about on the news every day.

Kharn
Old December 12, 2001, 12:17 PM   #10
exilefromhell

thanks. i've read all the notes on which kind of load and what size. i just wanted some inputs on which 00buck would have been better than the other. thanks though!
Old December 12, 2001, 01:16 PM   #11
Coronach

You know, someone from here with a reloading set up needs to work up a few breath mint loads. Mentos for buckshot, tic tacs for birdshot, and then do some pattern and penetration testing.

I'll buy you a beer if you do it, and post the results, with pictures.

Mike

PS Oh, hey, semi-serious off-topic question (the reloading setup refernce brought it to the forefront of my jumbled mind): does anyone know a good source for weighted dummy rounds? That is, rounds that weigh the same as real rounds, but are fake. Yes, yes, I know...a reloader should be able to churn out a few easy. I don't reload. (yet). I have tried snap caps but 1. they're lighter and 2. they're expensive (relatively). I'm looking for 12g and .45 ACP. Thx

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old December 12, 2001, 05:54 PM   #12
Jim Watson

Brownell's sells dummy rounds for function check.