The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 3, 2017, 08:33 PM   #1
MrBlue

German Translation & .45-70 Help?

Hi, I'm new to the forums and have a recent acquaintance in Germany who is an avid Cowboy Action shooter with an impressive collection of replicas. His Uberti Sharps (in .45-70) is an impressive piece and groups very nicely at 50m but groups like a shotgun at 100m.
I imagine that there are lots of people who have dealt with similar situations.

I wondered if there is anyone who can translate load data and other information into German who would be willing to help. The load data is standard grains etc. but I fear that there must be some pieces that he is missing, but my experience doesn't go into BPC or the .45-70 and my German isn't anywhere near what he needs.
Appreciate any and all help!
Old October 4, 2017, 10:31 AM   #2
Oliver Sudden

I don't speak German but would help by first asking what is his load and how does he put it together. Example, does he use black powder, what bullet, lube and primer. The use of a drop tube is important and trying to compress powder with the bullet will destroy accuracy. I'm told more Germans speak English so may be he can find some one there to translate.
Old October 4, 2017, 09:06 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Why not ask Uberti? It may be a matter of the rifling twist or the velocity; at best, we would only be guessing on the cause.

Jim
Old October 5, 2017, 10:16 AM   #4
Jim Watson

If he has English, tell him to sign up here and describe what he is doing now.
Powder, bullet, lube etc etc.

Ask Uberti?
If you go to Uberti.com and look up the Sharps and download the manual, you will learn two things:
1. You get a Pedersoli manual. Uberti and Pedersoli are in cahoots, Uberti Sharps are made for them by Pedersoli. Pedersoli Highwalls are Uberti receivers with Pedersoli barrels and their funny single set trigger.

2. They say to use factory ammunition only. There will be no company guidance on handloads.

Last edited by Jim Watson; October 5, 2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old October 14, 2017, 08:41 AM   #5
MrBlue

Thanks for your replies!
Old October 14, 2017, 10:03 AM   #6
NoSecondBest

If he's shooting cast bullets he's probably shooting undersized bullets and needs to slug the bore. Also, if he's shooting very low velocity rounds he may not be getting enough spin on them to stabilize at the longer distances. I tried using Trail Boss in one of my 45-70 rifles and it shot "well enough" at 50 yards and would miss the backstop at 100 yds. Upping the powder charge helped, quitting Trail Boss helped, and using the right size bullet in the gun fixed the problem. With cast you need to be at least .001" over bore size and the base of the bullet needs to be flat and over bore size....don't just measure in the middle.
Old October 14, 2017, 08:06 PM   #7
prof marvel

My Good MrBlue-

by all means encourage Seine Neue Freund to sign up and ask here, between his attempts at English ( even via Google Translate) and our smatterings of Deutsch I am sure we can at least entertain him, and possibley help him out and/or point him to a useful German site :-)
yhs
prof marvel
Old December 30, 2017, 02:18 PM   #8
MrBlue

Many thanks!

All of your ideas are good starts. I thank you! Apologies on my late reply.
I'm reminded once again of how giving the shooting community is
Good people, good people. I hope each of you has many children, we need lots more good folks in this world!
My very best wishes for a safe and prosperous new year!
Old December 30, 2017, 09:04 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Danke Herr Professor_Marvel.
Old January 2, 2018, 03:27 AM   #10
prof marvel

Bitte Sehr Gary!
Frohes neues Jahr!
Happy New Year!
to everyone

yhs prof marvel
Old January 3, 2018, 11:56 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, NoSecondBest,

Don't you mean groove diameter, not bore diameter? The gun is a Sharps repro breech loader, meaning the bullets have to be engraved by being cast to groove diameter then forced through the barrel by the gas pressure from the burning powder. (A muzzle loader has to use bullets small enough to be easily loaded, so the bullets have to be smaller than bore diameter; how much smaller depends on several factors including whether a patch is used.)

Jim
Old January 5, 2018, 08:26 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

Froeliche Weinachten und eine huebsches Neue Jahr!

happy to help any way we can. Technical translations can be a challenge.
Translation can be complicated and more than just converting English to Metric. Not insurmountable, but it can be frustrating, until both sides understand just what it is that is being talked about.

Bore measurement is one example. We have enough confusion whether we mean land to land or groove to groove when we are all speaking English!

Reloading data (US) might not be all that useful to those who can't get the same components we use.

German gun terms are interesting to me, and somewhat humorous, when you understand the literal translations. And they are consistent with the rules of German grammar and nomenclature. The barrel is what the bullet "runs" through (laufen =running), and the hammer is that thing you cock (Hahn = rooster, cock, male chicken, you figure it out through context, ) Lots of fun possible here!

Tags
.45-70 translate german