The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 29, 2017, 10:48 PM   #1
Doc Holliday 1950

EEA 357 2"

Has anyone bought a EEA 2" 357 mag Windicator recently? If so, what is your opinion on your purchase? Does it do what you wanted it to do? Does is go Bang
everytime & is it accurate at 25 feet or less? Last, would you trust this to be a decent backup for SD?

Doc
Old September 30, 2017, 12:43 AM   #2
Kwik2010

I actually had one for a while a couple years ago. Depending on what you consider recent. I bought it with absolutely no knowledge of the firearm and it was a great deal. If I remember correctly I paid 175 for it. It went bang every time and was as accurate as I was as long as I did my part. I wish I'd a kept it. If not for anything else, as a pickup gun. It was a little thick compared to some others but weight never really bothered me. The only complaint I ever really had was that the cylinder would bind up during any shooting stint that lasted more than about a cylinder or two. I didn't have any feeler gauges but just from eyeballing it, it was a really close fit between the cylinder and the forcing cone. I could barely see light through it freshly cleaned and holding a flashlight behind it. Carbon buildup would kill my range trip if I didn't bring a brush with me. That might be a rare occurrence but I've heard of it before with this particular firearm.
Old September 30, 2017, 10:01 PM   #3
Prof Young

What Kwik said . . .

I bought a new Windicator just a couple months ago. Shooting 38 spl out of it I am more accurate than any of my 9mm semi autos. If you get a bit of dirt build up it does bind up a touch. I paid just over $300 for mine. I really like it.

Hang on tight when you shoot the 357.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old October 1, 2017, 07:51 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

Great guns for the $$$ Doc.
PM sent
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 4, 2017, 10:18 AM   #5
shurshot

I bought a "Vindicator" this August after researching it. I'm very happy with it. Its not the same as a snub Colt Lawman .357 or SW 19 snub, as far as fit, finish and pride of ownership. But for around $300, its a nice durable weapon, and it's one Hell of a deal! German steel, heavy duty, super tight action, bluing isn't bad, rubber grips are comforting, fit my hand good. I actually really like the grip, as it absorbs the snappy magnum recoil quite well. Accurate for fixed sights (which I prefer over adjustable on a snubby CCW anyhow). I put .38 158's and .357 125 Magnums through it in my field, both rounds blistering repeatedly through an empty Flex seal can at 15 yards. If I can hit a rabbit sized target at 20 yards or less, I'm happy as I like my CCW's to double as trail guns when the mood strikes to take a stroll in the woods. If a varmint or edible and legal small game is spotted, I like the ability to shoot and hit my target. I put a couple coats of high visibility orange fingernail polish on my front sight, covered that with clear nail polish. Action is very tight, trigger ok. Double action is heavy, but managable for the type of shooting I was doing and I shot it as well double action as I do my more exspensive revolvers. Overall quality reminds me of Rossi and or Taurus in the mid 1980's (I thought they made better guns then), quite good and superb value for the price, and better than Charter Arms in my opinion. Great truck gun, hiking gun, or CCW for citizen or LEO off duty. Cylinder rotates same direction as a Colt, but release pushes forward like a Smith & Wesson. Yes, I carry mine in a high rise holster (leather HW brand) and with a couple of speedloaders or speedstrips would trust it as much as I would one of my other more exspensive revolvers. Frame size is appx. the same as a S&W K frame snubby Combat Magnum... as far as holsters, so I'm guessing just like Bill Jordan had suggested for the mod 19, this size gun should be primarily shot with .38's, and save the hot .357's for occasional use and self defense. Now to be honest, It doesn't get me all warm and fuzzy when I fondle it as I get when I handle my S&W 629 Talo .44 mag, my 642, or one of my other S&W's. The Windicator (pronounced "Vindicator" in German), is not a "sexy" gun in my eyes, at least not like a S&W if you know what I mean. But it is a rugged all steel .357 that serves its purpose. Some might call it heavy, but if you like a 686 or 629 snub for CCW, the Windicator feels light. That being said, it's too heavy for a pocket (unless its a big winter coat with deep pockets), and a good leather high rise holster handles it well. Muzzle has been cut and left un-blued, due to import restrictions. A couple coats of cold bluing will fix that, and for the price, who can complain?

Last edited by shurshot; October 4, 2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old October 4, 2017, 10:29 AM   #6
shurshot

Sorry, double post due to my fat fingers!
Old October 5, 2017, 03:40 PM   #7
Doc Holliday 1950

I bought it & should get it next week. Will report on it after I put a few hundred rounds through it.

Doc
Old October 7, 2017, 08:26 PM   #8
Prof Young

My prediction is . . .

Doc:
My prediction is that you are gonna like it a lot. But let us know.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old October 9, 2017, 06:15 PM   #9
dogngun

Not a Windicator, but one of their Cowboy SAA types, 4 1/2" barrel .44 magnum...
Trigger is a little heavy...but it uses a transfer bar so it's safe with all 6 loaded...
(They license the transfer bar from Ruger)
Blue with a case-hardened frame...a real gem. My hiking gun.
Old October 10, 2017, 10:25 PM   #10
Doc Holliday 1950

Just an FYI. I went all 3 of the GS's in my area to buy the EEA 2" 357 mag. I had cash in my hands and showed each what Buds was willing to sell it for cash.
Their price was $283.00. The only extra charge was for my FFL to run my ID . This will be $35.00. Total is $318 out the door. Even showing the quote from Buds
the best any GS would do was $350 plus tax & $5 for ID check which = $377.25
The GS with their best price,where I shoot every Monday, was just under $60.00.
more.To those of us who are not experts in buying a gun, please check online for your best price. The more expensive the cost the better the cost is online.
$60 dollars is $60 dollars. I'm not a cheapskate, but $60 bucks is not chump change. I guess that most f the GS clients do not go on line to ck. their best prices

Doc
Old October 10, 2017, 10:50 PM   #11
Will_G

Doc, have you tried Gun Genie for a quote? I tried it and did get one quote for a Windicator .357 2 inch blued revolver for $325 including taxes and fees. (Though the other quotes ran $340 - $350.)

Gun Genie can be found here:

https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx
Old October 10, 2017, 10:54 PM   #12
ifithitu

I have the EAA .38/357 Mag. but it's not the 2" mine is the 4" and I might add it has the ugliest frame i've ever seen when I took the grips off it.
Old October 11, 2017, 07:47 PM   #13
shurshot

My LGS sold me mine for $317 plus tax.
Old October 12, 2017, 08:35 PM   #14
ifithitu

Here's a look at my EAA with grips and without grips.
Old October 12, 2017, 10:59 PM   #15
Doc Holliday 1950

That's a real eye opener. You hit the nail on the head. That's ugly.

Doc
Old October 12, 2017, 11:19 PM   #16
Doc Holliday 1950

I picked up my NIB EEA 357 magnum 2". It came in great shape tight no rattles & everything looked pretty good except the cylinder needed a quick cleaning and lube. I brought my stuff with me just in case. After the paper work was done I bought a box of Federal 130 grain 38 spec. FMJ ammo 50 count.
I shot at 15 then 25 feet and either hit every spot right on or within 1 ".
I forgot how well a solid steel frame felt. The DA needs some work but the SA was terrific. Let's see how the next few thousand rounds are.
Yes, I'm a very happy camper.

Doc